Halfway point thoughts.....

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Halfway point thoughts.....

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am

This team is better than the record reflects, but unfortunately that doesn't matter.

Ehlinger is the guy. He's all I'd hoped he would be and more. Having said that he's going to get beat to hell playing behind this OL and having to carry the load for our awful RBs. Hopefully the growing pains of this OL pay dividends next year in the experience and depth department.

I will freely admit that Malik Jefferson has done a 180 and made me calling him a bust look foolish. I think he may be the poster child for the toughness change with the new staff.

Kris Boyd is the worst player on the team and he's got PJ Locke biting on his heels for that title. The entire secondary as a whole leaves a lot to be desired honestly. Youth is not an excuse back there yet we blow multiple coverages per game. #2 and #11 being the most guilty. Obviously I don't see practice but based on practice reports I'd really like to see Josh Thompson and Chris Brown get some opportunities in place of 2 and 11.

You wouldn't know it by reading a stat sheet but Poona Ford may be the MVP of this team. He has had one hell of a year and fights his ass off to free up other guys. Malik should buy him a nice Christmas gift for opening things up for him.

That Maryland game still stings. How much better looking is the resume at 4-2 with two last minute losses to two Top 10 teams?

If he's done nothing else Herman has at least assured we show up to play every week. That Maryland first half may give you pause there. But we haven't been blown out in any game this year and I don't expect us to the rest of the way either. Even in the Maryland and OU really bad starts Herman has been able to refocus the team and get back in the games.

I don't know what happens the rest of the way. I hate to say it, but I don't see us beating OSU this weekend. Don't like our secondary matching up with their WRs and Rudolph is every bit the passer that Darnold and Mayfield are. Wouldn't be shocked to see us pull it off, but I don't feel good. Beyond that I don't know either. Not a team left we can't beat, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked by 3 losses to OSU, WVU, TCU. Would absolutely love to see us knock off TCU and wreck their season.

I'll say we finish 7-5 at this point, but hope for the over.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Re: Halfway point thoughts.....

Postby UTwiz on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 am

Won't argue with any of that.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am

On board with Sam, and he certainly has a flair for the dramatic, but I would like to see a deep dive on whether he is reading defenses correctly, finding open receivers, etc. Certainly needs to work on his accuracy. But his poise and pocket awareness is off the charts.

And to be fair, a lot of that stuff would come with a year of maturity and working with receivers all off-season.

That Maryland loss will indeed sting. We could win out and we would be lamenting an Alamo Bowl versus a NY 6 Bowl.

I think we have a big upset in us, so I say we split OSU/TCU, win over Baylor and Kansas, and split WVU/TT.

7-5 sounds right. Which would have disappointed us all a couple months ago.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 pm

HornMafia wrote:7-5 sounds right. Which would have disappointed us all a couple months ago.

Agreed. However, had I told you that Connor Williams will go out for the season and McMillon and Vahe will significantly regress. Ehlinger will have to replace an ineffective Buechele and an ineffective run game by doing it all on offense. And I finally told you that our secondary would still completely lose guys in coverage like last year. What would you have thought the record would be?
txlonghorn47

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Also Michael Dickson might give Poona a run for his money on that MVP award. Has a punter ever gone pro early? Because he legit could do so this year.

Two others I've been extremely impressed with RHM and LJH. LJH is a terror in the open field. Have to find more ways to get him in YAC situations.
txlonghorn47

Postby tamut98 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Like Ehlinger and he gives us the best chance to win. Caught the coach's PC and he mentioned they are talking to him about staying in the pocket a bit longer.

Defense seems to adjust well during the game but breakdowns have been costly especially in the last two losses against ranked opposition. Offense makes adjustments as well, they need to come out with a bit more urgency.

It seems like once we took the lead, the team and staff let the foot off the gas. They did come back from 20 down though. I was having 63-14 flashbacks at 20-0.

Folks are talking about running the table. Would love to see that but I think we are going to be lucky to finish the last 6 games the way we started the first 6.

No matter what happens, I like the direction of this team. I like Herman and the things he is saying with regard to building a program in less than a year or in 1 season.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Sam is the best player on the team. That's really great news, and also very disappointing news.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Rewatching the game.

Might have had the same eventual outcome but damn this was close.

“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 pm

Chay and I in agreement on most of the items but I'll go ahead and post my problem with the slobbering over Sam at QB.

I think that Dickson is the best player on the team with folks like Ford, Malik, LJH and KHM all in the argument. Those guys are playing fantastic.

The problem with Sam at QB is that being able to throw the ball is table stakes for me personally to play the position. And he can't throw the ball.... at all. I'm not the guy that takes the runner at QB without the threat of keeping somebody honest. I know this has been proven to be effective in college but we aren't Nebraska running the option and Sam isn't Tim Tebow.

I understand the problem and I'm not saying that I have the answer. The O-Line doesn't give the QB time to throw the ball. Therefore, the more mobile QB (Sam) is preferred in that situation.

Boo ins't as elusive as Sam. No doubt. But he's not Drew Bledsoe back there either. He's average for a QB. But he's way more of a threat in the passing game. Considerably.

I'll take the guy that can kind of run around but gives us more opportunities to get the ball in the hands of LJH and KHM. I know the O-line is having challenges... so let's make adjustments around that fact. Sam isn't going to be able to last with the beating that he is taking as being the only offensive threat.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Nah.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Just pissed off/exasperated with that game today.

Sam looked terrible. All game just looked terrible. Missed that Duvernay was wide ass open for a TD, missing receivers (again), and made a play at the end that 14 year old middle school quarterbacks know not to make.

The offensive line is a joke, our running backs are awful, our OC doesn't know not to run a 250 lb RB on an outside zone, and doesn't throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

Herman hit a HR with Orlando but he'll get a job this off-season. Beck was a joke of a hire, like everyone knew when it happened, but yet we probably have to wait until next year after we go 7-5 to fire him.

We just held Oklahoma State to 13 points and lost.

Jesus fucking Christ.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:02 pm

But Neo!
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:19 pm

And oh yeah if Herman is responsible for these 11 AM home kickoffs he needs to cut that shit out. Sounded like a church service in there most of the first half.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Football knowledge is a life-long goal for some. Keep the faith.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 pm

HornMafia wrote:And oh yeah if Herman is responsible for these 11 AM home kickoffs he needs to cut that shit out. Sounded like a church service in there most of the first half.
Isn't that a function of TV more than the wishes of any particular Big XII coaching staff? Not looking for an argument. Seriously asking.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 am

12ozLongneck wrote:Isn't that a function of TV more than the wishes of any particular Big XII coaching staff? Not looking for an argument. Seriously asking.

I think Texas has the power to throw their weight around and influence these decisions. Just like LSU has told networks they don't want to play day games at home.

Just seems like a big coincidence that Herman arrives and all the sudden we have two 11 AM kicks and the LHN games are earlier kickoffs than they have been in the past, too.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 am

Ehlinger held out of practice yesterday with possible concussion. Maybe explains the absolute brain dead play in OT?

I know one thing if he can't go against Baylor then our odds are slim with Shane behind this OL.
txlonghorn47

Postby HornMafia on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 am

Warehime will be fired within 15 months, too.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Herman confirms that Ehlinger is day to day in concussion protocol. IT speculating it happened on the hit in OT.

Considering OU and now OSU have been able to get pressure with 3 I'm dreading what might happen Saturday without Ehlingers escapability and pocket awareness.
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:27 pm

txlonghorn47 wrote:Herman confirms that Ehlinger is day to day in concussion protocol. IT speculating it happened on the hit in OT.

Considering OU and now OSU have been able to get pressure with 3 I'm dreading what might happen Saturday without Ehlingers escapability and pocket awareness.

Undoubtedly more sacks taken.

Also expect to see more passes beyond 5 yards.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

MBK271 wrote:Also expect to see more passes beyond 5 yards.

What makes you think there will be time for those to develop?
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm

txlonghorn47 wrote:
MBK271 wrote:Also expect to see more passes beyond 5 yards.

What makes you think there will be time for those to develop?

It's a good question. I haven't figured that part out yet.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Next year Sam probably makes this throw. But right now it hurts.

https://twitter.com/RyanBridgesCFB/stat ... 4861848576

Or Beck could help out a freshman and have him not roll to the left/throw to the left.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Reading some on Baylors defense they sound to be pretty bad. Facing this bunch might be just what this OL needs to not look like Midlothian Jr High for one week.
txlonghorn47

Postby UTwiz on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Cuney hidden at center is at least a net net equal to Shack (based on KSU), and McMillan at RG is an upgarde from Cuney there. If Williams comes back, I'd move Okafor to RG and get an even bigger upgrade at LT and RG.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Next

Return to Football Talk