Favorite Characters from TheWire

The Drew Dillenger Memorial Forum

Favorite Characters from TheWire

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:04 pm

***SPOILERS***

1. Omar: Perhaps the baddest man in TV history. I'll never hear "The farmer in the Dell" and not think of Mr. Little.

2. Bunk Moreland: Pussiiie! He could make "motherfucker" mean so many different things.

3. Stringer Bell: Part G, part Donald Trump.

4. McNulty: Did things his own way, even when it was the worst possible idea.

5. Bunny Colvin: Despite the moral gray area that was Hamsterdam, he was one of the few truly good people on this show.

6. Boadie: I hadn't been that upset about a fictional death since Billy Costigan.

7. Bubbles: This one took a long time, but it's hard to not finally root for him. Seeing Bubs climb the stairs in the final ep was as satisfying a moment as I have witnessed on TV.

8. Gus: I didn't lime S5 as much as the others, but he was a solid addition. I may have stayed in journalism had I worked for a guy like him.

9. Cutty: his redemption was another satisfying turn.

10. Slim Charles: I loved when he popped Cheese at the very end. What a bastard that guy was.

It was hard to leave out Lester, Carver, Clay Davis (sheeeeeeeeeeit), Theresa D'Agostino, Mayor Carcetti's campaign manager and Nick Sobatka's girlfriend's tits, but I was a fan of them, too.

It was easy to omit Rawls, Herc, Johnny, Commissioner Burrell, Ziggy Sobotka, Cheese, The Greek, Sgt. Landsman and motherfucking Cheese.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Favorite Characters from TheWire

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 am

My top three is the same as yours, just flip two and three.

1. Omar - Oh indeed.

2. Stringer Bell - I disagree with your Donald Trump sentiment. I think that was the most amazing element of his arc. Here's a guy who runs this tight ship in the drug world. He's ruthless, calculated and smarter than anyone else in the game, but when he gets outside of that world in business he's lost. It's so humbling to see him get played by Clay Davis the way he did.

3. Bunk - I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick.

4. Bodie - The tragedy of his story was only lessened because my dumbass cousin-in-law spoiled it for me when he KNEW I had to watch season four.

5. Bubbles - Season four is my favorite to watch, but I have a hard time watching any scene with him during that season. It's just stomach punch after stomach punch. His redemption was so perfect.

6. Bunny Colvin - The Hamsterdam thing made me love season 3 because I think it's a really interesting social question. I wish there could have been more of a role for him in season five.

7. Carver - Season 4 and 5 Carver would probably rank higher, but he's such a tool in the first couple of seasons, which as a whole, makes his character development probably the best character development of the entire series imo. The scene with him and Randy at the hospital in season four breaks my heart.

8. Clay Davis - shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

9. Wee-bay - There's a scene in season four that kills me. Effectively, the cops are good guys and the dealers are bad guys. McNulty is a shitty father. Bunk is an ok father, just kinda not around for his kids a lot of the time. Wee bay has killed more people than he can probably count, yet when it's possible for his kid to have a better life, he doesn't think twice and tells Delonda that Namond is going to live with Colvin no questions asked.

10. Landsman - I know you didn't like him Drew, but he never failed to crack me up.

Honorable mention: Carcetti, Norman Wilson, Gus, Prop Joe, Marlo's entire gang.

Easy to omit: Ziggy, Delonda Brice

As for Rawls and Burrell, they're obviously so unlikeable, but so well portrayed in terms of the chain of command and what people will do to be successful. And I can't hate on Herc because as much of a screw up as he is, his banter with Carver was some of the funniest stuff on the show.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 am

Hated him at first (as I'm sure was the writers' intention), but by the end I loved Ziggy.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:2. Stringer Bell - I disagree with your Donald Trump sentiment.

I just meant that Stringer wanted to be more of a businessman than a gangster.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Why has the Wiz not opined yet?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Honestly, I opened this up and started to rank them, then decided that this thread gives me a good excuse to watch the entire series over again to accurately weigh in. So thank you for the push, Drew.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:18 pm

After watching season 2 again I might have to find a spot on the list for Nicky Sobotka's girlfriend's rack.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:37 pm

UTwiz wrote:Honestly, I opened this up and started to rank them, then decided that this thread gives me a good excuse to watch the entire series over again to accurately weigh in. So thank you for the push, Drew.

I just started rewatching a few weeks ago.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Reinheitsgebot on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 pm

why you hatin on method man, yo?

i loved brother mouzone and omar

cheese was different in he was not a actor per se
"In bed on non-recreational drugs is no place for a drinking man" - Wheeler
Reinheitsgebot
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:46 pm

I watched a lot of the marathons over the holidays. Damn this was a great show.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:02 pm

GOAT
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Still #teamziggy
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:08 pm

Oddly enough, we started rewatching this show a couple weeks ago (to penalty kill until new Justified/Peaky Blinders/House of Cards). In season 3 now. Will rank after we finish up.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby UTwiz on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:27 am

Okay, finished another round of The Wire last night. So we need to clarify the objective here. We are going for "favorite" character, which is different than "best" character, which is different than "most valuable". You know, the MVP vs. Heisman vs. fan all star vote debate. What follows is a scientific measurement of on-screen Wins Above Replacement. Like the baseball equivalent, this aWAR (acting WAR) measures multiple aspects: instead of offense/defense/base running, it's acting performance, role depth, and role believability. It isn't necessarily based on if we rooted for their character, although that might have broken a tie or two. It's also weighted like WAR to account for different role positions, mostly driven by an actor's performance divided by time on screen. Basically, was the character authentically played, did he/she leave me wanting more, and do so more often compared to his/her peers. In aWAR, humor is like defense in real WAR... it is tough to measure accurately and probably counts more towards the total score than it should, but it needs to be included in the formula so deal with it.

Here are the definitive rankings (please erase all previous posts on this thread):

1. Bunk Moreland (7.8 aWAR) - Bunk reminds me of Mike Trout (or maybe Ken Griffey Jr.?).. right out of the gate, he was better than most. Every scene, you remembered his performance above all others almost every time. His quotes were memorable and always on time, his non-verbal acting was impeccable, and he used his cigar like a master chef uses a blade. Five tool guy (authentic/humor/absolute unique style/over cusser/heavy drinker). He was very good in his first scene, soon was owning scenes, and was probably the best thing about the show the last couple seasons. He didn't have the on screen volume of many other characters, but in retrospect he should have been one of the main guys. This is the only thing holding him back from breaking a double digit score. If this show was ending in 2015, he'd be an ideal candidate to have a spin off show. A first ballot HOFer.

2. Stringer Bell (5.5 aWAR) - A fantastic character delivered perfectly by the actor. This role required more dynamics than simply playing an OG (Avon) or ruthless dictator (Marlo)... Stringer was both of those in different scenes, but always a businessman. Slick delivery, oozing cool and style. The show leadership must have noticed fairly quickly that he was stealing the scenes because Stringer became a bigger focal point than Avon at some point in Season Two.

3. Omar Little (5.1 aWar) - Perhaps the most memorable character of the show, and for good reason. This guy nailed Omar to a T. Some of the best quotes in TV history. Lived by a code, which is more than we can say for most of the law enforcement team. I think I would have ranked Omar #1 after the first time through the series, but after the second time I think the IDEA of Omar might be bigger than the actual performance. Still, among the best things about this show - and TV in general.

4. Bubbles (4.4 aWAR) - From a strictly acting performance (admittedly only a portion of the measurement), Bubbles might have been a better performance than the three guys ahead of him on this list. His character had more depth (of varying levels), his baseline was much more blurred. Incredibly funny quotes, but much of the success was in his non-verbal communication. So many peaks, so many valleys. And really one of the only truly clean, positive endings. Which is great, because even when we didn't particularly care for where he was in his life, his story line was always a needed break from the good guys vs. bad guys theme.

5. Bill Rawls (3.9 aWAR) - Never once liked the character. Also never once questioned the actor's delivery of the character. When both he and Burrell were on screen together, Burrell was invisible.

6. Sen. Clay Davis (3.5 aWAR) - The character was really neither deep nor wide, but it didn't need to be. That was actually part of his charm. When you only have a 99 mph fastball but no offspeed stuff, you can still make a big impact on the outcome of games. Perhaps a little overexposed in season five, but if anyone on the show was going to be overexposed, it might as well be him.

7. Bunny Colvin (2.8 aWAR) - Probably slightly undervalued here. Had far more impact on the show than Davis (maybe even Rawls), and that should count for something. Also probably a little more vanilla than those two as well. An outside the box thinker, I always thought he was a real po-leece when I saw him on screen. Not funny, not fun, not a guy you secretly hope was in the next scene - these things devalued his score. But he's important to this show.

8. Jimmy McNulty (2.5 aWAR) - Volume shooter. I loved aspects of this character, but many of these were WHAT he was and not the performance itself. If season 5 never happens, he's probably higher on the list. Much higher, actually. As is, this character a middle of the rotation starter... necessary, some great outings sprinkled in with some pretty bad ones, but mostly just a vehicle to eat innings and get the game to the high leverage, late inning pitchers. Still, when he was on, you cheered for him hard.

9. Mayor Royce (1.7 aWAR) - I enjoyed him every scene he was in. Love was never felt, but I sure liked him every time out. Subtly funny. Extremely believable. Fun character.

10. Duquan "Dukie" Weems (1.3 aWAR) - Just a terrific performance. Among all of the kids (high school age and under) in the entire show scope, Dukie was easily the best performance, and had the most depth. You rooted for this kid from the jump, and were devastated when it broke bad at the end.

Just missed the cut: Sgt. Landsman, Marlo Stanfield, Sgt. Carver, Lester Freeman, Prop Joe, Slim Charles, Norman Wilson (campaign manager), Nick Sobotka, Gus.

Less than zero problem leaving off: Rhonda Pearlman, Deangelo Barksdale, Beadie Russell, and flippin' Cheese.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:55 am

I wish this site had Rep so that I could contribute to your ePeen for that brilliance. If you were coming to my wedding and we didn't already have programs I'd add you as a third best man.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Return to Top 10 Lists