Golf

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Golf

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm thinking about taking the plunge. How does one get started in the world of golf? I know that it's a horrible idea to go out and spend a squillion dollars on clubs that probably won't fit me anyway and start hacking away, but other than that I'm pretty much clueless.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:55 pm

I've got an old set of irons you can use while you're learning--you could just get them back to me sometime in the future. I don't really have any plans to sell them. I bought a new set of irons last year.

This is them:

http://www.golfreview.com/cat/irons/arm ... 40crx.aspx

I also have an old carry bag you could use with them.

I don't know that it's such a horrible idea to just take a random set and start hacking away--it will take a while for you to get comfortable with the basic swing to get remotely consistent so that you could get better fitted for a set.

It is a good idea not to spend a squillion dollars on the random set though.
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm

As for how to get started, I'd try and find the cheapest range possible and just start trying to beat some balls with somebody else that somewhat knows what they're doing. And I'd try to find a range that has grass instead of astroturf mats.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 am

U2, are those blades? Might not best for a first-timer...

You can find some cheap iron sets out there. If you know any "used" sporting goods stores they'll usually have a set for pretty cheap.

Like U2 said the best thing to do is hit the range with somebody that knows what they're doing. You might pick up one of those Golf For Dummies books, too, I read one of those when I was just starting out and it was great.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 am

They are one of those that are a little more blade-like in the short irons, and more cavity-back like for the longer irons. But yeah, maybe not the best choice for a beginner. He might really skart skulling some bahllz with these.
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:41 am

:lol:
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby LMQueen on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:01 am

I will ask my dad what he has in his trunk. All you need to start is a driver; 5 iron ; 7 iron ; 9 iron ; wedge and putter.
Check out golfsmith. Sometimes they have nights on the range wher pros will walk around and give you tips. Most important thing to get right first is your grip.
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 am

In all honesty get an old set of Big Bertha irons. You can get a used set on Ebay for pretty cheap. They are the most forgiving set of irons for a beginner IMHO.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby MBK271 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 am

My advice is to be patient.

Seriously, depending on how often you practiced, if I were teaching you it'd be 3-6 months before I even took you to play 9 holes.

Robbi's right... start by having someone show you the proper grip. Keep a couple of clubs around the house and as you walk by, pick it up and make sure that your grip is solid.

The second lesson would be setup. As Dan mentioned, until you hit thousands of balls your swing isn't going to feel comfortable. The same thing with your stance. You have to be comfortable over the ball before you even try to swing. So, make sure that the clubs around your house are of different lengths; i.e. a 4 iron in one room, 7 in another, PW in another. As you enter or leave the room, pick it up, griop it and set up your stance.

First time on the range (3rd or 4th lesson) I'd spend 15 minutes with you just attempting to clip a tee that is placed in the ground. Your swing shouldn't even pass your knee. Backswing to the knee, follow through the same. Just keep hitting the tee focusing on a comfortable grip and stance. If you do well, we'll throw a few balls down and see if you can make contact just swinging from knee to knee.

The next week, hip to hip.

The next shoulder to shoulder.

Then, eventually the full swing.

Then you have to have a putting lesson... a chipping lesson... a pitching lesson.... bunker lesson... hitting the driver...

BE PATIENT! It's an extremely difficult game so don't get frustrated. Ok, everyone gets frustrated... just stick with it.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 am

I can't even imagine what it would be like to try and take up golf at this point in my life. Glad my Dad encouraged me to play when I was a kid. Hopefully my kids will want to play a little too.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 am

Yeah... I'm seriously late to the party here, but I figure that I'm leaving a bunch of opportunities to be outside and drink beer on the table by not golfing.

I'm a pretty patient person when it comes to stuff like this and realize that even getting to a point where you're not embarassingly bad is a pretty arduous process, so I think this will go well if I put the necessary effort into it.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby ChuckNorrisHorn on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 am

just buy a driver and see if you can hit it 300 yards...thats the only fun in golf anyway...

grip it and rip it
It was basically like starring in a bukkake video with Charlie the Tuna.

ChuckNorrisHorn
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 am

12ozLongneck wrote:Yeah... I'm seriously late to the party here, but I figure that I'm leaving a bunch of opportunities to be outside and drink beer on the table by not golfing.

This is a great point...

12ozLongneck wrote:I'm a pretty patient person when it comes to stuff like this and realize that even getting to a point where you're not embarassingly bad is a pretty arduous process, so I think this will go well if I put the necessary effort into it.

...because this is the best most of us will ever do from a performance aspect.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 am

I didn't begin playing until I was out of high school. Not that I'm Tiger Woods or anything, but you can pick it up later in life and still not completely embarrass yourself out there (just mildly embarrass yourself).
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am

It sounds like you have the perfect attitude.

Yes, it is a lot of fun getting out and drinking beer on the course. It's actually a fantastic time.

And it sounds like you have realistic expectations.

As Drew said, It's all about just getting to where you aren't embarrassing yourself. As long as you don't play slow, I don't care how bad you are.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:38 am

MBK271 wrote:It's all about just getting to where you aren't embarrassing yourself. As long as you don't play slow, I don't care how bad you are.

That's what she said??
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Reinheitsgebot on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:18 pm

spend money and take lessons.

its no different than playing music.

dont waste time practicing it wrong.
learn it right the first time.
"In bed on non-recreational drugs is no place for a drinking man" - Wheeler
Reinheitsgebot
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Reinheitsgebot wrote:spend money and take lessons.

its no different than playing music.

dont waste time practicing it wrong.
learn it right the first time.

That's also what she said.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue May 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Had my first lesson tonight. It's a group clinic for beginners. There are 4 of us in the group, but the instructor is very active and everybody gets quite a bit of individual attention.

We spent quite a bit of time just working on being able to pick up a club and properly grip it. After that, we spent a long time on a mat clipping a tee and working up to a full swing. After that, it was balls off of a tee. It's really fucking hard to hit a golf ball well. I hit exactly one good shot.

It looks like the biggest hurdles for me right off the bat are going to be keeping the club from drifting back in my backswing and keeping my right arm from getting too involved in the swing.

Good times.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed May 14, 2008 7:08 am

That sounds like a great idea to begin.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 am

Hank Haney Golf Center in Dallas = Ground Zero for hot golfer chicks. Not an LPGA bull dagger in sight. I approve.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 am

Edit: F double posts.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Hmmm... that opening lesson sounds like an exact description of my post on how to pick up the game.

I might've played once or twice.

I would've sent you home and (as I mentioned) had you master your grip and stance first but I'm sure everyone is excited about trying to hit the damn thing.

Like I said, put a couple of clubs around the house and as you walk by them, pick it up and take a stance. Then check your grip and stance until it is second nature and you feel very comfortable over the ball. I can't stand guys who look really uncomfortable over the ball b/c they are looking for the perfect stance.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:19 am

Went and played 18 at Pecan Hollow in Plano with a guy from work today. Some random dude who came to play by himself joined up with us at the first tee. A good time was had by all. I shot a 64 on the front 9 and a 56 on the back 9. That's not too terrible considering that I didn't bother bringing anything stronger than a 5 iron to the course.

Waaaaaaaaaay too much of this:

Step 1. Miss the green from 100 yards or less.
Step 2. Shank a pitch/chip
Step 3. Chip to around 10 feet
Step 4. Two putt

I managed to pull a good shot out of my ass on 18 and dropped a chip shot in the hole. I felt like I was Tiger Woods or Chi Chi Rodriguez.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:12 am

:lol:

Chi Chi! Out of all the names you could've chosen.

You should've done the matador with your wedge and killed the bull.

Congrats on the chip in! I'm glad to see that you are sticking with the game.
MBK271
All American
All American

Next

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum