Best Sports Stories in 2008

The Drew Dillenger Memorial Forum

Best Sports Stories in 2008

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm

10. The first recorded Tornado in downtown Atlanta forces changes in the schedule serving as a catalyst for Georgia to make the NCAA tournament with a miracle run.

9. After an exciting, free flowing tournament, Spain ends years of frustration on the international stage defeating Germany 1-0 to capture the European Championship in soccer.

8. In a game that 10 people watched due a silly start time, The United States returned to the pinnacle of the international basketball world as Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant spark the US to a 118-107 win over a tough Spain team.

7. After a final's record of four hours and 48 minutes and two rain delays Rafa Nadal defeats Roger Federer 9-7 in the fifth set to capture the Wimbledon championship.

6. Michael Phelps somehow beats Milorad Cavic by fingertips in the 100m butterfly to win his 7th gold medal.

5. Usain Bolt pulls up a few meters early and still destroys the record in the 100m dash.

4. Tiger Woods sinks a 13 foot birdie putt on the 72nd hole setting up a playoff with Rocco Mediate that Woods won on the 19th hole.

3. Mario Chalmer's three pointer sends the NCAA title game to overtime where Kansas beats Memphis.

2. Tyree's Miracle leads the NY Giants to an upset over the 18-0 New England Patriots in Superbowl XLII.

1. Jason Lezak comes from behind to beat the trash talking French in the 4 x 100m freestyle relay at the Beijing Olympics keeping Michael Phelps' quest for 8 gold medals alive.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Good Llist ATL.

You forgot to score 60 though!
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm

and for the record, for anyone who wonders why I ordered number one and two are ordered the way they are, I'm American and not a Giants fan and hate the French way more than I hate the Patriots.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Espana winning the Euro tops my list.

Second was 45-35. Just a freakin great game to watch.

Wimbledon Final would be third for me.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Let's see...

10. The Longhorn baseball team lays an egg.

9. The Mavs turn down a Josh Howard for Ron Artest trade.

8. Texas gets manhandled by Memphis in the NCAA regionals, and I drive to Houston and pay to watch it.

7. Tiger Woods misses half of the golf season.

6. The Rangers flirt with above averageness before falling into mediocrity, and then have no plans to add anything in the off-season.

5. The Cowboys lose to Arizona, St. Louis, the Giants and Redskins in a 6 week span, when they were the NFC favorites coming into the season.

4. The Mavericks lose in the first round of the playoffs for the second straight year, falling to New Orleans.

3. The Mavericks trade Devin Harris and two first round picks to the Nets for Jason Kidd. Harris is currently averaging 23.9 ppg and 6.1 assists per game in New Jersey.

2. The Cowboys, with home field advantage in the playoffs, lose a home playoff game to the hated Giants, and still haven't won a playoff game since 1996.

1. Texas loses to Texas Tech, resulting in a three way tie that sends Oklahoma to the Big 12 Championship and then the national title game.

F 2008
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:49 pm

vomit
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby BarryBnds on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:50 pm

Good:
1. OU makes it the BCS Championship game
2. Bradford wins the Heisman
3. Tiger free golf for most of the year
4. I won't have to see Michael Phelps (The Predator) for 4 more years
5. Charlie Weis is staying at Notre Dame

Bad:
1. OU will get their asses raped in the BCS Championship game
2. Phils win the world series
3. Tiger wins another major
4. Billy Wagner lost for the year and more
5. Bonds collusioned out of the entire season
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Return to Top 10 Lists