How I ended up in Stillwater(and later the rest of the trip)

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

How I ended up in Stillwater(and later the rest of the trip)

Postby edavis3 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:10 pm

So let me just start by saying that I know I will leave some details out of this story that others will be able to fill in (especially funny quotes and such) but I wanted to attempt to capture how I ended up in Stillwater this weekend.

I am sitting at home Friday night about 11 and I send Matt what seemed to be a harmless text “love the unis.” See I was watching the Mavs dominate the Lakers and I was commenting on how much I liked one of the new uniforms they are sporting this season. Within about a minute my phone rang and it was Matt. Our conversation went something like this:

Eric: “What’s up dude?”
Matt: “What’s the score I’m not at a place where I can watch the game right now.”
Eric: “We are up by 12 and looking really good” (The Mavs talk went on for a few minutes. This was not out of the ordinary at all as Matt and I talk all the time during Mavs games) so back to the conversation.
Matt: “So guess where I am”
Eric: “Waxahachie? Terrell?”
Matt: “Temple”
Eric: “Temple? Why?”
Matt: “We are going to Stillwater”
Eric: “What? Are you serious?”
Drew: “F#@& yeah we are serious” Followed by random cheering
Eric: “Wow, you guys aren’t going to get there until like 4 AM”
Matt: “Yeah I know but it’s too late now”
Eric: “So when did yall decide this?”
Matt: “Well we went to happy hour and while I was in the bathroom, Drew and Robbi came up with this plan and presented it to me upon my return. Long story short, I went to happy hour and now I am headed to Stillwater.”
Eric: “So yall are in Temple right now?”
Matt: “Yeah”
Eric: “So are yall going to pick me up when you come through Waxahachie?”
Matt: “Yeah if you want us to” More random cheering in the background and laughter.
Eric: “So I have a little over an hour to decide and get ready”
Matt: “Yeah”
Eric: “OK, I will call you back.”
Matt: “OK”
Eric: “Later”

10 minutes pass and I send Matt the following text…”I’m in”….he replies…”Nice”

So first order of business I need to go talk to my wife. (notice I have already committed) So I go into our bedroom where she is sound asleep. I sit on the edge of the bed and nudge her….”Are you awake?” No response. “Hey, can you hear me? I think I am going to go to Stillwater tonight.” I hear mumbles but nothing really audible. So I decide to put this conversation on hold for the minute and go start packing a bag. Thinking if she sees I am serious she won’t care as much when we have this conversation in 30 minutes.

So I go about our room quietly grabbing all the essentials and orange clothes I can with limited lighting. I am going through a mental checklist in my head “toothbrush, don’t forget phone charger, grab your belt,) and then it hit me…I can add value to this trip. So I step out of the bedroom and call Matt:

Matt: “What’s up?”
Eric: “ Where are yall now?”
Matt: “Just went through Waco”
Eric: “So who is all going again?”
Matt: “Well right now, it’s us 4 and maybe Kevin”
Eric: “Oh Kevin’s going? Sweet! Hey I was thinking that if yall wanted to switch cars once yall got here we could take my wife’s Yukon XL. It may give us more room that will come in handy later.”
Matt: “That may not be a bad idea”
Eric: “OK, let me go see what I can do and I will call you back”
Matt: “OK cool”
Eric: “later”

So now I have to go wake up my wife and tell her I am going and that we are taking her car. I walk into the bedroom and sit on the side of the bed again and just stare at her sound asleep. I get up, turn around, walk out of the room, call Matt:

Matt: “Hello”
Eric: “OK we can take it”
Matt: “Sweet”
Eric: “I need to go gas up and run to the bank for some cash, yall call me when you get close.”
Matt: “OK, we will”
Eric: “later”

So I go to the car and open the door to climb in when I notice that both of my sons car seats are in the car. Piss, I need to get those out sense Seth is not going. (Just kidding Seth, but that thought really did cross my mind) So I take the car seats out and bring them in and sit them in the kitchen floor. I go back out to the car and take off on my errands. I get done running around town and I send Matt the following text…..”OK ready to go, gased up and pumped. Yall call me when you get to mile marker 390.”

So I start going through the house making sure I haven’t forgotten anything and packing some last minute items. I am taking stuff out to the car when I get a text from Matt saying…”We are in Italy” which is about 15 minutes away. I picked up the phone and called Matt:

Matt: “Hello”
Eric: “Yall call me when you exit 287.”
Matt: “OK”
Eric: “You are only about 15 minutes away.”
Matt: “OK cool.”
Eric: “Later”

So as I am going back through the house I know I am forgetting something….what is it….oh yeah, my wife still doesn’t know I am leaving. They are 15 minutes away, I am packed, have her car stripped of car seats, gased up and ready to go and she has no idea any of this is going on. So I walk back to our bedroom and as I am approaching her side of the bed, I made a decision….I don’t want to wake her up where she will be pissed. I know she is going to be pissed so I might as well let her get a full nights sleep. So what do I do? I go to the kitchen, take $60 out of my wallet, and place it under a note that says “Love you, call me in the morning and I will explain where I am, no worries I am OK!”

WTF was I doing? I was going to the F’ing game, that’s what I was doing. Then my phone rings, it was Matt:

Matt: “Hey man we just exited”
Eric: “OK cool, so take the 2nd exit off 287.…” (Just directions to my house)
Matt: “So what did your wife say about all of this?”
Eric: “Well, we need to talk about that”
Drew and Matt: “BWAHHHAAAWHAAA”
Matt: “Uh oh”
Eric: “Yeah, I just left her a note”
Matt and Drew: “BHWAHHHEAWAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAHHWANAAWA”
Eric: “Yeah I know, I am f’d in the morning, but in the morning I will be in Stillwater”
Matt: “You are freaking crazy”
Eric: “Yeah I know but we can worry about that tomorrow.”
We stayed on the phone and I guided him to my back driveway. When they pulled up Matt and Drew got out smiling and shaking their heads saying “this is crazy” and “I can’t believe your wife doesn’t know.”

I told them that we needed to act fast so we started transferring all of their luggage from their car to ours. Robbi was passed out in the car and Matt went to wake her up. She sat up in the car, turned her head to the right and the first thing she saw was me, smiling. “Eric Davis? Are you going with us? Is he going too?”

We all busted out laughing!!! It was the beginning of a wonderful weekend. I will write more later but right now I have some honey do’s to attend to that I really need to get done!!

I had a great time everyone!

Hook ‘em Horns!!!
Last edited by edavis3 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edavis3
All American
All American

Re: How I ended up in Stillwater(and later the rest of the trip)

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Glad to see you're still married!

So much fun.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Markaholic on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Your wife must be a saint. Amy would have changed the locks and put the house on the market for not inviting her. :lol:
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby Bevo71 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:24 pm

LOVED reading that! Cant wait for the rest of the story! =D> =D>
Bevo71
All Conference
All Conference

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:12 pm

[Melanie] Eric you're not in college anymore! [/Melanie]
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby UTwiz on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Good stuff.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Silverado on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Awesome.
"All that schooling, and it takes a knucklehead who's passed out on the couch with a foam finger on to connect them with the outside world."--JRod
Silverado
All Conference
All Conference

Postby LMQueen on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:28 pm

:lol:

Greatness. It really was a surprise to wake up in your driveway. I didn't hear any of the conversations between you and Matt. So glad you went for it, it wouldn't have been the same without you. :)
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby LMQueen on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:33 pm

The one important detail that you left out was that you ended up calling her from the car about 30 minutes after departure (around 1:00 am) and waking her up because you were afraid you didn't shut the garage door. :lol:
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby HornMafia on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 pm

It really was a great weekend. Some other thoughts:

-- I was hesitant to go along with this plan at first because I knew once the adrenaline wore off, that I would be driving through Denton with Robbi and Drew both asleep, so it was important to add on to the plan. So I figured that since Kevin was a single guy that he would be the best bet to recruit to go along with us at 1:00 in the morning.

-- Robbi thought about backing out in Jarrell when we stopped at McDonald's, but it was too late then.

-- I was shocked as anyone when Eric even mentioned going along with us. I called him because I thought he would appreciate our plan and the next thing I know he's gassing up the Yukon XL and we're changing vehicles.

-- It was right about Gainesville at about 2:00 in the morning when we said...."what the hell are we doing?"

-- The original plan was to surprise everyone, but then we figured we needed to at least let Todd know, but we were so excited we ended up telling Chay too. Oh well.

-- We roll up to Debi's house at 4:45 in the morning, Eric honks the horn, I hit my head on the rear access door and was cussing like a sailor, Robbi is sick because she's been laying down in the back, and her neighbor is coming outside because some car just honked its horn at 4:45 in the morning. Welcome to Oklahoma.

-- We get up in the morning, eat breakfast, load the cooler, and proceed to leave the cooler in the middle of Debi's kitchen.

-- We have a new pump-up song that must now be played before every Texas game.

-- I remember every trip that I end up hating Oklahoma State fans, but the feeling dissipates with time, and then I step inside that stadium and I remember why. They employ a bunch of high school antics and try to run with the big boys, when really they were originally Oklahoma A&M for a reason. Fans, text your player of the game right now to XXXXX.. and then proceeded to name two players I honestly had never heard of, and they were both Oklahoma State players. Keep in mind we were up 41-7 at this point.

-- And then: THE PLAYS OF THE GAME... and then proceeded to show the illegal hit on Buckner that drew the penalty earlier in the game. And the touchdown that made it 41-14. You're a MIckey Mouse school located in a Mickey Mouse town. F you Oklahoma State, I'm glad we keep ripping your heart out.

-- It's a SILVER OUT! Most of their fans left in the 3rd quarter and came back dressed as empty seats for Halloween.

-- The highlight of the night might have been when they started shooting t-shirts into the stands, one comes shooting up into our section, and all of our fans are yelling "THROW IT BACK! THROW IT BACK!" and the t-shirt goes flying over our heads onto the end zone. Cheers erupt in our section, and we look around and Chay has a shit-eating grin on his face. Yep, a member of the FoLM pleased everyone in section 201 with his antics.

-- It was remarkably easy to get a flask into the stadium, which was great for the Devil on Robbi, Drew and mine's right shoulder, but horrible, horrible news to the Angel on our left shoulders.

-- After the game we saw a dude at Denny's by himself in the corner, on a laptop with earphones, with said laptop plugged into an outlet damn near the ceiling. When you get down on yourself, just think how great it is that you're not in Edmond, Oklahoma on Halloween night by yourself in a Denny's playing on your laptop that is plugged in damn near the ceiling.

-- We get back to Debi's and try to get a sleeping Chay to shotgun a beer with us. It ain't happening.

-- Eric may or may not have had to put the child locks on the windows because of me.

-- It was an outstanding trip, thanks to everyone that made it happen. And Eric, we hope you get the Yukon in the divorce because we have a roadtrip to Pasadena to plan.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 am

I would have had a damn good time regardless, but this thing ended up being legandary with Matt, Robbs, Drew, Eric, and Kevin showing up.

I went up to Stillwater Friday night to see JT play Eskimo Joes. Had an absolute blast there. It was a small show, and I actually got to hang out with JT for the first time in forever. He has been so busy lately with getting the new record out and touring the country that I feel like haven't sat down and had a real converstaion with him in years. It was nice to actually sit down and just hang out with him and Nick for a while.

About the time I arrived at EJ's on Friday I get a text from Robbs that says "Can you keep a secret?". The first thing running through my mind is oh no what the hell have I done now. Turns out the secret was that they were on their way from Austin. I didn't really believe them until I got a picture text of Temple's football stadium from Drew. Even at that point I was still skeptical. Then they call and say Kevin is now in. Im starting to believe them at this point. But then they say Eric is now in, and I am once again convinced that they are full of shit. I go back on about my business of partying with Dave, JT, and Nick and decided I will call them when I leave the bar. Well about 3 AM I call and sure enough I get a car full of people yelling in the phone claiming to be in Denton. Hilarious!

The hangover Saturday morning was pretty brutal, but thanks to a strong breakfast whipped up by Debbie, Denim, Shawna, and Todd it was put into submission pretty quickly.

I liked Stillwater. I know that might be sacreligous to say on here, but I thought it was a pretty cool little town. I wouldn't want to stay there for a extended period of time, but I really enjoyed their gameday scene. Thought they had some pretty nice tailgate set ups, and most of their bars were little hole in the wall type places which I'm a big fan of. Plus drinks were cheap as shit. I bought 6 beers and 4 shots at halftime at some bar, and my total with tip was $28. BAD ASS!

Had fun at the game. Sat around some very cool people. Big thanks to Vicki for the ticket, and the company.

I met two pretty cool and good looking chicks from OK State in the stands. They were sitting behind me, and I hit it off with them. They took me, Drew, Robbs, and Matt down to some bar at halftime for drinks. Then they took me out with them the rest of the night. Had a blast with them. Too bad they live in freaking Tulsa.

The t-shirt incident was pretty funny. I made a pretty bad ass one handed stab in a crowd of about 10 people going for it. I quickly realized it was a orange OK State shirt. So I figured hey this Becky chick is pretty hot and been very nice to me all game. I'll just give it to her since she went here. Then everybody around us starts chanting "throw it back, throw it back." So with out even hesitating I rare back and launch that m'fer all the way back on to the field from Section 201 Row 21. The crowd went f'ing wild and I spent the next 5 minutes obliging high five request.

All in all I had an absolute blast. And to think as late as Wednesday I wasn't going to make the trip any more. So glad I changed my mind. Thanks to every one who made it so great. And big thanks to Vicki for my game ticket and Debbie for putting up with having all us assholes in her home for a weekend.

Oh one last thing. You aren't in college anymore!
txlonghorn47

Postby dahorns on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:16 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

sigh...
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby VaHornFan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:32 am

So much fun! We were just sitting at the tailgate (the OSU people we met a couple years ago who came to Austin last year) and I look over and see Eric peeking around! OMG! And then I gradually see everybody else from the group. What a fantastic surprise. It made the trip even more fun. Sorry they weren't all there on Friday night.

We started out late Fri. afternoon at Eskimo Joe's for a couple drinks w/ the Poke fans. Then headed to Hideaway Pizza for dinner. After that, on to Murphy's - our favorite Stillwater bar. Pool for 50 cents seemed like a good plan until Bob tried to break the balls (or whatever you call it) and the cue ball went bouncing across the bar into the leg of the guy shooting darts next to us! Hilarious! The poor guy assaulted by the cue ball ended up befriending us and he and his g'friend played a game w/ Bob and Vicki. More Longhorns started arriving and it got crazy around midnight when people in costumes started showing up. Everybody was very nice and I don't think they expected to win at all. Way too much fun and I was suffering Sat. morning, but feeling good by Sat. afternoon! Our seats were right by the walkway where our players went in and out of the locker room, so that was amazing. They seemed to really appreciate us all being there. Kevin Durant came over to the fence to talk to some of the kids. Greg Davis was hugging everybody after the game. Lots of excitement all around. The players looked entirely calm and focused from beginning to end.

Such a great time! We have met some very nice people up there and always have a memorable trip.
VaHornFan
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:07 am

Jesus H.....

Eric Davis, you have stones the size of Saturn. :shock:

I am in awe.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:24 am

Not sure what else I can add...

Matt and I met Robbi at Flying Saucer later Friday afternoon. She was already a drink or two ahead of us by the time we arrived, and when she suggested we throw caution to the wind and go, I thought she was joking. Nope. It took about 15 minutes of cajoling to bring Matt on board, but I'm really glad we did it, even if the drive up seemed like a horrible idea by the time we hit the border.

For only getting about four hours of sleep Saturday morning, I never felt that bad. It seemed much like OU weekend... we were just running on adrenaline.

Stillwater is better when you don't spend too much time there.

OSU must have the biggest ratio of "nice facilities to mickey mouse program" of any school in the country. Boone Pickens Stadium is a pretty nice place (even though the shallow rise creates sightline issues when people stand the whole time). But man, as Matt reiterated, the gameday experience there is high school level.

One of the best lines of the night was from Robbi (to an OSU student that kept giving the horns down): "Hey, are you going as a douchebag for Halloween?"

We ran into "Kenny Powers" when exiting the bar at halftime. I told him he was fucking out and laughed like I was five years old.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby VaHornFan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 am

There was a kid on the corner by the tailgate w/ his cooler spray painted w/ upside-down Horns. I asked him if he saved that cooler just for our game or if he used it for all games! so silly
VaHornFan
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby edavis3 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Chay let me see your phone.

Crab hasbrowns and Salmon biscuits.

I thought those guys were drunk, turns out they were just from Denmark.

Let me ask those cops working that accident if they think we will beat ucf.

Drew sounds like Darth Vador skinning a cat while he is asleep.

I can't fit on thi f'ing couch. Seth wouldn't have a problem. He could do a gymnastics floor exercise on that thing.

Air band!
edavis3
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:40 pm

The Air Band on the way back was greatness.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby edavis3 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:10 pm

I also love brake check Kevin.
edavis3
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Wait how did the air band perform with out the piano player?
txlonghorn47

Postby HornMafia on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm

We had a couple of fill-ins, which was made even more remarkable by the fact that the songs didn't have a keyboard in them.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:05 pm

I just remembered this one.

Me: Hey this game is over I'm going to the bar with these OK State chicks. Y'all call me when y'all leave the stadium.

Robbi(staring unapprovingly at me and said OK State chicks): YOU BETTER ANSWER BECAUSE WE WILL LEAVE YOUR ASS!

:lol: :lol:
txlonghorn47

Postby HornMafia on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:11 pm

:lol:
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Eric Davis did perhaps the best air harmonica I have ever seen.

Strong.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby OKC Longhorn on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:16 pm

It was great to see everyone! As of Thursday morning I thought there was going to be 4 of us driving to Stillwater.......ended up with 10!! Greatness.......and we still had biscuits and orange juice to spare!
OKC Longhorn
All American
All American

Next

Return to Football Talk