F Crackhead thieves...

But it's okay to use the "F word" if you'd like...

F Crackhead thieves...

Postby eochs on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 am

So we had a break in at our house in Pflugerville on Monday... Jessica and Mia left home around 9am, and then at 12:30pm I got a call from the PD... The robbers had been spotted at another house and their license plate was reported by a good citizen... Cops caught up with them and found our checkbook in their car, and then called me... We actually got 90% of our stuff back... Jessica's jewelry, Tv's, iPad, android tablet, xbox, games, movies, etc were all taken and recovered, and back in our house 3 hours later... They caught 3 of the 4 assholes, with the last one having a warrant out now... What they did not recover was our laptop (macbook pro), $1500 in really good Wusthof Classic kitchen knives, an old digital camera, and a cordless drill... Possibly some other stuff, but nothing so important we haven't noticed it yet...

I did "Find My Mac" via iCloud and the macbook showed up online for 5 minutes in Round Rock yesterday... Gave the cops the address it was at, waiting to hear back on that... I did a remote lock on it so they won't be able to get into the operating system, but it will still connect to wifi/network to report where it is...

Nobody was home, and our cats and dog were safe, which is the most important thing... They waited for the house to be empty, and then tried prying off the security/screen door in the backyard... When they failed at that they used a long screwdriver and pressure to pop open a window in the back... I've installed a security bar last night on any windows not viewable from the two cross streets (we live on a corner lot), and locking thumbscrew window locks on all the downstairs windows... Having an alarm from SimpliSafe installed in a few days...

F crackheads... The cops said the house that the rest of our crap in was pretty f'ed up and trashed
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Re: F Crackhead thieves...

Postby eochs on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 am

Forgot to mention, I have a month old external hard drive backup of our pictures and music and such from the laptop, and we changed passwords for everything on monday night... Cancelled all the checks that they had in their possession for a few hours, changing the account number on our bank account today...

When they took the checks, we are lucky the missed our passports/SSN cards/birth certs in the same drawer... I was supposed to go get a safe deposit box last week for that stuff but ran out of time
eochs

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Assholes. Glad everyone was ok.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Terrible feeling. Glad everyone is okay.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm

That sucks, but the important thing is that all of you and the animals are safe.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:29 pm

So glad nobody was home and that you got so much stuff back. Terrible feeling, I'm sure.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby eochs on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Pretty creepy to think of people going through our house. They didn't close drawers they opened, so very happy to know our dresser doors were closed. They missed a bigger stash of Jessica's jewelry also. We are getting a maid to wipe this place clean
eochs

Postby eochs on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:31 am

Update: Found a Facebook group a few months ago where people sell stolen electronics in Austin. I've been searching it every two weeks or so for my laptop when bored at work. About two weeks ago I found one for sale with same model and specs as mine. Hit the guy up, and he sent me some pictures a few days ago. Zooming in on the picture of the bottom of it, I could pretty clearly see it was my serial number! Also, his location on Facebook (he forgot to turn off location sharing for messaging) showed the same address my laptop showed up on Find My Mac/iCloud back in February. Worked with the Pflugerville PD this week, including giving them my login info for an old fake Facebook account i used years ago to pull a prank on someone. Yesterday I watched live on Facebook as the messaged back and forth with the guy selling it, but then the guy stopped responding after an hour. I figured he smelled cops, but this morning after getting to work I got a call from PPD to come pick up my laptop!

Likely the guy who had it was letting one of the thieves who got away that day stay with him in February. In March that guy got picked up, and the seller took the laptop he left at the house. He gave the cops some story of how he bought it from someone else and didn't know it was stolen, but thought it was weird that the black guy that sold it to him had a picture of a white baby for the background on it :)

Big props to PPD for the assistance in setting up the sting/buy today! I asked if I could have a deputy badge since I did all the leg work, but they just laughed at me... oh well :)
eochs

Postby HornMafia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:43 am

Bravo.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby LMQueen on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:37 pm

That's great!
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 pm

You should be a detective. You have skills.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:29 pm

That's great.

It's also my experience that actual police are the worst people in the world at doing actual police work. Detective type stuff is what I mean. I'm surprised they were able to understand the logic of how you found the perp. You must be a great communicator.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby U2-Horn on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:34 am

#TrueDetectiveSeason2
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 pm

It took a LOT of explaining of how Facebook and iCloud work. They were not exactly tech savvy
eochs

Postby dahorns on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm

that's great... happy you were able to get your laptop back
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Return to f...