Hey pistol enthusiasts

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Hey pistol enthusiasts

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:30 am

After a number of years removed from my law enforcement days, I've decided to take up shooting as a hobby as well as arm myself with a solid self defense weapon. I've always wanted to own a 1911 .45 ACP so I've been shopping around. Right now, I'm very partial to purchasing a Kimber 1911 Super Match II, but still need to handle/fire one first (along with several other models). It's a bit pricy for self protection, but since I'll also be shooting regulary (that's the theory, anyhow), I think this one will have it all and is as best I can tell a quality-made, reputable model.

I know asking about 1911's is like asking if you prefer Ford, Chevy or Dodge pickups, but if you own one (or have) and want to share any opinions, I'd love to hear them.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

By the way, here's the Kimber 1911 Super Match II...

Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:50 pm

don't have a .45

I want one.

I will probably get a Beretta.

right now I have two Beretta 9mm.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:14 am

I ended up buying the Kimber 1911 Super Match. It's identical to the Super Match II, except that the II has an additional (3rd) safety, which as explained to me is in response to some goofy legislation in California and generally it is frowned upon by 1911 purists as being outside the original military specs (a factor in resale value). It came with the target sheet that Kimber shot it with (they do that with their Super Match pistols). The grouping - from 25 yards - was probably 3/4 inch tops.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby BlitzBlitzBlitz on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:34 am

Nice pistol. Get going on a little custom work and that thing will be a fine match shooter.

I've got a .45 Kimber compact stainless. It was built when Kimber was in Yonkers, so it doesn't have that dumbass firing pin safety. It's pretty heavy for a carry gun, but pretty much anything over a .380 is uncomfortable anyway.

This was my first Kimber and I've been very pleased with it. All the hype that I always heard about Kimber was more than delivered as far as I'm concerned. For a compact .45, it is pretty damned accurate. Small groupings with double and triple taps are almost effortless.
I've got a Hogue wraparound grip, night sights, extended magazine pinky guard, polished ejector, and some trigger work too. It has almost replaced my P99 as my carry weapon.
"I haven't slept for 10 days. Because that would be too long."
BlitzBlitzBlitz
Walk-On
Walk-On

Postby Markaholic on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:07 am

I've honestly never heard of Kimber before. How do they compare price-wise to Beretta and others?

Performance?
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:17 am

When it comes to 1911's, which is what I was in the market for, Kimber produces high-end models at more reasonable prices (they are a very large outfit from what I understand) than other high-end makers.

The Super Match I purchased represents their top of the line model 1911 and runs around $1,700 give or take depending on where you shop for it. They make other 1911 models that retail for as low as around $800 I believe. By comparison, many of the "high end" brands for 1911's can run you several thousands of dollars.

From all I researched, however, the Kimber 1911's perform as well and in a number of cases outperformed their pricier brethren. So, from my perspective I purchased a top notch pistol at a discount. I also like the feel and grip of the Super Match over other models and brands. I looked at Les Baers (sp?) which are highly regarded for their 1911's (and pricier), but they didn't feel like a good fit to me.

I honestly can't speak to other calibre pistols that Kimber makes.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Re: Hey pistol enthusiasts

Postby Mr. Peabody on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Last time I posted on this thread, I didn't have a 1911. Now I have 4.

I have two Wilson Combat 1911s which are my favorites. I also have a Smith and Wesson performance center 1911 and a Springfield Armory custom 1911.

I love 1911 pistols. They are so much fun to shoot.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't have a 1911, but "need" another subcompact 9mm carry piece.

What do you think.... Kimber Solo vs. Sig-Sauer P938 ?

Thumb safety is a must for me. I know, I know...but I want it. I'd prefer a polymer gun, basically what would be like a single-stack pocket-Glock plus the safety but no such thing exists. I have the Sig 238 in .380 and think it's too heavy (maybe I should wear a belt!), but here we're talking 9mm on the same frame so that would probably be OK and I'm not worried about recall in this spot here either. Oddly enough that gun is 1911-"style". Advantage is familiarity due to owning the 238. On the other hand, the Kimber Solo looks sweet...I love the rounded edges and ambi-safety...but I think there were some problems early and it's picky about ammo or somesuch. Bueller ?

EDIT: I should add the SAO and that cocked hammer makes me a little nervous even with the safety engaged because we're talking about something I'd like the option to carry in the pocket...without thinking about Plaxicoing myself....that's the whole point. Maybe 60% "IWB" but not always. And other things I wish existed....perhaps a Smith & Wesson like the Bodyguard 380 upsized to 9mm but without the built in laser or better yet a S&W M&P 9mm but now single stack, short barrell true pocket pistol....not the allegedly "subcompact" versions they have. Just like the Glock 26, they are too big. I want something Small. Very small.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Kimber Solo:

Sig P938, I'd replace the grips with black rubber:

Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:09 am

I did not know that Mak was a gun enthusiast.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Mak - I am no help to your specific question on the Kimber Solo, other than to say that I have never regretted purchasing my Kimber (Supermatch) 1911. Great pistol, great fit/feel, great price for the quality. Take that endorsement of Kimber, for what it's worth.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby ChuckNorrisHorn on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:02 am

12ozLongneck wrote:I did not know that Mak was a gun enthusiast.

i think mak has lost his mind...he dreams up car chases at 11pm starbucks runs...
It was basically like starring in a bukkake video with Charlie the Tuna.

ChuckNorrisHorn
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Makaveli on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:29 am

Starbucks closes at 10pm. It was 11 only because of hour long chase. Check the police reports. Dude is behind bars, Admitted to trying to take me out because he thought I was doing his wife or somesuch. I wasn't. But the other guy drives a car like mine, and allegedly even looks like me....at least at 100mph in the dark.

You think that shit is funny, but I promise you don't want to experience an incident like that. Would rather take my chances with the masked gunman poker thing again
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Hey pistol enthusiasts

Postby LMQueen on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:59 am

WHAT?!?

I think a separate post is in order for that story.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Makaveli on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:29 am

That was Aug 26, 2011... Will tell you about it sometime.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby ChuckNorrisHorn on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 am

Makaveli wrote:You think that shit is funny, but I promise you don't want to experience an incident like that. Would rather take my chances with the masked gunman poker thing again

I dont think its funny at all, but it seemed like enough time had passed a joke could be made.

Apparently when the combo of mak and howieman get together weird shit goes down...Coming to a city near you in may....
It was basically like starring in a bukkake video with Charlie the Tuna.

ChuckNorrisHorn
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am

I have this pistol and love it. Also have my CHL now.

'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Makaveli on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I have exactly that except in 9mm, and I love it also.

But do you carry that thing?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby MBK271 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Ok, so I'm now in the market and am looking for some advice. I have 11 firearms in the house but most of them are rifles and all of the pistols are at least 30 years old. An old-school S&W .357 Magnum is the most "modern" pistol that I own. I've never actually purchased my own firearm... all have been handed down to me over the years.

So, I'm looking to purchase a pistol for home protection. I've always wanted a .45 because they are badass but I think a 9MM is the way to go from a practical standpoint. I don't plan to get my CHL at any point in the next 5 years or so but I'm not saying that I won't. So, I'm weighing buying something that I can keep at the home and then eventually carry (i.e., 9MM) or get a bigger gun for home like a .45 and then just buy a smaller gun if I ever decide that I want to carry.

What are the thoughts on the board? From reading this thread and the CHL thread, there look to be a couple of good options for a 9MM: Smith & Wesson – M&P 9MM or Sig Sauer P250 9MM

Are these the two "can't lose" options? What about Beretta or Glock?
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:25 am

You guys and your guns are so adorable.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 pm

If you're only keeping it at the house then get a judge
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby MBK271 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:04 am

What in the hell is a judge?
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:23 am

It's a pistol that shoot .410 shotgun shells though. It can also shoot .45.

It's nice having the shotgun though in a home defense situation as you don't have to worry about how far that bullet is going beyond your interned target.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Makaveli on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:44 am

I like the judge idea but he mentioned possibly carrying in the future.

To me, we're talking 9mm here for sure.

I'm biased towards the Smith & Wesson offerings, particularly the 9mm shield in this case. The negative is that it isn't much fun to shoot.

The Glock 17 is, but that's too big to carry. I prefer the S&W M&P 9mm there slightly too because I like an ambi thumb safety. The Sig stuff is too heavy for me and I don't like the single action 1911 deal. Scares me, seems more vulnerable to accidents.

The more I think about it, trying to get one gun for both could lead you to a place before long where that pistol isn't your primary choice for either.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Next

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum