fuck this coaching staff

But it's okay to use the "F word" if you'd like...

fuck this coaching staff

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Fuck Mack Brown for proving he's the softest coach in the Big 12.

Fuck Harsin for letting Mack affect him and calling a conservative gameplan that cost this team the game. They played for Field Goals in a game where Touchdowns were required.

Fuck Manny Diaz for being a snake oil salesman for filling everyone's head with the thoughts of complex blitzing schemes and wonderment without having the ability to actually coach a defense.

Fuck them all.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Re: fuck this coaching staff

Postby HornMafia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Whoa.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 pm

I was over the line and for that I apologize. I'm still unhappy with whatever that was tonight.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

fuck this coaching staff

Postby HornMafia on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 pm

I'm not too upset about it. I think even if we score after that TO they come back and score.

Defense is a mess but I don't think Diaz forgot how to coach. Score 45 points at home you should win.

Don't really know why the defense is so bad but it is, and it finally bit us.

West Virginia is good, though. Really good.

I know one thing, you can't blame the crowd, that was the loudest I've heard DKR.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am

It was a great college football game.

I also heard more F-bombs tonight than I have in all of 2012 combined, mostly from the Asian trio of offensive coordinators sitting behind me. I'm already west side lower deck ...but outside the chairback rails by a seat...I guess I'll have to buy real tickets if I ever want to take my daughter. Otherwise, I hope to remember the radio and headphones next time.

I was surprised that WV had fight left at the end, and I really think Texas was too.... They would probably like some of those play calls back where they jammed Bergeron into 9 and 10 man fronts.... I did love the strategy at the time, however. I thought we had them on the ropes. There was an an arrogance to it that I wanted to see after the disrespect of going for 4th and 9 on us earlier. In retrospect we probably would have been better letting Ash shoot it out vs Geno Smith.

Speaking of... When the opponent is 5-5 on 4th down, you generally lose.

One major negative, I don't understand where our Linebackers are in the running game. I don't know shit about football but wonder what would happen if we just kept them more stationary instead of charging upfield. It seems to me they end up out of the play more often than not...as if we're defending 11 with 8 or 9 guys. To me it looks like the Linebacker play is the weakest part of the team, and the whole defense is getting blamed for it. Especially the secondary, I mean they get bashed for missing tackles -- and they have some -- but what do you expect to happen when guys are getting into the secondary at full speed with regularity, nobody is making all of those tackles. If the linebackers just stood there, at least they slow down the runner and then I guarantee you the DB's make those plays

Intriguing was Ash's improvisational plays on the final touchdown drive with clock ticking down. I personally think he has developed remarkably and might even be the team's best player.

There were so many close plays that went the other way...any one of which could have changed outcome...a dropped interception, the unfortunate Goodwin fumble, bad snaps, borderline PI, the fumble Smith had that looking back actually hurt us when we didn't get points but lost time, missed FG, I could go on and on...

I found myself Several times looking for holding flags to come flying on Both running and passing plays from West Virginia, but I'm not sure I can define what amount of holding necessitates a holding penalty being called.

I disagreed with the call-in crowd saying Texas got out-physical'd. I spent most of the game thinking WV wanted no part of this type of game. I thought we made a lot of things difficult for them in the passing game...but they kept making plays when they had to.

I thought the crowd was worth noting... I hadn't been in awhile, but the Texas fans were great. The sequence that included the Jeffcoat touchdown was LOUD.... It was reminiscent of the loudest sound I ever heard there previously....which was a sack on Ron Powlus by Dwight Kirkpatrick in the 1996 game one play after Bryant Westbrook jacked up Randy Kinder and had him rolling on the ground like he got shot in the head. Tonight might have been louder. It definitely featured the loudest "Texas! .... Fight!" I have ever heard.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Bucharest on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:56 am

I'll be more succinct.....they're better than us...not by much, but they're just better than us.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

Yeah I think we really could have won the game but at the end of the day I think WVU is just better right now.

I didn't like running Joe B straight up the centers ass on 1st and 2nd down after the fumble. Would have liked to have seen Ash on a roll out or something, which I''m sure is what was coming on 3rd down but the bad snap happened. Oh well. Like Matt said I'm not so sure they don't go score again to take the lead back anyway. Would have been interesting to see though because I bet the place really would have been loud then.

The two WVU fans next to us said last night was the loudest stadium they'd ever been in other than LSU.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Since my completely irrational thoughts have dissipated I'll delve into the issues that I have.

There is not a single thing this team does well on defense. The defensive ends are the only possible exception to that and it's hard to gauge how dominant they can be when they're being held every play. The defensive tackles are so-so at best with good flashes and a lot of inconsistency. The linebackers are an absolute disaster without Hicks on the field. The secondary is still rife with poor tackling and poor coverage all across the board. Okafor and Jeffcoat are the studs they've proven to be in the past. Nobody else has stepped up.

Most of those problems fall on Diaz. If players make mistakes once that's on the players, but these are issues that go back to week one of the season and haven't been corrected. Also, it's time to go back to basics and find things you can do at a basic level that work for you. You can design complex defenses and blitz schemes all you want, but they require a level of excellence at a base defense to make happen. Texas needs to establish itself at a basic level on defense and build from there. They have to take a ton of steps backwards from where they want to be to improve and that sucks, but there's no alternative right now.

The offense scored 38 points (well, really the last 7 were garbage time, but still) that should be good enough to win games. It's not their fault that it wasn't. Still, I get that the offense is so neutered because they have to try and keep their own defense off the field, but in the red zone the ONLY acceptable outcome in a game like this is to score touchdowns. You can say you don't want to get in a shootout with West Virginia, but like it or not you were in one. They were ultra-conservative in the redzone putting themselves in bad situations and settled for field goals twice in the second half when they needed touchdowns. They seemed to put handcuffs back on Ash who earned trust last week.

The fact is both teams had alternate plans on defense: Texas said we're not letting Geno throw for 400 yds, beat us on the ground and got embarrassed. West Virginia said we're not getting bullied up front you're going to have to win the game in the air and Texas didn't even try to.

You can say West Virginia is the better team all you want, but the fact of the matter remains: this was a chess game and Holgorsen and his staff owned Texas and theirs. There was never a time where it felt like Texas was in control of the game. It felt from the opening kickoff that they were hanging on for dear life.

Sadly, everyone seems to be ok with this. Nobody is batting an eyelash that a coach making $5 million a year with one of the highest paid staffs in college football (if not the highest) has now lost 8 straight games to ranked opponents and now lost 8 home games over the last three seasons. Those numbers aren't acceptable. I'm sorry.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

fuck this coaching staff

Postby HornMafia on Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm

So where was your thread before the year predicting this team to be Big 12 champs and contenders for the title game?

It is what it is. We don't have the team right now to win those things. But it is coming. I'd bet at the end of the year we're a lot better than they are right now.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 am

I still say the offense has too much Boise State in the offense.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby UTwiz on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 am

The only reason the offense didn't score 60 is because we DIDN'T do more Boise St. Replace half of those 2 backs, 3 TEs dives with wildcats, jet handoffs to Monroe/Daje, or God forbid Ash attacking a porous secondary downfield, and we name the score. I'm not saying we necessarily would have won if that happened (the Berg offense was designed to keep ball away from WV's offense, and everything tells me they simply would have kept pace). But this line (who played fairly well on Saturday) just isn't to a point where they can line up in a pro set and drive people off the ball with 5-6 guys. In order to be consistently successful (and dangerous), this offense needs creativity and for the elite playmakers to be given the ball in designed positions to succeed.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am

When I say Boise offense I mean all the side to side plays. It seems like the only plays where Texas loses yards are the wide screens or end arounds. Then again those are just what I remember from OSU and WVU that I saw.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

I think the problem with the end around thing is that everybody in the stadium knows when it is coming.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby UTwiz on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 am

I think they've been saving the secondary plays that flow off jet sweeps' play action for OU week. Still, that play has averaged 5+ yards even when defenses know it's coming.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm

I couldn't believe we had the ball on the 12 and ran joe b two times in a row. Then, ash said he lost track of time on the botched snap as he was checking from a run to a pass. That means we were going to run it again on third and long. Which means the staff played scared. We should have been going for the absolute w there.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Makaveli on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 pm

It wasn't scared, IMO

I think...that they thought WVU was ready to lay down at the end. this is precisely how they beat Oklahoma State. They guessed wrong here.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 am

bump.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

fuck this coaching staff

Postby LMQueen on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Amen. None of them admitted any wrongdoing during the post game. Don't even sound upset.
You just got your ass handed to you and the best you can do is "we're going to work on it."
Fuck you.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Makaveli on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 am

yeah, you had it right the first time.

The playcalling to start the game on offense was worse than anything we ever saw from the hated Greg Davis. They were just wanting to get settled in and make sure OU knew we wanted to play tiddly winks and not let it get too serious. I think the objective of the first drive was to run 3 plays without turning it over and punt.

The players are so soft, so scared, and so disinterested it is embarrassing.

Young kids wouldn't typically be like that, in that environment especially. Stoops' players never do that. I suspect its the softness of Mack Brown trickling down.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

fuck this coaching staff

Postby HornMafia on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am

I was infuriated when we came out in shotgun the first three plays. Not who we are.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Return to f...