Nike+iPod

Official board of the LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Nike+iPod

Postby AC-3 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:14 pm

I was recently diagnosed w/ Type 1 diabetes (the autoimmune disease, not the poor lifestyle kind), and although I'm in average shape - 5'10", 180 lbs, play basketball 2x/wk for 2.5hrs/ea - I've always "wanted" to get into running. The problem was I HATE running - the only reason I tolerate it in basketball is that it's part of the game.

Now with my new diabetes diagnosis, I've redoubled my efforts. I realized that the only thing I like more than hate of running is competition. When I saw this Nike+iPod thing I knew it was my ticket.

Nike and Apple hit a homerun for me on this thing - there's a sensor that goes in your shoe (Nike sells special [$$$] shoes for it but you can slip it in your sock or shoe pouch, it's about the size of a quarter and feather light), and a tiny plug-in for your iPod Nano. The sensor tracks your distance, pace, estimates your calories burned, and stores it on the iPod. Then when you sync your iPod it uploads all that data to nikeplus.com where you can see graphs of your runs, set goals, and compete in challenges w/ other runners from around the World. The coolest thing is when you need a boost during your run, you can pre-designate your "power song" and hit a button to play it to pump you up.

Anyway I am not a huge distance runner since I'm so used to bball style sprint-n-stop interval running, so I'm just working up past the mile marker (I did 1.5 miles @ 11:30/mile pace w/o stopping tonight, an accomplishment for me, although glacial for most). I figured I'd see if there is anyone from LMFZ w/ one of these gadgets so we can do a challenge and motivate one another...
AC-3
Starter
Starter

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:33 am

I don't, but wish I did. That sounds like a great gadget and like a great way to keep motivated (i.e. competing/tracking progress with others).

Kudos to you for being proactive on your health and best of luck with the running program.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Re: Nike+iPod

Postby edavis3 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:59 am

AC-3 wrote:I was recently diagnosed w/ Type 1 diabetes (the autoimmune disease, not the poor lifestyle kind), and although I'm in average shape - 5'10", 180 lbs, play basketball 2x/wk for 2.5hrs/ea - I've always "wanted" to get into running. The problem was I HATE running - the only reason I tolerate it in basketball is that it's part of the game.

Now with my new diabetes diagnosis, I've redoubled my efforts. I realized that the only thing I like more than hate of running is competition. When I saw this Nike+iPod thing I knew it was my ticket.

Nike and Apple hit a homerun for me on this thing - there's a sensor that goes in your shoe (Nike sells special [$$$] shoes for it but you can slip it in your sock or shoe pouch, it's about the size of a quarter and feather light), and a tiny plug-in for your iPod Nano. The sensor tracks your distance, pace, estimates your calories burned, and stores it on the iPod. Then when you sync your iPod it uploads all that data to nikeplus.com where you can see graphs of your runs, set goals, and compete in challenges w/ other runners from around the World. The coolest thing is when you need a boost during your run, you can pre-designate your "power song" and hit a button to play it to pump you up.

Anyway I am not a huge distance runner since I'm so used to bball style sprint-n-stop interval running, so I'm just working up past the mile marker (I did 1.5 miles @ 11:30/mile pace w/o stopping tonight, an accomplishment for me, although glacial for most). I figured I'd see if there is anyone from LMFZ w/ one of these gadgets so we can do a challenge and motivate one another...

I have one/w the shoes (Christmas present from the wife)...I am running between 12-15 miles per week. It is a pretty cool gadget. I am sure you would kill me in a challenge though.
edavis3
All American
All American

Return to The Non-Sports Sports Forum