Hey pistol enthusiasts

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Re: Hey pistol enthusiasts

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Most confrontations involving guns occur in less than 10 feet distance. Honestly, you should go handle several models in various calibers and find the one that feels most natural to hold/fire. In a real-life scenario, I'd want my reaction to be as quick/natural as possible, and for the weapon to be reliable. The caliber would be a bit less important than those factors, for me. I still love the 1911 I mentioned above for all those reasons, but everyone is different.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm

The gun you are carrying is going to be better than any you left at home because it was too big or too heavy or not comfortable.

I like the .380 for that reason. Again, S&W. You can just stick it in your pocket.

I would actually like to better understand the 1911's afficianados' love for that pistol. Like you said, everyone is different. I can't stand those damn things.

Tell me what I'm missing, or don't appreciate. Serious request, not trying to argue.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:43 pm

For me, the selling points were the following on purchasing my 1911:

- The model I purchased (Kimber Super Match) is very reliable for accuracy and performance (no misfires to date, knock on wood)

- I tried lots of models, and the grip on this one was the most natural fitting for my hand (everyone is different on hand size and shape, thus the need to try different models and see what's most natural for you).

- When I was in law enforcement many years ago, I carried a .45 as my duty weapon (Reuger P90DC), so I was already accustomed to the kick and overall feel of a .45 cal. pistol, and I like a .45 cal round for knock-down power (again, most likely if ever needed for self-defense, will likely be in less than 10 feet, so knock-down of a .45 meant more to me than accuracy at longer distances that you get with say a 9mm).

- There is a nostalgia to owning a model 1911 as well, quite frankly. No, that doesn't factor into how convenient it may or may not be as a personal carry/home defense weapon, but I always wanted to own one and love the one I have. I think a small part of that is the simplicity and timelessness of the model.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I had a sheild and sold it not too long ago. I suggested that one and the Glock 26 to Seth today. I think that 26 is going to be my next one.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Makaveli on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:38 pm

How about the single-stack Glock ?
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Looked this up today and I actually just got back to the office from buying the single stack G43. Me and my VP both went with the intention of buying the 26 and both left with the 43. So slim and sleek, very easy to handle and to conceal. Thinking about running down to my moms house and firing a box of ammo through it tonight.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Previous

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum