NBA Franchise Pecking Order

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

NBA Franchise Pecking Order

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Doing a partial knee-jerk only...

Kings: Celtics, Lakers
Barons: Bulls, Heat, Spurs, Cavs, Warriors, Thunder (all based on recent success/runs)

If the Rockets can unseat the Warriors in the West this year they join the Barons tier. The Knights consists of anyone that has played in the finals at least twice in the last 20-30 years and has more playoff series wins than lottery picks in that span (Mavs and Pistons come to mind).

This feels like a Bill Simmons podcast to me.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: NBA Franchise Pecking Order

Postby Bucharest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Thunder......yikes.

Maybe I should read the rules in the other thread, but nay-nay....never mind the Rockets, but the Thunder over the Pistons.....I mean, they haven't won a thing in the last what.....40 years......I believe 39 to be exact.....might have been '77?

Hell, I might take Utah over OKC/Seattle.....maybe Portland too?
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm

No real rules to speak of.

Funny, I didn't initially have OKC. I added them right before I hit submit because I thought the first comment would be, "where are the Thunder?".

Only real rationale was that they went to the finals and have been something of a thorn in San Antonio's side, and they seem to be okay this year after turning over a significant portion of their lineup.

I haven't paid much attention to the NBA this season.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

If I had a dollar for every time somebody said "Where are the Thunder".....I'd have just enough money to be relevant for 15 seconds on Stage 2 at Palazio. :)

Speaking of.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I'd take the Cavs, Warriors and Heat out of that, too.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm

So outside of Lakers and Celtics stars matter and franchises don't?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

I just have a bigger picture thinking of it. The Cavs were awful without Lebron save for a few years in the early 90’s, the Warriors were the same except for a little bit in the 70’s, and the Heat won a tainted title in 2006.

:)

The Mavs were the second winningest team of the past 20 years (behind the Spurs). They belong in there if the Cavs do.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 am

Where does "bigger picture" end though?

Spurs have been fortunate to have D-Rob, Duncan, and now Kawhi to carry the mantle (and are no better than third-best in the West with Kawhi, much less without him right now); Duncan was the constant in all of the titles. Mavs have waned as Dirk has inched toward retirement.

Outside of Celtics and Lakers what teams have endured beyond their mega stars? The Bulls owned the 90s, the Lakers and Spurs ruled the 00s, and barring something weird Lebron and the Warriors will own the teens.

Hell, if GSW wins this year they'll tie the Spurs for fourth all-time in titles. And you can make the case - setting aside mere star power - that the Spurs are the NBA's third-best franchise of all time. Obviously Jordan is the GOAT and Duncan is somewhere in the 8-12 range (I would guess), but outside of their respective best players San Antonio's history is just as good, if not better.

It's an interesting discussion, for sure. I guess where I'm going with it is that NBA feels like a "what have you done for me lately" league, and with super teams and top-heavy star talent it's harder to make the distinction between great teams and great players.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk