Best BBQ

The Drew Dillenger Memorial Forum

Best BBQ

Postby MBK271 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:08 pm

It's unanimous.

Like there was any doubt.

The Salt Lick Makes the Today Show LINK
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm

I like the Salt Lick a lot, and I'd rank its atmosphere/ambiance among my favorites, but I think every "Top List" in Texas would disagree with your assessment.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 pm

The problem is, most of those top 10 lists are not the best resource for all things bbq. Many are on the take from the joints that pay them to get a higher rank.

I've been to many many hill country places that rank higher than Salk Lick on these lists. Some of them indeed are better than SL. Many are NOT. Personal preference I guess. But I have never left Salt Lick disappointed, and that can't be said for many other places.

I do agree that the atmosphere provided by the SL is one of the best things about it.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm

I haven't been to every place in Texas, but I feel like I have been to alot.

Salt Lick is still my favorite.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby MBK271 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't give a shit who disagrees with me, that is some of the best brisket made. And the sauce (which is like molasses) is unbeatable.

Every list is subjective.

Besides, no joint has the best bbq in every category. It's different for brisket, ribs, sausage, chicken, etc.

Give me a small joint in Elgin when it comes to sausage.

But, brisket is one of my top 2 foods and I rank SL in the top 5. Therefore, when you combine that with the ambiance that was mentioned, it's the best place to eat. Period.

In the middle of back woods TX, near Austin, bring as much beer as I want, eating on picnic tables with some guy playing guitar outside for the crowd. Not to mention, all you can eat of some of the best cue that can be found.

Add that up and every list that Texas Monthly or any other publication puts out can kiss my ass.

Sorry about the rant. The SL is dear to my heart.

LOVE YOU DREW!
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Salt Lick can't touch the Lockhart Legends, but it's always a fun time. They keep raising that Family Style price though. It'll probably be over $20 next year.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:48 pm

I've ordered mail order Salt Lick a few times over the past year... I baste the brisket with the SL spicy BBQ sauce, and reheat slowly for 3-4 hours at 250... Not as good as being there, but still tastes great... a couple of weeks ago I ordered a six pack of the sauce (3 spicy, 3 regular) as well...

I wish I could get a couple of bottles of the Texadelphia mustard blend sauce delivered here... There website still says online ordering coming soon after 2 years... Anyone want to buy a couple, wrap it real tight in bubble wrap, and ship it out to me?
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Mustard Blend =

1 c. mayo
1/2 c. Gulden's spicy mustard
1-2 Tbsp honey teriyaki
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:21 pm

UTwiz wrote:The problem is, most of those top 10 lists are not the best resource for all things bbq. Many are on the take from the joints that pay them to get a higher rank.

I've been to many many hill country places that rank higher than Salk Lick on these lists. Some of them indeed are better than SL. Many are NOT. Personal preference I guess. But I have never left Salt Lick disappointed, and that can't be said for many other places.

I do agree that the atmosphere provided by the SL is one of the best things about it.

Yeah! The lying bastards in the Gay Fag Librul Media can't be trusted to report on BBQ.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 pm

If you'll just look through your windshield, you'll see what I'm talking about.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby MBK271 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 am

I've been wanting to try Kreutz market in Lockhart for some time now.

I just rarely find myself in Lockhart.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Simon Honeybone on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:23 am

Kreuz Market‎ was unequivocally the best when I was in college. I haven't been in almost 10 years though :(

We used to make a weekly lunch trip down there when I was interning at AMD.
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 am

I just think its funny that any time anyone in the media disagrees with you that there has to be some kind of perfidy involved. It can't be just a difference of opinion.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am

Salt Lick and Louise Mueller's (Taylor) are both at the top of my list. SL gets the edge for atmosphere, though these thoughts are all based on dated memories as I haven't had the opportunity to get back to either in quite some time now.

EDIT: and I agree that bbq is very much a matter of taste/preferences so there is (and should) be a wide range of opinion on who is tops. However, on the broader argument of Texas brisket versus KC ribs (which was the contest on the Today Show as I understood it)... that's a no-brainer. Texas brisket every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:11 am

12ozLongneck wrote:I just think its funny that any time anyone in the media disagrees with you that there has to be some kind of perfidy involved. It can't be just a difference of opinion.

What do you call this?

I've been to many many hill country places that rank higher than Salk Lick on these lists. Some of them indeed are better than SL. Many are NOT. Personal preference I guess.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 am

The problem is, most of those top 10 lists are not the best resource for all things bbq. Many are on the take from the joints that pay them to get a higher rank.

I was referring to this.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:11 pm

"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Yums. Making me even more home sick than I already am...

Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:22 pm

"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm glad to see that such an important topic is getting the most traffic of any thread in about a month.

:)

Like Kevin says,

Internets and BBQ is serious bidness!
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby rtapia on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 pm

NE corner of 18th and San Jacento, just a few feet south of the LMFZ tailgate. :D
rtapia
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Mr. Peabody on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:12 pm

rtapia wrote:NE corner of 18th and San Jacento, just a few feet south of the LMFZ tailgate. :D

I've had that shit Luke Duke tries to pass off as good BBQ. Wouldn't feed it to my dog.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby dahorns on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:48 am

well IMHO, it's near the NW corner of 18th and Brazos during football season and about halfway between Mopac and Mesa Dr north of Spicewood Springs Rd the rest of the year :-)
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby rtapia on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 pm

Mr. Peabody wrote:
rtapia wrote:NE corner of 18th and San Jacento, just a few feet south of the LMFZ tailgate. :D

I've had that shit Luke Duke tries to pass off as good BBQ. Wouldn't feed it to my dog.

Do you think that I would give the good stuff to you? That was the stuff that we left in the pit from the last tailgate.
rtapia
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:49 am

Tapia... I ran into your BBQ team at Sam's Boat the other day. I think they were getting into football shape.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Next

Return to Top 10 Lists