Texas Coaching Search 2016

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: Texas Coaching Search 2016

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am

Multiple outlets reporting Tim Beck will be the OC at Texas.

You know, the guy that Ohio State fans were desperate for him to be fired, was ripped by Ezekiel Elliott last year and had a hand in the Buckeyes scoring oh, zero points in the Fiesta Bowl.

And oh yeah, he used to be Nebraska's OC. Stop me if you have heard this one before.

Great recruiter. But underwhelming to say the least.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby McKinneyHorn on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:16 am

HornMafia wrote:Multiple outlets reporting Tim Beck will be the OC at Texas.

You know, the guy that Ohio State fans were desperate for him to be fired, was ripped by Ezekiel Elliott last year and had a hand in the Buckeyes scoring oh, zero points in the Fiesta Bowl.

And oh yeah, he used to be Nebraska's OC. Stop me if you have heard this one before.

So what you're saying is, unlike the last Texas head coach, that hiring the right coordinators makes a difference? Shawn Watson was Nebraska's OC one time, wasn't he? :lol:
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

You can get away with uninspiring coordinator hires when you're a Fine Man™
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:20 pm

McKinneyHorn wrote:
HornMafia wrote:Multiple outlets reporting Tim Beck will be the OC at Texas.

So what you're saying is, unlike the last Texas head coach, that hiring the right coordinators makes a difference? Shawn Watson was Nebraska's OC one time, wasn't he? :lol:

Not sure if I understand your point. Herman is going down the same road as Strong -- that is the point.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:37 pm

Wasn't tOSU ranked 12th in the nation in Offensive S&P this season?
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Matt wins Troll of the Year so far, but it's still early.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Makaveli on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:10 pm

This all feels very wrong to me.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:31 pm

txlonghorn47 wrote:Wasn't tOSU ranked 12th in the nation in Offensive S&P this season?

Sure, but struggled against most good teams and defenses.

And Urban didn't exactly fight to keep him -- probably because his quarterbacks regressed under Beck.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:42 pm

HornMafia wrote:
txlonghorn47 wrote:Wasn't tOSU ranked 12th in the nation in Offensive S&P this season?

Sure, but struggled against most good teams and defenses.

And Urban didn't exactly fight to keep him -- probably because his quarterbacks regressed under Beck.

A) their offense was #7 in FEI this year, which is opponent-adjusted.

B) How do you know Urban didn't fight to keep him? Herman contacted Meyer just after being hired to let him know he was interested in Beck.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Speaking of Zeke Elliot, Herman just hired the guy Zeke credits all of his success to as RB coach.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:27 pm

UTwiz wrote:Speaking of Zeke Elliot, Herman just hired the guy Zeke credits all of his success to as RB coach.

Now that was a great hire.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Yup. Drayton has all the Broyles nominations.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:57 pm

UTwiz wrote:Yup. Drayton has all the Broyles nominations.

Urban was so taken by those Broyles nominations he made the OL coach call plays.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:09 pm

HornMafia wrote:
UTwiz wrote:Yup. Drayton has all the Broyles nominations.

Urban was so taken by those Broyles nominations he made the OL coach call plays.

The OL coach was already on staff and made OC/play caller before Beck was hired.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:01 pm

"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm

I was thinking we would get some momentum from the Herman hire but we got the opposite.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby MBK271 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Yeah, where is the recruiting momentum from the hire?

I know we still have a month to go and he's still filling out his staff but... this could turn out to be a pretty lackluster recruiting class. I think I recall Charlie doing pretty well with his first class before ever coaching a down at Texas.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 pm

MBK271 wrote:Yeah, where is the recruiting momentum from the hire?

I know we still have a month to go and he's still filling out his staff but... this could turn out to be a pretty lackluster recruiting class. I think I recall Charlie doing pretty well with his first class before ever coaching a down at Texas.

You recall inaccurately.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 pm

UTwiz wrote:The OL coach was already on staff and made OC/play caller before Beck was hired.

Nope.

Link

Beck bore some of the brunt for Ohio State’s inconsistent offense in 2015 because he had the final decision on play-calling from the press box. The nadir came when the Buckeyes looked like imposters in the loss to Michigan State.

That game remains a painful memory.

“I try not to revisit those things,” Beck said with an uneasy chuckle. “You try to move on.

“We didn’t execute. They did. You ask yourself, ‘Did I prepare our guys to go out and beat those guys?’ Probably not, obviously. We didn’t beat them. I always start pointing the finger at me.”

After that game, Meyer moved offensive-line coach/offensive coordinator Ed Warinner to the press box to call plays for the Michigan and Notre Dame games. The offense rolled in both victories.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:01 pm

HornMafia wrote:
UTwiz wrote:The OL coach was already on staff and made OC/play caller before Beck was hired.

Nope.

Link

Beck bore some of the brunt for Ohio State’s inconsistent offense in 2015 because he had the final decision on play-calling from the press box. The nadir came when the Buckeyes looked like imposters in the loss to Michigan State.

That game remains a painful memory.

“I try not to revisit those things,” Beck said with an uneasy chuckle. “You try to move on.

“We didn’t execute. They did. You ask yourself, ‘Did I prepare our guys to go out and beat those guys?’ Probably not, obviously. We didn’t beat them. I always start pointing the finger at me.”

After that game, Meyer moved offensive-line coach/offensive coordinator Ed Warinner to the press box to call plays for the Michigan and Notre Dame games. The offense rolled in both victories.

Yep.

Check every source under the sun. Warinner was play caller from day one, started out on sidelines with Beck up in the booth. After the process wasn't working to Meyer's liking, he had Beck take over calling plays for a while, before ultimately moving Warinner up to the booth and RE-ASSUME play calling duties.

Let's not pretend I'm not right here.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:06 pm

So you admit he had play-calling duties stripped.

Ok.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 am

No.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:12 am

MBK271 wrote:Yeah, where is the recruiting momentum from the hire?

3 straight seasons of sub .500 football will takes its toll no matter who the hire is. Also doesn't help that according to several reports Charlie had completely quit recruiting in early to mid October so many guys don't even have a relationship to the school much less the new coaching staff.

If it carries over into 2018 then yes we have some serious concerns, I'm not too worried about it with the recruiters on this staff however and having time to establish relationships before next year.
txlonghorn47

Postby HornMafia on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:57 am

Couple of points here:

1. We knew this was going to be a small class.

2. I don't buy the "Charlie quit recruiting in October" narrative. He was always a slow player who preferred after season recruiting. He probably knew as few as 6 wins could have saved his job with Fenves (if the losses were good, not Kansas).

3. There is still a lot of time left. Dead period ends next week, if it doesn't pick up then I'll be more concerned.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

Agreed on the small class point. We'll be lucky to crack the top 15 in rankings just because of the lack of numbers.

I think they'll still close some good guys, but we'll miss on the big fish that have all pretty much already made up their mind. I guess the silver lining on those big fish is they're all mostly headed to Ohio State or Stanford as opposed to A&M, OU, TCU, or Baylor where you see them in your backyard constantly.
txlonghorn47

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk