Anybody here ever run a marathon?

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Anybody here ever run a marathon?

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm

LMFZ is pretty much the Fountain Of All Knowledge, so I'm sure somebody knows something about this.

I'm planning on running the half marathon at White Rock this December, but the more I think about it, the more I want to do the full 26.2. I could get up right this second and run 13 miles if I really needed to, so there's really nothing exciting about that for me.

Anyways, on to the question... I'm in school and time will be tight. If I find myself dropping some of the longer midweek runs on a regular basis, am I going to wind up injuring myself with the long runs once I get up into 16-20 mile territory? I'm not going to go out and try to support my weekly long runs with only a day or two of other running during the week or anything stupid like that, but I could see myself missing a run a week when I'm really busy with school.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Woods on run .com
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby LMQueen on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Bob is our resident marathon runner.

Arch has rowed one. And maybe run one?
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby ChuckNorrisHorn on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:44 am

howieman has one marathon

i think as long as you can run ~40-45 miles a week you will be fine.
depending on your pace...if you are crazy and want a 3 hour time you need up to 60 to 65 miles a week.
It was basically like starring in a bukkake video with Charlie the Tuna.

ChuckNorrisHorn
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Bucharest on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:11 am

I have two marathons under my belt, albeit a few years back, although I still run every day.

Howie's right(*falls over), when training for a marathon, you're actually not supposed to run 15-20 mile runs in preparation. The truth is, if you can get to 10 miles......you can get to 26.2, it's all mental at that point. I would hammer out a 15 mile run here and there just to see what it was like, and to see what I felt like the next day, but my longest runs were in the 8-12 mile range when training, and in the final two weeks before the marathon, I never ran past 8.....too much running before is obviously a bad thing.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Yikes... It's hard to argue with success, but I can't see myself finishing a marathon after having my longest run be 12 or 13 miles.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:18 am

I've completed 4 marathons but only on the water with a couple oars in my hands. However, I am training for the Austin Marathon for this coming February. No strict regiment right now. Just trying to get out there 3-4 times and week and getting some miles done. I try to do at least one 10 mile run a week, usually the entire hike & bike trail.

Always take into consideration your knees when running. You don't want to do damage to them by extending yourself. From what I understand, RunTex has people do a 20 mile run about a month before the marathon so your body knows what it's like at that point. I reckon adrenaline and will takes over after that.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum