I must say.....

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: I must say.....

Postby UTwiz on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:46 am

txlonghorn47 wrote:
UTwiz wrote:What worries me the most (more than poor execution or poor game planning) is that this was the most difficult off-season of the players' lives, and none of it seemed to translate on the field.

This is something I've thought about over the rest of the weekend and this is the last of the Maryland game I care to talk about, but do we just have a team full of dumbasses? Like do our players lack the basic ability to comprehend and learn what coaches are trying to teach? I think this is a legit question after seeing this continually happen under Strong and now to see it again under the first game of Herman. We have a bunch of guys, especially on defense, who just seem to lack a basic football IQ. I mean all of last year we kept hearing that we had to simplify the scheme and dumb it down for these guys, now we're hearing it again. Now it's early and there is plenty of time to make changes and see if they can adjust, but it's an alarming trend to me at this point.

Having said that it's just one game and it's under a new regime. Time to put it behind and make sure you don't let it linger. I think, hope, you'll see a much better effort this week but I don't think you'll learn much about if they improved against SJSU. The real test comes in two weeks, while I don't think we have the horses to win in LA I want to see a competitive effort.

Lots of validity to this, IMO.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am

The angles we take on defense are baffling.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 am

Yep.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 am

Drew Corleone wrote:The angles we take on defense are baffling.

It's all geometry...knowing all the angles. When to make that first turn and then when to swing it back in...that's the key. There's nothing you can even impart to them, that's the sad thing. It's so inborn...you can't pass it on.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah this is one of the weirdest parts of the whole deal

I wouldn't think you could even "teach" that, wouldn't it just be instinct and general feel for playing a game ?
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:52 pm

Makaveli wrote:

Yeah this is one of the weirdest parts of the whole deal

I wouldn't think you could even "teach" that, wouldn't it just be instinct and general feel for playing a game ?

Yeah I don't know how you really teach that at this level, that's stuff you learn when you first learn football and like you said a lot of that is just natural instinct for the game. Just goes further to my earlier point of I'm not sure how high this teams football IQ is.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 am

Makaveli wrote:Tom Herman is 4-5 in last 9 games as a head coach with losses to SMU, Navy, Memphis, San Diego St, and Maryland

Uhhh what? #fakenews
txlonghorn47

Postby Makaveli on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

txlonghorn47 wrote:
Makaveli wrote:Tom Herman is 4-5 in last 9 games as a head coach with losses to SMU, Navy, Memphis, San Diego St, and Maryland

Uhhh what? #fakenews

I actually read that somewhere and it fit my narrative so I went with it. It did sound crazy.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:23 am

Did anybody else tilt their heads sideways at his fairy dust comment and bragging he was "prophetic" ?

Almost felt like he's trying to take credit for knowimg that would happen and warning us ?

Dude is definitely a Trump voter, is there any doubt ?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby tamut98 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am

I liked that this bunch fought back in the 3rd quarter. That is probably my one positive from a team perspective. On offense, WRs lived up to the hype. Play calling leaves a lot to be desired. Defense...!@#$%....That being said,I think Hill's pick 6 was the worst thing that happened in hindsight. This team still cannot handle prosperity or adversity in a positive manner. You can prepare for both through repetition in practice and in training but there has to be something that clicks in the mind during a game that keeps you focused on what the end goal is.
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

I watched Rewind the other night to see what he had to say. Im no X and O genius here but watching him explain the calls a lot of the problems, especially on defense, were dudes just not executing the play the way they were taught. PJ Locke being especially guilty. Also pointed out a time where Buechele called a hot route so McMillon let the guy come free then Buechele held the ball and took the sack instead of throwing hot LIKE HE CALLED FOR! So I'm going back more and more to that I think we have an abundance of unsmart football players on this team.

Having said that we still had some bonehead coaching mistakes as well.

I just want to see how everybody responds now and hopefully see that a lesson was learned.
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:41 pm

1 week later, I'll chime in.

Things that still stick out in my mind.

The good: Hemphill-Mapps, having a punter that can bomb it like 75 yards.... I meant WTF?

The Bad: the playcalling. Not enough running of the football, why are we going for it on 4th when we've clawed back, momentum is on our side, we have a great punter, and there's a ton of time left? He's got to feel embarrassed at how poorly the plays were called during the game

The Ugly: O-Line - Ugh, pathetic. And we are supposed have multiple all-Americans on that line. Yikes.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Started a little slow today. Ending with a great score.

Still don't feel good about next week.

We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby UTwiz on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Sam is Neo.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Sam is certainly more what Herman wants at QB with his running ability, hope what he showed today continues and gets built upon.
txlonghorn47

I must say.....

Postby HornMafia on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:23 am

Thought he struggled throwing the football. Seems to be a prerequisite.

Although I will say some of the throws did appear to just be rust/timing/same page of receiver issues.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm

They went out and did what they were supposed to do yesterday, which is beat the hell out of a hapless team. They can't afford to stumble out of the blocks this Saturday like they did yesterday, but otherwise no complaints.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Are you shitting me? On the road? TAKE THE THREE FUCKING POINTS! Lord love a duck!
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Thought we had that one.

Chris Warren must have been tired from last week. Only 4 carries.

Couple of days to feel sorry for yourself before Iowa State in a week and a half. Better be ready.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby LMQueen on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 am

So by my count, we fall into the 4-8 category. There were some signs of hope of great things to come and some very frustrating things as well (mostly on offense).
I guess we can say we are in a better place or on the way to a better place, but this loss tonight felt like a major step in the wrong direction.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Music City Mafia on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:20 am

The playcalling and offensive scheming this year has been dreadful. Player injuries and youthful growing pains have only exacerbated that problem, imho. This offense has shown no signs of improvement over 12 games. After 12 games we still RB by committee and have no go-to guy to pick up 1 friggin’ yard when that’s all you need. We still look predictable on so many run plays. We still don’t take advantage of mismatches with our receivers, and we mostly forget there’s a whole middle of the field to run routes and complete passes in.

Just so frustrated there is no accountability on offense. And we’ve squandered a really good defensive effort this season.

Second half of the game we had more turnovers than points (4-3). Putrid.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

Edit. Removed comments
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Music City Mafia wrote:The playcalling and offensive scheming this year has been dreadful. Player injuries and youthful growing pains have only exacerbated that problem, imho. This offense has shown no signs of improvement over 12 games. After 12 games we still RB by committee and have no go-to guy to pick up 1 friggin’ yard when that’s all you need. We still look predictable on so many run plays. We still don’t take advantage of mismatches with our receivers, and we mostly forget there’s a whole middle of the field to run routes and complete passes in.

Just so frustrated there is no accountability on offense. And we’ve squandered a really good defensive effort this season.

Second half of the game we had more turnovers than points (4-3). Putrid.

This about sums it up.

And QB needs to be open competetion in the spring. We can't trust Sam.

HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Music City Mafia on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 am

I would also add that Herman’s post game interview was a complete embarrassment and I hope he grows as a head coach in how to handle those things.

Blaming Sam for the 3rd and 2 breakdown late and voicing the need to coach him better for those situations was a complete side step of the fact that it was arguably coaching malpractice to even call a pass play there andput that on the shouldrs of a freshamn qb who had alread had some hiccups to that point in the game. You run the ball. Period. Doing so should reduce likelihood of turnover, and even if you can’t pick up 2 friggin’ yards (a reasonable likelihood they wouldn’t), you still eat significant clock, force Tech to burn their final timeout, and then use your most effectiveplaymaker that day - the nation’s best punter - to pin them deep and forcethem to go the length of the field with no tomeouts.

Yes, you can critique the execution of the play called and Sam, to his credit, took responsibilityfor his execution/performance. How is it that these coaches can’t do the same for their performance? How about acknowledging that in hindsight there were some bad decisions, it’s our job as coaches to put our players in the best position to win, we didn’t do that, that’s ultimately on me (Herman) and we’ll get this fixed. That sounds a whole lot better to me than excuse making about not being able to run the ball all day, Sam making a bad decision, and needing to fix that problem with him. Fix YOUR coaching problems, hoss.

Sorry, just really frustrated still, and watching that press conference only poured gas on a fire.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Very well stated. My post from that night sounds much more positive than I thought it would. I am still frustrated and disappointed. It sucks to be relieved a season is over every year.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk