Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby LMQueen on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:35 pm

txlonghorn47 wrote:
HornMafia wrote:We're not friends anymore?


Hahahaha of course we are. You know I was joking. Though I have curiously lost some internet friends recently......


Lol that's because you're an asshole. And I don't like you, but I love you, so there.

Today I came to the conclusion that I am joining the Jeremy and Chay camp. Strong has to go. He lacks whatever "it" is to coach this team. Our losses this season are placed solely on his shoulders, not on the talent of the team, as in previous years. He should have fired Bedford last year and he has to pay the price this year because of that and other bad decisions.

Back the money truck up and go get Herman. He's a stud.

It's 5:44 p.m., we have two losses and OU still sucks.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
User avatar
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah
 
Posts: 7428
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Austin/Dallas

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:15 pm

LMQueen wrote:
txlonghorn47 wrote:
HornMafia wrote:We're not friends anymore?


Hahahaha of course we are. You know I was joking. Though I have curiously lost some internet friends recently......


Lol that's because you're an asshole. And you're awesome, and I love you, so there.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


FIFY
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion
 
Posts: 11063
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:17 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby MBK271 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:10 pm

:) :) :)

This is a good thread. Lots of good points so I'll echo a few.

First step will be to fire Bedford - already demoted him. We do run the risk of that keeping Charlie around for another year but I think we've learned our lesson from the last time and that won't be tolerated by the donors. The only way Strong remains is if he beats OU on Saturday.... if he does that, I think he finds a way to stick around to win 7 games and we lose Herman. Notre Dame + OU + Buchele + improvement = we make room for Strong. Ultimately, that might be OK. He recruits well, he's a good guy and he plays his ASS OFF against OU (pending a victory this weekend).

Side note - it's EXHAUSTING to hear "the cupboard was bare" argument. That is bullshit and you know it.

If we do lose on Saturday, that has to be it for Charlie. Whether it is now or at the end of the season, he's out. We have to begin securing Herman. I agree with the "no plan B" folks that I'm not that concerned. We have more money and influence than the programs previously mentioned - maybe Notre Dame can contend. We do exactly what I said we should have done years ago and set the fucking market for coaching salaries. We can afford it, our program is the most profitable in the nation by about 30% - ask Forbes. Just do what we should have done years ago and money whip the guy that you want. It won't take what it would've taken to get Saban years ago.

If we don't do that and need a plan B? As Robert pointed out, not a lot of downside risk at this point. What about Stoops? That would be crazy. Patterson. David Shaw.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
User avatar
MBK271
All American
All American
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:43 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:08 am

I think you're extremely overrating the Notre Dame win. They lost in South Bend to Duke, yes DUKE! And not in basketball. They'll be a 7-5 team at best by years end.

By that same token beating OU this year doesn't hold the weight it did last year as OU is pretty much garbage this year too.

I think anything outside of winning out and he's gone. You can't have an entire staff turned over in 3 years and keep giving the guy a chance to fix things. Like I've stated several times at some point it's no longer on all these assistants that have been fired, it's gotta be on the head guy.

Like Kevin stated I think Charlie is one hell of a man. I think he deserves a lot of credit for coming into a tough situation and cleaning up the program and changing the culture. But he's not the guy to lead you back to the top. I think with him we are just okay to kinda good every year. 7-5 or 8-4 maybe every once in a while you jump up out of nowhere and win 10. But never elite.

It's time buddy.....it's time.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion
 
Posts: 11063
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:17 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby HornMafia on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:04 am

MBK271 wrote:Side note - it's EXHAUSTING to hear "the cupboard was bare" argument. That is bullshit and you know it.


Okay you guys can't have it both ways. You say that Tyrone Swoopes is the worst quarterback in the history of the game and then you try to tell me they had the talent to win.

The NFL Draft tells you all you need to know about the upper classmen talent that was here when Charlie arrived...this point really is even silly to debate.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
User avatar
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 23117
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby HornMafia on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:06 am

txlonghorn47 wrote:By that same token beating OU this year doesn't hold the weight it did last year as OU is pretty much garbage this year too.


Careful...that very well could be Herman's best win when this season is over, too.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
User avatar
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 23117
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 am

The "cupboard was bare" argument was and is far from bullshit. It's absolutely valid.

But it doesn't matter, IMO. We're not losing games solely because we're getting out-talented. If we were I don't know that people - including historically ardent Strong supporters, me included - would be losing more confidence with each passing week. Freshmen and sophomores will make mistakes. They'll blow assignments and coverages and reads, and you live with it because you know a lot of them will be better football players for it in the long run.

I don't look at a team that has lost two straight games with a defense that is pacing to historically bad levels and see "youth" as the culprit. They are undisciplined and poorly coached, and the in-game decision-making is head-scratching at best and unacceptable more often than not. Blocked PATs? Misused/Unused TOs? Ridiculous penalties? Punting with under four minutes to go, down one score, to a team that has already put up 50? In year three the knucklehead stuff shouldn't be the reason you lose games.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
User avatar
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 13343
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:11 pm

To expand slightly on Drew's point....

In some ways that youth and then "bad defense" have distracted from the larger problem, in my view.

"Bad Defense" can and will get fixed... However, these issues of organization, game awareness, attention to detail....these are massive issues of CULTURE yet again.

I think it's probably more of a cluster than we realize behind the scenes. When you're kicking off both halves and punting to seal losses...these are EASY and obvious issues. Do we really think he's getting the complicated shit that we don't see or understand done correctly behind the scenes ?

I think if we can cut him loose right now we can start over well ahead of where we were three years ago and actually have a shot to be a good team next season.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby UTwiz on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:45 pm

The talent argument is both true and bullsh. The talent wasn't championship caliber (cuh-lee-ber for Seth). But we've had far more team talent and depth than the Tech's, ISU's, and WV's of the world. And far more talent than to win only 13 games in 28 attempts.

Talent has held us back from being an elite team, but it hasn't held us back from being a very good, good, or even average team.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
User avatar
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!
 
Posts: 16163
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:36 pm
Location: Dan Marino?

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I think that is a fair statement. Iowa State didn't shut us out because Mack left us devoid of talent.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
User avatar
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 13343
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Funny to think about it in retrospect. Mack Brown goes a disastrous 8-4 his final season to get fired. Only won 25 games his last 3 seasons.

Strong is 13-16 and an 8-win season would now be the benchmark number for a successful season.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:44 am

Nobody thinks 8-4 would be a successful season. 8-4 as the culmination of a 5-year effort to return the program to the level it was at before you let the program rot is not the same as 8-4 on a (seemingly) upward trajectory. At this point I am not sure it's even 8 wins.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
User avatar
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 13343
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm not even sure I understand your point
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby HornMafia on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:43 pm

How about this...8-4 with a healthy David Ash is the same as 8-4 with true freshman QB?

#CmonMan

Do you want Mack back? Why bring up that stupid shit?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
User avatar
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 23117
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby UTwiz on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:04 pm

If my choices are Mack or Charlie, it's Mack every time.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
User avatar
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!
 
Posts: 16163
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:36 pm
Location: Dan Marino?

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:11 pm

UTwiz wrote:If my choices are Mack or Charlie, it's Mack every time.


Does somebody disagree with this ?
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 pm

OK I re-read and understand now what he is saying.

Matt, I'm not sure what the cause of it is but you have a serious Blindspot preventing you from seeing how bad Charlie Strong is.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby HornMafia on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:16 pm

The "Mack Brown" you guys are lamenting is referring to the MB that let our roster go to shit and decided to run a pro-set offense with Garrett Gilbert.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
User avatar
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 23117
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby UTwiz on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:27 pm

Mack Brown won 8 games with a shitty roster and Case McCoy under center. Strong had to have a ref tell him to rethink declining a penalty that would have given the other team a first down.

Halfass Mack Brown >>>>>>> Charlie Strong
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
User avatar
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!
 
Posts: 16163
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:36 pm
Location: Dan Marino?

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby HornMafia on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:28 am

Image
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
User avatar
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi
 
Posts: 23117
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:04 pm
Location: 18th and San Jacinto

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Music City Mafia on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Lord love a duck.
Kiss my Converse!
Image
User avatar
Music City Mafia
All American
All American
 
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 11:45 am
Location: Nashville, Tenn.

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Bucharest on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:21 pm

It's Niumatalolo.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
User avatar
Bucharest
All American
All American
 
Posts: 8891
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:14 pm
Location: Waterloo, TX

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Bucharest on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:40 pm

At least our defense is better than A&M's. #moralvictory?
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
User avatar
Bucharest
All American
All American
 
Posts: 8891
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:14 pm
Location: Waterloo, TX

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby edavis3 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:17 pm

From Herbie:

“Well I think if you’re Charlie Strong you have to have peace of mind, just because if they ask you to leave you’re gonna get paid well, you’re gonna get ‘released.’ When I said released, you’re gonna get released from the cesspool of being in Austin, Texas, and the attitude that comes with being the head coach at Texas. To me, you chased away Mack Brown getting double digit wins, you’re gonna chase away Charlie Strong, and whoever that next guy is, you’re gonna chase him away.”
Image
edavis3
All American
All American
 
Posts: 3866
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: Waxahachie

Re: Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock

Postby Makaveli on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:18 pm

:shock:

That's for real ???
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
User avatar
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron