2015 PGA @ Whistling Straits

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Postby Bucharest on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Random question, but is anyone going by any chance.....or is anyone thinking of going?

I'm about to buy two "Wannamaker Club" tickets, which is just a daily pass with access to what I imagine is a booze tent with TV's everywhere, so definitely worth it. However, they have another option where if you buy four of those at the same per ticket price, then you get tickets to the 2020 Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits. It's not included in the price, but you're provided "guaranteed access" to those Ryder Cup tickets.

Figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger as "guaranteed access" to a Ryder Cup event in the States is pretty awesome and hard to come by. Plus, a week in Wisconsin in August sounded like a good idea. I really want to see/walk/play that course at some point, so figured the PGA and/or Ryder Cup would be good times to do that.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Re: 2015 PGA @ Whistling Straits

Postby LMQueen on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Wow, that sounds awesome. We were looking at 2017 at Pebble Beach.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Makaveli on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:08 pm

We are Going to 2015 US Open.

I Played at Chambers Bay in July. They had the Open fairways and rough at Open specs on a trial run.

I played it at 7300 (back tees that day) and shot 76. Didn't make anything but hit it in the fairway and under hole thanks to caddie. They can stretch it to nearly 8000 but imagine they play various setups around 7600 for the tournament. It was really friendly off the tee in my opinion, but here is the crazy part.... We had easy middle pins. With the right (wrong) pin setups that course could be so hard I'd never be able to finish. And it would be easy to get a setup where I couldn't break 120.

It's hard to describe how unique it is, because it's like playing a totally different game. Lots of links stuff, hit it left to go right, hit it right to go left....land it short to miss long, etc. There was a spot (#7 maybe?) where a missed 3-footer could leave you a 5-iron coming back (they won't play that pin)... But I was so fascinated by the whole thing. Apparently had not seen links golf before. And I can't wait to see them play that event.

Place could just beat you to pieces if they wanted. Those guys will probably go there and play 4 days subpar and I'll wanna quit golf.

Just one more thing that was crazy.... There is no line of green vs fairway. It's all just a giant green and the putting surface is determined by lines of sprinkler heads. In one spot on 15 or so I essentially had a 273 foot eagle putt but coming down a 2-3 story mound to the hole.... My only shot was to hit about a 110 yard shot at a line 50 feet right of hole just to keep it on the "green". It's crazy, crazy stuff and if you're ever in Sea/Tac you gotta go see it. Note: it's 6.5 hour pace of play standard foursomes with no waiting.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:27 am

Yeah I've been looking forward to Chambers Bay ever since it was announced.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 am

Was thinking about that as well as I'll be in Seattle for work the week before.......if only it were the week of. Did y'all already get tickets......looking like the weekend is already sold out for the most part.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah I got Saturday passes right when they went on sale.

Don't recall prices but it wasn't bad at all. I'm sure they're available somewhere.

I actually wanted to be a volunteer and screwed up and didn't get my request in there on time
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Chambers Bay is getting raked over the coals by the pros.

There is talk of uphill, downhill and side hill tee boxes and at least one hole switching pars from day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/go ... /26604693/
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:12 pm

I was reading about it earlier in the week. Sounds like an impending disaster.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:33 am

Tiger's dick gets sucked in 3....2...1....
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:02 pm

There's no doubt the place is versatile to the extreme but that doesn't mean they'll use it. I mean surely they won't use it...right. ??

It could be straight up Mickey Mouse if they wanted. Will be fun to see what happens regardless.

I'm most interested to see what they do with holes 7 and 9. If you want maximum madness... You want a front left pin on 7. I contend that a downhill 3 footer for birdie could become a 5-iron for par if the ball plinkos around down the hill and dodges the bunkers. ...And then just about any location on the left center of 9 if they play from the upper tee (that makes the hole extreme downhill). The 240 yard uphill tee isn't nearly as interesting because the slope is just a backstop Tom that angle.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 pm

They just won't do it. That's not the USGA's deal. It's unique and risky enough already.

I wish they would but they won't. They'll set it up so it looks like a golf tournament. Will look like a British Open on TV. Local knowledge will be huge. They'll be some crazy bounces and roll outs, some complaining but it will be golf.

It's fascinating to think of that property in a different context though, if one were to be allowed to stage a circus there. Like a reality game show for golfers. It's flexibility and versatility is beyond belief. I swear you could set it up where most of them couldn't even finish.

Im just kinda hoping somebody gets slightly drunk and miscalculates on maybe one hole by a foot or two and we get some real comedy. But I'm dreaming.

On a more serious note, I really don't think all that long rough is in play. You shouldn't see many shots from there, it requires really terrible misses to get into that. I personally was not long enough to even hit it into that shit.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:33 pm

One more set of thoughts as I go back to back to back.

There was yet another element that's unique compared to any other golf course I've ever seen (that's like 5 things now). For some reason it plays huge tricks on your depth perception. I'm not sure why but it must have something to do with constant elevation change combined with no trees, backdrops that are much higher or lower in elevation than you can fathom, the mounding (sometimes it looks like a small mound but it actually size of a house or vice versa), and the fact there is no definition as to what is the putting surface.

You often can't "feel" how far away you are by looking and it's extreme. Example, on early par 5 (#4 maybe ) I got to drive in fairway and thought damn that's two good shots just to reach in regulation. Caddy points me to pin over bunker and says its 203 yards. It looked like 350. I called bullshit and hit range finder like 5-6 times and still didn't believe it. I hit 4 iron anyway and sure enough landed in middle of green.

I remember another spot where I though it was a short pitch like 30-40 yards and it was actually almost 100 yards.

Now these guys are too good in those spots and it won't show on TV... However... With the small landing areas on "feel" shots it will make it that much more difficult for those not intimately familiar with their surroundings (most all of them)
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Since I previously hijacked this into a Chambers Bay thread... What kind of score are we expecting there ? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

I keep coming back to fact that length is non-issue for those guys and the golf course is huge and wide open. Wind and weather should not be a factor... Yet those greens are crazy. But I just don't see big number potential, although certainly lots of bogies available. What is the consensus ? I haven't heard one.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:35 am

I think even par is probably good here but yeah I haven't heard a consensus. It looks like a second shot golf course to me.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am

I hate the looks of it. Second year in a row they've completely ruined the course. It's the US Open not the British.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 pm

"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:19 pm

They work hard to get it that ugly, too.

I don't think it's the right representation for the PNW. Everything else up there is immaculate green.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk