Putter Grips---Larger

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Putter Grips---Larger

Postby oneputtlarry on Wed May 27, 2015 7:46 am

Just wanted to share with you my take on the larger, oversized, putter grips. A few years back when the larger putter grips first came appeared, I have to say I had reservations about them. With that said, about a year ago, I began experimenting with the idea by adding tennis racket grip tape to my putter grip... My thinking was if I didn't like the extra thickness, the tennis wrap would be easy to remove. I still like a tapered-style putter grip instead of the type of fat grip that is the same thickness/diameter for the full length of the grip, although many like that type. Also, I recommend the grip should be flat on the front side to give you a better straight back, straight through putting stroke.
Considering I built my tapered grip up with a couple layers of tennis grip wrap and have been practicing with it, my putting has improved considerably, specifically with "accuracy/direction of putt" & "distance control!" And for some reason, the larger grip seems to make putting "less tense." In support of the oversized putter grip, a friend that I golf with at my Men’s golf club had one of the oversized grips installed on his putter grip about a year ago and his putting has improved considerably and he has always been an excellent putter.
I'm now a believer and just purchased my first oversized tapered putter grip. For a small investment in a little tennis wrap grip tape, give the oversized grip a try/test...I suggest the tennis wrap tape that you can buy at many sporting goods stores, tennis section...it's easy to add and remove layers. Again, I do like the front of my putter grip to be flat... just works better with the straight back, straight through stroke that I advocate.
Don't forget, don't make "putting" a complex/complicated/scientific process!
Keep the "putting" process simple: Read your line, take your stance, stroke the putt...Ace the putt!
Larry
P.S. Special for our members and visitors, please take a 40% discount on my book, The Putting Edge...How To One Putt Every Green! $3.00 plus postage. Make sure to put "LMFanzone" on your order.
Last edited by oneputtlarry on Thu May 28, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist." http://www.theputtingedge.com
oneputtlarry
All Conference
All Conference

Re: Putter Grips---Larger

Postby LMQueen on Wed May 27, 2015 9:58 am

I think my Dad is using them now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Makaveli on Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm

I experimented off and on with different sizes for a long time, and putted with a huge grip for a full summer about 25 years ago when I played a lot more.

Ultimately, I don't like it. Here's the deal... There's a trade off between feedback and keeping the wrists firmer. The only redeeming quality of the oversized grips is that it quietens the hands. But what if you already have the wrists (properly) out of the putting stroke ? The result is you give up feel and gain nothing for it.

I think there's a place for it in the high-handicap space and I realize some good players get paid a lot of money to use it because the manufacturers want to sell the grips. This would be to their detriment on speed control on long putts but they're able to overcome that due to mind boggling number of repititions that most of us don't have access to.

I think those high handicap players, if serious enough about getting better that they're prompted to buy new stuff, would be better served learning how the wrists should behave in a putting stroke. It's one of the few things in golf that's easy to learn.

I agree on a flat top albeit for different reasons ...and there's also value -in my opinion -- to any shape that promotes palms-opposing but those aren't directly related to size.

If you don't believe me on size, hit some putts with the grip off completely and see how much control you perceive and how quickly you start achieving perfect distance.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby MBK271 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Tee moved to the Super Stroke fat grip a while ago and he loves it. And he's certainly not a high-handicap player.

I haven't ever tried it out but I've definitely considered it. I like to "feel" putts so maybe it isn't for me given what Robert is saying. Still, I trust Tee on these things. I need to roll a few putts with his putter.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu May 28, 2015 7:07 am

I'm not a big fan when I've tried it out. I actually played without a grip on my putter through much if college, and now I have a really thin one on it. I'm like Frazier in that I like to feel the putt.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Makaveli on Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 am

Exactly.

Anytime you wrap that extra rubber around it you lose the innate connection to your target and it becomes more of a mechanical exercise. Could probably putt for longer, of course. But usually you just want to knock it in the hole, put it back in the bag, and move along....
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby LMQueen on Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 am

Ha!

Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu May 28, 2015 11:52 am

Makaveli wrote:Exactly.

Anytime you wrap that extra rubber around it you lose the innate connection to your target and it becomes more of a mechanical exercise. Could probably putt for longer, of course. But usually you just want to knock it in the hole, put it back in the bag, and move along....

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Bravo sir
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby oneputtlarry on Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 pm

LMQueen wrote:I think my Dad is using them now as well.

Can you get some feedback on how he likes the larger grip?
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist." http://www.theputtingedge.com
oneputtlarry
All Conference
All Conference

Postby oneputtlarry on Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 pm

I've always been a pretty good putter, but having watched friends putting improvement, I had to give it a test. Another reason is that after my hand surgery, I've had to use an overlapping grip so it was easier to go to the larger grip… And considering I've been a really good putter, my putting has improved!

Makaveli wrote:I experimented off and on with different sizes for a long time, and putted with a huge grip for full summer about 25 years ago when I played a lot more.

Ultimately, I don't like it. Here's the deal... There's a trade off between feedback and keeping the wrists firmer. The only redeeming quality of the oversized grips is that it quietens the hands. But what if you already have the wrists (properly) out of the putting stroke ? The result is you give up feel and gain nothing for it.

I think there's a place for it in the high-handicap space and I realize some good players get paid a lot of money to use it because the manufacturers want to sell the grips. This would be to their detriment on speed control on long putts but they're able to overcome that due to mind boggling number of repititions that most of us don't have access to.

I think those high handicap players, if serious enough about getting better that they're prompted to buy new stuff, would be better served learning how the wrists should behave in a putting stroke. It's one of the few things in golf that's easy to learn.

I agree on a flat top albeit for different reasons ...and there's also value -in my opinion -- to any shape that promotes palms-opposing but those aren't directly related to size.

If you don't believe me on size, hit some putts with the grip off completely and see how much control you perceive and how quickly you start achieving perfect distance.
oneputtlarry
All Conference
All Conference

Postby oneputtlarry on Thu May 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Give it a test...I would like your take on the larger grip? Like I said, I prefer the tapered grip over the large grip that is the same diameter and thickness. Also, I think there should be a flat side which helps with a straight back, straight through stroke...just my take.

MBK271 wrote:Tee moved to the Super Stroke fat grip a while ago and he loves it. And he's certainly not a high-handicap player.

I haven't ever tried it out but I've definitely considered it. I like to "feel" putts so maybe it isn't for me given what Robert is saying. Still, I trust Tee on these things. I need to roll a few putts with his putter.
oneputtlarry
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Makaveli on Thu May 28, 2015 3:53 pm

oneputtlarry wrote:hand surgery

That's an extenuating circumstance that would change everything I said. Arthritis would also.

If it's only one hand perhaps you could make your other hand the dominant stroking hand. Or if you could grip it with the good hand low then you'd only have to wrap just the tip.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Thu May 28, 2015 5:05 pm

:)
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum