2014 World Cup

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: 2014 World Cup

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:56 am

I think you're ignoring reality. Soccer in the US isn't a fleeting fad anymore.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 am

Apparently the only thing cooler than soccer now is making sure you let everybody know you liked soccer before it was cool.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 am

Why does it bother you so much that soccer has caught on in this country?
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:25 am

I think it's just fatigue from ESPN's coverage combined with people's memories of previous statements that soccer is about to boom in the US.

I'm not bothered by it, but that's probably why others are.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:38 am

Yeah. It totally sucks to have something that is actually going on to talk about instead of watching the countdown to football season and having in depth conversations about the Denver Broncos third string linebacker situation.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am

U2-Horn wrote:I think it's just fatigue from ESPN's coverage combined with people's memories of previous statements that soccer is about to boom in the US.

I'm not bothered by it, but that's probably why others are.

I get it, but that's what ESPN does, and it's not just the World Cup. Anything of note gets fatigued by ESPN's coverage. And if it's not ESPN it's NBC. Or FOX. We live in a 24/7 news cycle... people need to just deal with it. And ESPN wouldn't be doing it if people weren't watching.

The whole thing just seems silly. A lot of Americans still hate soccer. I get it. No sweat. A lot of Americans have embraced soccer. Some did long ago, and a lot more got into it more recently. Again, big deal. Hell, I would bet I started watching hockey before anyone I know. I was a Longhorn fan well before I set foot on campus, unlike MANY people I know. I don't get my panties in a wad when I see any of them post about the Stanley Cup playoffs or show up at tailgates.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 am

This is slowly morphing into Kevin's theory about any long thread on LMFZ being filled with argument. Well done everyone.

Oh and if nothing else the World Cup gives us a chance to be a xenophobe.

Lighten up, Francis.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am

HornMafia wrote:This is slowly morphing into Kevin's theory about any long thread on LMFZ being filled with argument. Well done everyone.

Oh and if nothing else the World Cup gives us a chance to be a xenophobe.

Lighten up, Francis.

This is in no way a bad thing. See also: Summer/Winter Olympics
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 am

HornMafia wrote:This is slowly morphing into Kevin's theory about any long thread on LMFZ being filled with argument. Well done everyone.

There's a reason that's the only thing in that thread that is a law and not a theory.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:20 am

Drew Corleone wrote:I think you're ignoring reality. Soccer in the US isn't a fleeting fad anymore.

When people only care for a month every 4 years that's the definition of a fad. I don't hate soccer. I could be seated in the "don't care one way or the other" section. It's interesting with the amount of coverage and promotion that it drew as much as America's Got Talent. And that's when the Yanks play. It draws worse ratings than WWE Monday NIght Raw when it's other countries. The Olympic men's snowboarding halfpipe drew more than double the ratings as the US/Portugal match.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:43 am

If you don't care, why not be seated in the "scroll past the World Cup thread" section?
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Drew Corleone wrote:Hell, I would bet I started watching hockey before anyone I know.

I'll take that bet :)

Didn't start following the horns until I moved to texas to go to school at UT, always liked soccer but really didn't get into following leagues until about 2 years ago. But I did go to my first hockey game at 4 months old (unfortunately the Rangers), and watched hockey with my grandfather and dad from the earliest time I can remember. 1982 came and my 6 year old self went to a couple of games of the first Devils season, and to the chagrin of my dad I've bled red and green ever since.

That being said, the more people that talk about it and watch it the better the sport is. I look forward to world cups and Olympics for USA pride and the drama on the world stage. The buzz at work the past week has been awesome, people working out of the break rooms, random high fives and I believes, etc. I give zero fucks that after the cup ends these people won't care for another 3 years and 12 months, they've made work fun for now.
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby LMQueen on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Exactly, I don't normally watch gymnastics, swimming, curling, figure skating, women's beach volleyball, etc. on a regular basis either. When it is the Olympics, suddenly you have something/someone to automatically cheer for.
It is fun to watch something new (to me) when it is on this big of a stage.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:22 pm

25.6 million people watched the BCS National Title game
24.7 million people watched the US-Portugal game last night (on ESPN and Univision)

decent numbers for a sport nobody in America likes.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Soccer is huge in this country now. Not so much our generation and older, but with the younger crowd. Especially, my daughter's age group and below.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 pm

BarryBnds wrote:
Drew Corleone wrote:I think you're ignoring reality. Soccer in the US isn't a fleeting fad anymore.

When people only care for a month every 4 years that's the definition of a fad. I don't hate soccer. I could be seated in the "don't care one way or the other" section. It's interesting with the amount of coverage and promotion that it drew as much as America's Got Talent. And that's when the Yanks play. It draws worse ratings than WWE Monday NIght Raw when it's other countries. The Olympic men's snowboarding halfpipe drew more than double the ratings as the US/Portugal match.

Couple of things there... RAW almost always eclipses cable sports ratings. I know this because I watch RAW and they flash that graphic at least once or twice per week. In this case you are wrong, as WC games have averaged a 2.3 rating v. RAW's average of around 1.5.

And I don't know what the ratings were for the snowboarding, but USA-Portugal drew a 9.1, which falls just below the 9.9 average for the five BCS games, so if more than twice as many people watched snowboarding that that game then more power to those individuals.

And beyond tv ratings for cherry-picked WC games, look at the fact that the EPL has a US tv contract that broadcasts every game. MLS just expanded again to include a team backed by EPL's Manchester City in NYC, and most MLS teams have built soccer-specific stadiums, indicating a pretty healthy financial position for the league. And then there's the anedcotal stuff... the people I see walking around in jerseys, or the bars that open up early to show matcjes, or the traffic on websites whose primary focus is MLB or college football.

The misconception you're promoting is that because it hasn't eclipsed the big 4 it hasn't moved the radar, and that's just not accurate.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:12 pm

And now can we get back to talking about the actual World Cup?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

I was waiting on trying to follow EPL, but pissing him off seems about as good as any. Give me some mid teir names to checkout. I don't want to be a frontrunner fan, but I don't want someone who will be demoted either.
We enjoy Dynamo games too btw.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:29 pm

I've been trying to watch more MLS.

If you're just looking for mid-level teams that can jump up and knock off a top squad, I'd go with Everton, who actually just missed Champions this past season. Tim Howard is their keeper.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Or sunderland, but only in the last 6 games of the season. And to be fair, I had originally picked a front runner in tottenham but only because of Clint dempsey. Sunderland was my second choice after deuce moved to Seattle and the mls. Chose sunderland for Jozy, who was a big disappointment this season. Would have liked to see him play more later in the season when the midfield situation finally clicked, I've just gotta believe he would have had more chances to score if he had a midfield that could get him the damn ball
eochs

Postby eochs on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm still a free agent on MLS. I like Seattle a lot, but only because their fans are just plain awesome. Was a NY/NJ Metrostars fan way back in the day, but once they dropped the NJ and changed to be the Red Bulls I stopped caring
eochs

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:25 pm

beam,coke,&horns wrote:I was waiting on trying to follow EPL, but pissing him off seems about as good as any. Give me some mid teir names to checkout. I don't want to be a frontrunner fan, but I don't want someone who will be demoted either.
We enjoy Dynamo games too btw.

I nominate Leonard to be the resident Wolverhampton supporter.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Aren't they in second division?

And I don't understand the draw in picking mid-level teams, unless you really like the Europa League or want to win the FA Cup. Okay, fine, you're not a front-runner, but Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool all have a ton of fans out and about on weekends watching games here in town and none of those people chose them for their underdog qualities. And I doubt that the Jaguars or Browns have oodles of brit fans because they don't want to cheer for Green Bay or New England (not that US sports are really a great comparison).

Just a pick a team and stick with them. Based on my limited interaction talking EPL with the brits, they're going to think whatever "allegiance" you have is kind of silly.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:18 pm

I dunno... If I ran into some limey fuck and he was all "Yeah I'm a huge Yankees fan" I'd probably want to kick him in the balls.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 pm

And yes, Wolves were actually 3rd division for a year.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

PreviousNext

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk