Texas Basketball 2014-15 Thread: Fire Rick Barnes

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Texas Basketball 2014-15 Thread: Fire Rick Barnes

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:05 am

Things get underway tonight against North Dakota State who isn't nearly as good at basketball as they are in football. Some good games on the non-conference slate this year as we face Iowa, maybe Syracuse, UCONN (hopefully I'll be there), Kentucky and Stanford.

Texas comes in ranked 10th in both preseason polls since they return everyone except Martez Walker (domestic violence = bad) and the addition of Myles Turner. Texas will be a nightmare matchup for most teams because of insane front court depth, but the question remains can they space the floor and hit shots from the perimeter when they need to. They were pretty brutal last year offensively at times and if they can get consistency outside to go along with what should be the nation's second best front court (behind Kentucky) then Texas has a shot to make a good run.

Last year's team was a pleasant surprise. Here's hoping this year's team can live up to the massive expectations.
Last edited by AtlLonghorn on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Re: Texas Basketball 2014-15 Thread

Postby dahorns on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:31 am

agreed...

looking forward to the season

Stanford only decent home non-conference game, but that's alright.
I'm sure a couple (or more) $8 beers will off-set non-conference games.
At least with 10 teams, we will once again get to see every Big 12 team at home.
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Will be interesting to see who steps up as an outside threat, because I'm not sure they have an established 3-pt shooter per se on this roster... do they?
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:22 pm

I am excite.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:46 am

Myles Turner checks in with 16:00 minutes to play in the first half (congrats Connor Lammert, you'll always be able to tell your grand kids you started the season ahead of Myles Turner).

First shot, turnaround 12 foot baseline jumper. Swish.

Second shot, face up 18 footer. Money.

Third shot, one legged Dirk Nowitzki fadeaway. Splash.

Mind you, I'm in a communal work space at work with 70 other people and I'm damn near on my feet cheering/taking my pants off less than seven minutes into the season opener.

His game most closely resembles LaMarcus Aldridge, but he is light years ahead of where LaMarcus was as a freshman. He's not the electrifying offensive talent Durant was, but he's a better defender at this stage. Turner and Ibeh on the floor together defensively is damn near unfair.

We all know the stigma attached to the head man in charge so falling short of expectation is possible, but this team could end up being pretty damn good.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:48 am

AtlLonghorn wrote:We all know the stigma attached to the head man in charge so falling short of expectation is possible, but this team could end up being pretty damn good.

That is why I find it hard to get too excited about this team. Fun to watch, for sure.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Had some clients in this weekend.....one of which actually grew up in North Dakota, so needless to say, he was unexpectedly excited.

Few thoughts from last night:
1) Beer Sales
2) Yeah, Miles Turner is an absolute freak.....tallest and most athletic guy on the floor, and that Dirk step-back fade away move was pretty sweet.....guy is awesome.....really going to enjoy him for six months.
3) Surprisingly great crowd as I imagine it was about 3/4 full, but really into it....tickets were not cheap.
4) Beer Sales
5) I really liked Jordan Barrett........seems like a "Rick Barnes guy".
6) Shooting appears to have improved, which isn't saying much, and I realize it was against NDSU, but they weren't hitting some of those shots wide open last year.
7) Beer Sales
8 ) Two new Pom girls......wow......just wow.....distracting.
9) Agreed with Atl's thought re: having Turner and Ibeh out there at the same time.....we will own the lane this year.
10) Beer Sales
11) DJ Mel(local guy that's been in Austin forever) is actually playing during time outs during the game....they're really trying to change the "experience"....still up in the air on that, but Mel's a good start.
12) Could do without the new pyrotechnics display when announcing the starting lineup
13) Ridley appears to have lost some weight and looked great, but Turner can shoot free throws just fine, so we won't need to take out our "big man" in crunch time.
14) Second to last is the most obvious, I love Jonathan Holmes.....he does it all.....pretty sure if Barnes had to name his all-time favorite player, it would be Holmes.
15) Beer Sales....thank you Steve Patterson.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:47 am

Another impressive win overall and good to see the success behind the arc. I guess it wouldn't be a Barnes team if they shot better than 9 of 18 from the charity stripe, but seems like good ball movement on offense and scoring from all over the floor, which is good to see. Two great warmups for stiffer competition ahead.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby dahorns on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:53 pm

9) Agreed with Atl's thought re: having Turner and Ibeh out there at the same time.....we will own the lane this year.

Throw in Ridley and other than maybe Kentucky and KU, we will man-handle everyone else in the lane;
not sold o nKU yet, they lost a lot of players to the NBA, so we'll see

January 24th home game against them will be huge
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Apparently Isaiah Taylor is going to be out a few weeks with a wrist injury because he felt the need to try and make Sportscenter's Top 10 with two minutes left in a blowout and got fouled hard by an Iowa player. Frustrating, dumb decision.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Beating UConn on the road sans Taylor is pretty sexy.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes it is.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:20 pm

- First time going to Storrs. It's an hour from Bristol in the middle of nowhere. The campus was nice, but I thought it was weird that it had a cemetery and a dairy farm right there on campus.

- UCONN has two basketball arenas. They play at the XL Center in Hartford for bigger opponents usually. They have a really good track record at the smaller on-campus facility, Gampel Pavilion, which is why they scheduled this game for that venue.

- When I say smaller, I mean. It barely seats 10,000 people which is great because pretty much all the seats are good.

- I thought we played well in the first half. The defense was off the charts and we pushed the tempo well in transition. We didn't rebound as well as I'd like, but I felt we were unlucky not to lead by more at the break. UCONN fans love Ryan Boatright, but his ball-stopping, hold if for 30 seconds and then shoot a terrible shot offense was so bad...until he started hitting those bullshit shots.

- Myles Turner is really fun to watch defensively. Anything that goes in the paint near him just gets swallowed up.

-Mack Brown was behind the Texas bench. He was riveted by the halftime show, an acrobatic group called The Beale Street Flippers. He gave them a rousing standing ovation and then offered them scholarships to come play safety. #LowHangingFruit

- The second half was a Rick Barnes special. Slowly give momentum away, take bad shots, show no ability to create on offense, watch the other team take control of the game and not use timeouts to try and slow the momentum.

- Hopefully Zay Taylor has Wolverine-like healing abilities because this team is dicked without him in the long term.

- All that said, they certainly are every bit as resilient as they showed last year. Could've let the game get away entirely, but they fought to stay in it to give themselves a chance.

- Having the name John Holmes must mean you're gifted with something mighty down below. Wide open yes, clutch shot, yes.

- To the UCONN fan who was trying to use me and my friend as an example of poor sportsmanship, we have a chant called "Texas Fight" we do it at sporting events. We tried to start it after the game. Here is my ass, kiss all of it.

- The second half was pretty poor, but we went on the road at a place where the opposition doesn't lose very often and tried our best to give it away before finding a way to win. Cannot be unhappy with that.

AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am

Also have to believe that wins like that, against a ranked opponent on the road, will pay dividends in seeding come March.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:18 pm

I want Kentucky again on a neutral floor in March with Isaiah Taylor healthy and the clowns that officiated the game tonight shot into the sun in a rocket.

You aren't turning the ball over 22 times on the road and winning very often.

We have three games before Stanford. Those games should be used as point guard audition time. Jevan Felix is a disaster as a starting point guard.

What the hell happened to Cam Ridley? He is a non-factor out there. It kills one of our biggest advantages when one of our big guys is playing so small.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Yeah. Played like shit and without half our team for large stretches and it was still a five point game with less than a minute to go.

Good stuff.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 am

Have we been fooled again?
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:56 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:Have we been fooled again?

Is Rick Barnes still the coach? Then yes.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Rick Barnes is really Rick Barnes'ing the shit out of this season.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:26 am

It seemed on offense that guys were passing up lots of opportunities to drive to the basket and instead either pull up for tough jumpers or try and finesse layups. Frustrating. Put that damn size and physicality to use.

Read Barnes talking about a handful of defensive breakdowns in the second half that led to outcome. Well, make some adjustments. Do something - anything - to get Nash out of rhythm. Cheese and rice.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Welcome back from the wilderness, Ridley. That was a nice performance in a solid win today.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:17 pm

This game is boring as hell, but what's not to like about TCU cheerleaders? Lets all give thanks for academically incapable girls with rich daddies!
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:41 pm

I am really tired of watching Felix.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:27 pm

And Barnes.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Music City Mafia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:I am really tired of watching Felix.

Amen. Take care of the damn ball. For every offensive score he generates for the team, it seems like he creates two for the opponent with eitehr turnovers or poor shot selections.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Next

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk