2014 World Cup

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: 2014 World Cup

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:02 pm

beam,coke,&horns wrote:Pretty good take. Agree on most points, especially #1.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11166044&categoryid=2378529

Not as a bad as I thought it was going to be, but still a pretty pedestrian overall take, IMO.

My thoughts on each point...

1. Stop imitating the English

Eh, I could go either way. If you watch a lot of English soccer you're going to gravitate to their terms. Honestly, it's less annoying to me than hearing American commentators talk about the "burn" during the British Open (oh, excuse me, The Open Championship). I tried to steer clear of "pitch," "kit," and "nil," and especially from the pluralization nonsense, but sometimes it just comes out.

2. Grow a great American play-by-play man

Sure, that'd be nice. But every week during the fall I see countless tweets, message board posts and blogs complaining about crappy football announcers, so maybe we should focus more on growing a great American play-by-play man for our own game. If a guy can call the game, why do I care about his nationality? I'm curious to know if the brits think that Ian Darke calling a Cowboys-Giants game would make the NFL more palatable in Manchester.

3. Lay off the elitism

You know what counters this? More people watching soccer and fewer making the same tired anti-soccer comments. The more mainstream it becomes the less elitist it is. Simple. These types of articles fuel elitism, IMO. Brief aside: baseball is regressing toward this mean, I believe.

4. Calm down

This is a pretty say-nothing point. Did he just throw it in to make it seven points instead of six? Who needs to calm down and why? Don't tell me that crap at the Texas-OU game, jackass.

5. Do something about the MLS team names

His most salient point, IMO, though he used it to bash two team names that I don't think sound so goofy. "FC" is pretty common worldwide. "Real Salt Lake" sounds fucking stupid (so does "Sporting KC," though not as bad). Though I would absolutely get behind the Dallas Texan Cowboy Oil Stars, especially when they play the New York Soccer Yankees (not a bad name; I believe some of the euro pro basketball teams share a name with their more well-known soccer clubs).

6. Stay away from FIFA

Would love to. He's absolutely right that FIFA is a corrupt, horrible organization. But if we're going to tackle those I'd prefer to start with the NCAA (and maybe the IOC).

7. Won’t somebody think of the children?

Eh, another throwaway point.

So... five real points, two of which I think have any real bearing on anything, and one of those isn't even feasible at this time (the US isn't toppling FIFA).

I think it comes down to establishing an American identity, which I believe is in progress. This insipid "is soccer ever going to get big?" argument is almost anachronistic, and people just don't seem to see it. The prevailing narrative suggests that there has to be an overnight transformation from niche sport to NFL rival, but the reality is that we've reached the tipping point.

Between the MLS, broadcast rights to major euro leagues (and Champions League), and increased exposure to international competitions (including moderate success from the USMNT), the growth is there. The interest is there. It will swell every four years, but in the meantime some of those will stick. More people will gravitate to the game each time soccer makes headlines, and most importantly, more of the kids that play youth soccer are going to stick with the game long term (and with the soccer academies that have arisen they'll get developed in a manner more akin to euro and south america than ever before).

Regardless of what any of us want to say, it's a part of the sports landscape now. And it doesn't need to be fixed, or re-thought, or "americanized." It just needs to keep evolving.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:41 pm

The people who don't like soccer seem to be the ones trying to have the "will soccer ever get big" argument. As long as it's profitable enough for NBC to buy the US broadcast rights to EPL who gives a shit?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Yeah, I think the ones desperately trying to shout down soccer have overtaken the ones desperately trying to pimp it in the annoying department.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:05 pm

I really enjoyed watching some of these games. The skill level/ball control really is phenomenal. I may follow Everton simply because of Howard. I also know they were mentioned as a mid-level team that could step up and win some big games from time to time.

One of the teams at the World Cup had a really young kid playing (who I think was wearing #10). I think the announcers said he was on a Spanish team, but that English teams were eyeing him. I wish I could remember his name, because he was really fun to watch. Reminded me of Elvis Andrus as a rookie. If he winds up on an EPL team that might sway me.

Anyone have an idea who it might have been? I know, not much to go on...
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:14 pm

found him: Juan Fernando Quintero of Colombia. I guess he plays in Portugal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... d-cup-2014
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:02 am

If it's #10 for Colombia it's James Rodriguez. He's 22 years old and was bought by AS Monaco in the French League last year for 45 million pounds (like 77 million american I think?). Real Madrid is about to break the bank for him though they can afford it. He's been the best player at the World Cup so far.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:16 am

Yeah, you're right--that was him. That goal where he received it on his chest and shot with the left foot was unreal.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:18 am

[not so humble brag] I was at that game and it was kind of dull up to that point because Uruguay was trying to make it that way because they are shit without Suarez and when he scored that goal the stadium exploded it was an INCREDIBLE goal. [/not so humble brag]
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:32 am

I think my favorite player is Yedlin.

Altidore might have been that guy if he had played more, because you have to like a guy that can play soccer, be an A+ rapper and marry a Kardashian.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 am

Yeah, I really like Yedlin, too. And it seems like Altidore is much older than he is, but he has another 2-3 WCs left in him.

One guy you may hear about in the coming months is Gedion Zelalem, a 17-yo dual German-American that elected not to play for Germany in a UEFA competition a few months ago after playing for their U15 and U17 teams prior. This makes him eligible for the USMNT, and if he follows through he almost certainly is in the mix as early as next year's Gold Cup. He's a midfielder that has already debuted for Arsenal after making a splash for their junior team.

I think there are a few more potential "recruits" as well, which could help us bridge the gap while all of the various developmental systems identify and cultivate more homegrown talent.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 am

Yeah I have heard Zelalem mentioned in two different podcasts this week.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 am

speaking of rapping USMNT soccer stars (HornMafia), may I present to you, Clint Dempsey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PhRq0UxF74&feature=kp
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby HornMafia on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Penalty kicks = lame
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Yeah. Cant believe Argentina missed that header.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Dude, I was laughing my ass off at Clint rapping.... then it ended up sounding not bad! =D> =D>

Should be one hell of a game on Sunday!

I'll take Germany by 2 goals.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:35 am

HornMafia wrote:Penalty kicks = lame

I have to disagree here. I think they are awesome. There is something about the pressure and the finality of it all I enjoy. Much better than NFL where you go 30 yrds and kick a field goal to win. I think CFB's overtime setup is the only thing that rivals it.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 pm

I watched most of that 7-0 MAN U beat down of the Galaxy last night.

Good lord.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

It ended up at 7? I started at 3 and quit at 5.

Was working last night and spaced on the friendlies.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Previous

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk