Just be Competitive

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Just be Competitive

Postby edavis3 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 am

Going into lasts night's game, my only hope was..."I just want them to be competitive in this game". Just don't get blown out. Have a chance to win in the 4th quarter. Well, all of those things came true, but it wasn't satisfying at all.

The defense played great! Flying to the ball. Being aggressive. With the exception of the last play of the first half, they were absolutely the best defense I've seen here for 5 or 6 years. Malik Jefferson, played up to his original hype.

Special teams was pretty terrible. Mainly in the punt return game. Even when one bad decision worked out, I found myself scared to death every time USC punted. The play on the 1 yard line by Hemphill Mapps was mind boggling. In hindsight, I wish we had tried the FG in the first quarter, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Offense - where do I start. O-line was terrible, didn't help that our best lineman got his knee rolled up on. QB play was not great, some freshman mistakes were made, not sure who was at fault on the 2 errant snaps. Sam, also had some great throws, but he is so freaking slow. Thought he tried to run too much, even though he probably had no confidence in the line so I really can't blame him for tucking it early. Not going to win a lot of games with 4 turnovers.

Running game is terrible. That's all I'm going to say about that other than, I sure wish D'Onta Foreman was back there this year. What a difference maker he could be on this team.

Seemed like no calls or breaks went our way.

Again, I know it hindsight, but I go for 2 in the first overtime. Give yourself a chance to dictate the outcome. On the road, defense is tired, dial up 1 play and go for broke.

I loved the competitive spirit, I loved how the team held in there the entire game and I think this is a game that can build confidence with the program. But at the end of the day, if we had won this game, the program turns a corner in my opinion. But that didn't happen, and I sit here this morning with anticipation of when that moment will happen.

As crazy as it sounds, Iowa State on Thursday night in Ames will not be easy. Everyone knows that crazy things happen on Thursday night's in Ames. The team needs to put this behind them quickly and hopefully they see how close they are to turning a corner...because they have another chance in October in Dallas.

At the end of the day, only one thing matters....win. I don't think anyone, fans, players, coaches...anyone is satisfied or can be satisfied with just being competitive.
edavis3
All American
All American

Re: Just be Competitive

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm pretty satisfied. We were a15-17 point dog and had a very realistic shot to win with our best player gone after the 1st quarter and a true freshman QB playing his first road game. Not sure you can ask for much more.

Also I'm not sure where you get that Sam is slow. Yes he's not VY, but he's very mobile and can run,much more in the Dak or Tebow mold, but he can run. With that OL and pass rush Saturday Shane takes 5-8 sacks that Sam was able to avoid. Hell look at the play he made to get that errant snap and throw it away rather than lose 20 yards.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby HornMafia on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 am

Conflicted.

On one hand I am very pleased with the performance on Saturday, although not surprised because if you read my column last week I predicted a Texas victory.

On the other hand, I am dubious that the defensive performance translates to the Big 12. We will see soon.

Also far too many turnovers, missed blocks, missed passes, etc.

Overall I think everyone should be pleased with the direction of the program.

They will have a dogfight in 10 days in Ames. Sometimes it is games like that that tell you more about a team than the marquee matchups.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 am

One other thing, I dread the upcoming quarterback controversy.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:09 pm

HornMafia wrote:On the other hand, I am dubious that the defensive performance translates to the Big 12.

I get that, but there's not another Darnold on the schedule. Rudolph and Baker might be close but neither is as polished as a passer. Rudolph has shown in the past to be rattled if you hit him too.
txlonghorn47

Postby Makaveli on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 pm

I found it pretty damn satisfying.

I look at it like this. It was 50/50 at the end on who was gonna win. You can't say after the fact that the result of a coinflip retroactively changed your experience for the previous 3 or 4 hours. I thought it was awesome.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Another way I think about it...If you're an outcome-oriented guy ....Their effort never had me embarrassed that I gave a shit what happened.

But nobody really just cares about the result or else you could just check the score after game and dial up the appropriate emotional reaction. It's the experience that counts the most, and that was mostly pretty damn good.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Mr. Peabody on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 pm

I was hoping you guys would win. I caught the last quarter and was surprised to see your team even in the game considering who you were playing and on the road. I was impressed. You had a rough start to the season. I know you lost, but my reaction was " damn" these longhorns put up a good fight and almost won. Again, I was impressed.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 am

Makaveli wrote:But nobody really just cares about the result or else you could just check the score after game and dial up the appropriate emotional reaction. It's the experience that counts the most, and that was mostly pretty damn good.

Very very well said

Another thing losing emphasis in my book is this was on the road. Can anybody remember anytime in the last 4 years we even bothered to show up to a game on the road?
txlonghorn47

Postby tamut98 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 am

Lots of good points and valid concerns.

I have been going back and forth on the QB situation. It maybe dictated more on what we can scheme by the OL we have left than the competition at QB. Removing the OL from the equation, I would still go with Shane. He can beat you with his arm and do some things with his legs. I.e. Defense isn't going to load up the box and force him to beat them through the air, because he can. That being said, I am alright with Ehlinger too. He needs to clean up his game quite a bit but he has guts and perhaps that 'it' factor too.

Offensively overall, this coaching staff is going to earn its money trying to find an identity for this team. The injury situation on the line is not going to make it easier. They say "power run" but we don't a) flat out trust our running backs or b) know how to stick with a game plan.

Defensively overall, agree with the points about how we are going to line up with Big 12 offenses. The effort put out on Saturday was still outstanding and gives hope that we are moving in the right direction there.

Agree on the point about the preparation for the Road Game. A win at Iowa State would be another big step for this team. <-How sad but true of a statement is that??!?!?

Overall, I just want to see improvement and a good response to adversity. They showed both this past weekend. They still need to learn how to handle prosperity during the game.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:52 am

tamut98 wrote:Lots of good points and valid concerns.

I have been going back and forth on the QB situation. It maybe dictated more on what we can scheme by the OL we have left than the competition at QB. Removing the OL from the equation, I would still go with Shane. He can beat you with his arm and do some things with his legs. I.e. Defense isn't going to load up the box and force him to beat them through the air, because he can. That being said, I am alright with Ehlinger too. He needs to clean up his game quite a bit but he has guts and perhaps that 'it' factor too.

Offensively overall, this coaching staff is going to earn its money trying to find an identity for this team. The injury situation on the line is not going to make it easier. They say "power run" but we don't a) flat out trust our running backs or b) know how to stick with a game plan.

Defensively overall, agree with the points about how we are going to line up with Big 12 offenses. The effort put out on Saturday was still outstanding and gives hope that we are moving in the right direction there.

Agree on the point about the preparation for the Road Game. A win at Iowa State would be another big step for this team. <-How sad but true of a statement is that??!?!?

Overall, I just want to see improvement and a good response to adversity. They showed both this past weekend. They still need to learn how to handle prosperity during the game.

Your analysis on Shane is actually the opposite of what defensive coordinators think. Just FYI.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:02 am

tamut98 wrote:He can beat you with his arm and do some things with his legs. I.e. Defense isn't going to load up the box and force him to beat them through the air, because he can.

Not singling you out here because I've seen this several places from several people. But when exactly has Buechele shown you he can win a game on his arm alone?
txlonghorn47

Postby tamut98 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 am

All I am saying is that it seems when he is in the game, the ball gets spread around a bit better. It's not necessarily that he can put the team on his back and win, but the offense feels a little more opened up (at least from the passing game perspective). At this point, he CAN make more throws than Ehlinger. Buechele can make a run when he needs to as well. Also, Buechele is probably a little more savvy with regards to ball security.

I am not bagging on Ehlinger or trying to prop up Buechele at all here. Both still need to work through a lot of things. If the coaches peg Sam as the guy, I will trust that know what they are doing.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 am

Don't really get the Buechele hate. Guy was nails before injuries piled up last season.

Threw 3 TDs against OU, has a career TD/INT ratio of 2:1 and has thrown for 3,000 yards.

Do I think he is the unequivocal answer going forth the next three years, no, but he gives us the best chance to win right now.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am

No Buechele hate here, just don't think he's done much to make me think hes irreplaceable. Like stated above I see a lot of people talking like he's going to come back and scare teams off the line of scrimmage and our running game will magically open up. It's like people forgot the Maryland game that just happened.

I've always felt like he self preuusered and leaves the pocket when unneccassary. Once he does so he's not that mobile and doesn't throw that great on the run. With this patchwork OL we are dealing with now I'm not sure that's a good combination. Like I stated above I think he takes 5-8 sacks against USC that Sam was able to allude.

I think he was way more suited to what we ran last year than this new offense.
txlonghorn47

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm

tamut98 wrote:All I am saying is that it seems when he is in the game, the ball gets spread around a bit better. It's not necessarily that he can put the team on his back and win, but the offense feels a little more opened up (at least from the passing game perspective). At this point, he CAN make more throws than Ehlinger. Buechele can make a run when he needs to as well. Also, Buechele is probably a little more savvy with regards to ball security.

I am not bagging on Ehlinger or trying to prop up Buechele at all here. Both still need to work through a lot of things. If the coaches peg Sam as the guy, I will trust that know what they are doing.

Still the opposite.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:41 pm

HornMafia wrote:Don't really get the Buechele hate. Guy was nails before injuries piled up last season.

Threw 3 TDs against OU, has a career TD/INT ratio of 2:1 and has thrown for 3,000 yards.

Do I think he is the unequivocal answer going forth the next three years, no, but he gives us the best chance to win right now.

The film and the metrics disagree with your "nails" description, unless you meant the kind found on your fingers, and were referring to the relative proximity to a chalk board.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Interesting numbers here through 2 starts.....Boos TD:INT was better but pretty damn close to identical otherwise.....

Boo 38/63 524 yards 6 TD 1 INT 16 rushes for 83 against ND and UTEP
Sam 36/67 520 yards 3 TD 2 INT 26 rushes for 99 against SJSU and USC

Notre Dames defense turned out to be hot garbage, guess we will see how USCs D plays the rest of the year.
txlonghorn47

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 pm

I had great time at the game. I can't remember a time leaving the stadium after a loss and in a good mood.
However, if HermAn is ok with calling a QB power everytime we need a big conversion, then I'm out on him. Killed the mojo in the Maryland game, killed drives at USC, cost us the game as well. If you want to run that then atleast put in heard.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:38 pm

UTwiz wrote:
HornMafia wrote:Don't really get the Buechele hate. Guy was nails before injuries piled up last season.

The film and the metrics disagree with your "nails" description, unless you meant the kind found on your fingers, and were referring to the relative proximity to a chalk board.

And my eyes saw Ehlinger miss deep throws to Collin Johnson and Armanti Foreman that Buechele specializes in that should have been TDs.

Film saw it too, as noted by Herman himself on Rewind this week.

And score 3 offensive points in the first 59 minutes of the game.

Joooel Klatt just agreed with me, btw.

And here is that QB controversy I mentioned. :)
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

HornMafia wrote:
UTwiz wrote:

And my eyes saw Ehlinger miss deep throws to Collin Johnson and Armanti Foreman that Buechele specializes in that should have been TDs.

Film saw it too, as noted by Herman himself on Rewind this week.

And score 3 offensive points in the first 59 minutes of the game.

Joooel Klatt just agreed with me, btw.

And here is that QB controversy I mentioned. :)

Shane would have been sacked 15 times, so we would have had lots of opportunities to throw deep.

Sounds like you and Joel should let Herman know the best way to move forward, because apparently Sam got the majority of snaps yesterday.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Just be Competitive

Postby HornMafia on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Shane would have been sacked 15 times, so we would have had lots of opportunities to throw deep.

Sounds like you and Joel should let Herman know the best way to move forward, because apparently Sam got the majority of snaps yesterday.

According to whom? Herman himself said Buechele got 60% of the snaps yesterday.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Brainiacs. Herman was apparently being a little sneaky.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:56 am

You can't just give away your game plan when you're headed on the road against Iowa State.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:30 am

I agree with Matt on Beuchele.

Personally I only recall one other "moral victory" for Texas football in my lifetime and that was the 1998 game at UCLA.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Next

Return to Football Talk