2017 Recruiting Class

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

2017 Recruiting Class

Postby MBK271 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:17 pm

:-"

Well... that just sucks.

Pick your favorite recruiting website. I chose Rivals:

0 - 5 Star Players
8 - 4 Star Players
0 - Rivals top 100 players
8 - 3 Star Players

Ummm.... I sure am glad we have such a strong recruiter coming to Texas as head coach. Even better is that he brought with him the best recruiters that assistant coaches have to offer! :D

For a team that needed a spark-plug to get out of the gate, we didn't get it done today.

Not the end of the world.... just a bit disappointing.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Re: 2017 Recruiting Class

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:25 pm

5-7
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby tamut98 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 pm

6-7
5-7
5-7
24-21
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah, I'm not hanging this one on Herman. We've been piss-poor for three seasons (and mediocre for the four seasons before that).
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Not sure what was to be expected this year. Coming off the worst run in school history and with little time to build relationships. Seems all the big dogs this year went to tOSU. Not a single 5 star to a Big 12 school. If it carries over to next year with Herman and Co I'll be concerned.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Not tugging my dick over this class. Not laying the business end of a pistol in my mouth over this class. Get it done on the field and the kids will show up in 2018.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Should we mention that Baylor had a higher ranked class or no?

Although they do have 21 three stars and our per player is higher.

Junior days start soon. Too bad it is about 365 days until we see the results from that.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 pm

HornMafia wrote:Should we mention that Baylor had a higher ranked class or no?

Texas had a lot of obstacles and shit to deal with tho
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby UTwiz on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Junior days start soon. Too bad it is about 365 days until we see the results from that.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:17 am

UTwiz wrote:

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/

When I looked at it earlier they were ahead. But I believe that was before Pouncey.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 pm

I guess I just don’t get the narrative adopted by some yesterday. People are looking for the nearest cliff to jump off of and longing for the days of Charlie Strong’s recruiting, all based off of class rankings – which awards points driven by number of recruits signed + talent grade. But due to the 85 man roster makeup, we were pigeonholed into taking a small class this year (regardless who the coach is), so our class ranking was always going to have a ceiling on it due to the numbers issue. But if you examine the results, they don’t match the failure narrative.

Year – Rank – Tot Commits – Avg Star – Avg Star Rank

’17 - 31st - 18 - 3.33 - 16th

’16 - 7th - 28 - 3.54 - 11th

’15 - 12th - 29 - 3.48 - 9th

’14 - 20th - 23 - 3.17 - 25th

Takeaways:

Yesterday’s class ranked 31st nationally by totals, but 16th nationally by average star ranking. Our recruits averaged 3.33 stars. Both the average stars and national ranking of average stars are not that far out of whack from the last two years, where the classes were lauded as borderline elite classes.

Strong’s recruiting class the year he on-boarded here (2014) was worse in the level of talent AND the national rank of the talent average than what Herman signed yesterday. Strong had a month less time to work with, but he also was left with a much larger and talented group already committed when Brown left.

And this only measures class talent rankings. What I think is notable is how the staff was able to identify immediate gaps in the roster and deliver recruits to impact the roster right out of the gate. Johnson, Carter, Leitao, Rowland, and Ehlinger all project to play high leverage snaps (not just special teams and mop up duty) this year.

I mean, we didn’t get the class of our dreams yesterday, but it wasn’t the embarrassment some would have you believe.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Makaveli on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:38 pm

That post reeks of a desperate self-rationalization attempt.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby UTwiz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Fair enough. Our shitty class yesterday won't save the three shitty classes before it
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby MBK271 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am

UTwiz wrote:Fair enough. Our shitty class yesterday won't save the three shitty classes before it

Actually... as much as I do feel that Jeremy is ligning up to be a Herman apologist (like others who love it when I called them Strong apologists! :D ) - I think Jeremy put up some good numbers there.

Like he said, I always look at average star ranking vs. total class ranking. The number of players you are bringing in is less important to me than the average talent.

So, I guess that is why I'm disappointed. Not one 5-star guy, not one guy in the top 100...

To his point, it falls in-line with what we've experienced the past few years with Strong too.

I think I just miss the days of Mack recruiting the difference makers. I long for more Malik Jefferson type players. Cory Redding, Roy Williams, Frank Okam, Cedric Benson, Derrik Johnson, Marcus Tubbs, Sergio Kindle, Jordan Hicks, Malcom Brown, Jonathan Gray.... man.

But - we've also had some busts with other perceived difference makers; see Garrett Gilbert. AND - looking back there a ton of 4-star guys from our rosters who were badass and made the NFL.

NET - I think he's right. It's a ho-hum class. Not great, not awful. I was just hopeful for more with all of the hype around this guy and his players. Understood that our record this decade gets in the way a bit.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't long for more Malik Jefferson type players. Guy has been very average outside the OU game his freshman year. I'd rather have guys that develop than regress. Now he may find his niche in this new system and become a star but so far he's been pretty meh.

**edit - that may be a little unfair to the guy. I think the previous staff had him out of position playing MLB. I hope with this new staff they find a way to maximize him. My point was more just that getting 5 stars is great and all, but they still have to come in and play to that level and be developed to harness that potential.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Return to Football Talk