2014 World Cup

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: 2014 World Cup

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 am

utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:48 am

I ordered a US kit this week. Who Are ya Designs had a cool "#ibelieve" red tee, but I figure the actual jersey has more staying power, since we could potentially have just one more game in this competition (though believing for more). The "I believe" chant is really fucking cool, too, I think.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 am

Jessica bought me the red/gray training/pregame jersey for Fathers Day... good stuff
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:19 pm

A jersey isn't really a kit, but it's cool to say I guess
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:07 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:If you don't care, why not be seated in the "scroll past the World Cup thread" section?

SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:17 pm

And who gives a shit about your opinion?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:05 pm

HornMafia wrote:And who gives a shit about your opinion?

post of the year candidate
eochs

Postby MBK271 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Great fucking tournament.

I mean - as exciting as the group stages were after only a few days of action in the round of 16, it has been taken to another level. This is quite the event.

Lots of games being decided extremely late in the match. I can't wait until Tuesday for the Belgium game.

As an aside - Rio was in my top 10 of places that I'd like to visit but after this week it has moved into the top 5.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah, Rio doesn't suck.

"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:53 pm

I am going to the UT Club to watch tomorrow's game if anyone is looking for a spot.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby eochs on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:18 am

I'm seriously as excited as a texas OU Gameday right now. Bring on Belgium!
eochs

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Probably would have gotten killed by Argentina, but that sucks.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Disagree, but it would've been similar today and I'm not sure my heart can take it.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Hard to say. Argentina is probably a little better than Portugal, and I think Messi is better than Ronaldo, but I think our defense plays well and Tim Howard may not be the best keeper in the world but he's damn sure close. Would have loved the opportunity.

man, I really liked this team. Jermaine Jones is a fucking stud, and I love our Texas boy, Clint Dempsey. Gonzalez had a great game, and I am excited about Julian Green's future (LOVE our Germans). Bradley had ups and downs but I think he was mostly good today.

I'm torn because I want MLS to continue to do well, but I feel like we'll be better as a national team if more of our top guys play overseas. The NYFC expansion team should help introduce more young talent into the league as Man City will want to use it to showcase some guys that aren't yet good enough for EPL, so that could be good domestically without hindering development from our future World Cup PTPers.

Was a great few weeks. Glad some of you that don't normally follow the sport enjoyed the run. Would love to have yall continue to engage and enjoy what I have come to feel is a great game.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Rank the teams left in order of how much/little you want them to win.

1. Costa Rica - CONCACAF stablemates.

Tied for 2. Netherlands - Meh.

Tied for 2. Argentina - I am indifferent to Argentina as well.

4. Brazil - Not a big fan of Brazil. When I worked at Disney World I learned that Brazil sent giant tour groups up to Disney World all the time. They would all wear the same tour group tshirt the entire trip so they smelled bad. They also did not know how to wait in a line or do anything in anything resembling an orderly fashion. When one of their groups rolled through Pecos Bills Tall Tale Inn and Cafe in Frontierland, it was always a good solid 30 minute clusterfuck of stinky people waving receipts and yelling "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE". However, this was back in 1998, which was the year France beat Brazil in the World Cup final. At least a few times a month, there would be a not insignificant vandalism incident at the France pavilion in the country part of EPCOT perpetrated by a Brazillian tour group in retaliation. You have to respect that a little bit.

5. Columbia - Very sketchy country.

6. Belgium - They beat us.

7. Germany - They beat us. Still bitter about Bayern Munich pissing away the Champions League Final to Chelsea and keeping Tottenham out of the CL the next year.

8. French - Anybody but the goddamn French except for maybe the Mexicans, but El Tri is already out so fuck them in their stupid asses.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:20 pm

Costa Rica
Netherlands
Argentina (LOVE Messi)
Germany/Belgium - beat us, but Deutschland ist meine Vaterland, und Belgium has guten bier gemachen!
Colombia
Brazil
France
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Today would have taken a lot out of them physically and emotionally. Would have been hard to come back 4 days later against a better team and perhaps the best player in the world and replicate that.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:37 pm

As for continuing to watch, we'll see. Definitely need a rooting interest.

I'll definitely watch the rest of the WC, I'm talking about the league play.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Oh, you're right, I was just trying to muster up some patriotic optimism.

Watch Messi play a few times and you'll really appreciate how beautiful the game can be. He's not the puss that Ronaldo is, and the things he does are simply amazing. He'll run a full sprint and manage to maintain possession through multiple defenders and fire off a strike that the average player would be lucky to do when set up with a perfect pass in open space.

I think it was the second la Liga version of El Clasico (Barcelona v. Real Madrid) where Barcelona won 4-3 in a game that basically embodied every thing soccer haters say they wish the game included (lots of scoring, lots of action, momentum swings, and some attitude, outside of flops).messi played out of his mind. He also was far and away the best player on the field in boith legs of Barca-City in the Round of 16 of this past season's Champions League.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 pm

League play is different. But I think it's usually more exciting, as the margin for error is less so teams don't play as cautious as they do in the shorter tourney.

Come watch a game at a soccer bar one weekend. That is a lot of fun.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 pm

with anyone else besides Howard at keeper this game is 4-0 and suddenly no one cares about soccer anymore.

The US was horrible at keeping possession and winning long balls. It was def a fun game to watch though.

I had a golf lesson at Cinco Ranch today. I met my neighbor at the 19th hole to watch the game. My pro was in there as well. Lesson was supposed to start right around the end of regulation. He just looked at me and shook his head, told me to reschedule.lol.
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 am

beam,coke,&horns wrote:with anyone else besides Howard at keeper this game is 4-0 and suddenly no one cares about soccer anymore.

Brad Guzan is pretty good. The only position the United States turns out world class players is at goalie.

As for who I'm rooting for Columbia is #1 everyone else is playing for second.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:16 am

Pretty good take. Agree on most points, especially #1.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11166044&categoryid=2378529
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 pm

I've heard that watching the top teams in league play overseas gives a true depiction of how good the sport can be, and that those contests are played at a higher level than world cup, because the players on those top teams have practiced/played together for a good 9 months or so out of the year, as opposed to national teams that have limited practices and goodwill games before international competition. I may try to tune in some early Saturday mornings and give it a shot. Not sure if it will last, but this WC and USA's effort has certainly sparked some interest.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah, with worldwide TV money skyrocketing and more and more money being spent on rosters (and the points you mentioned above) club teams are going to be way more refined than national teams. If your schedule allows for it, I think the Champions League is a phenomenal way to get into soccer. It gives you a chance to sample a bunch of teams from different leagues and they are usually the elite teams in the world. If you're going to delve feet first into soccer fandom then it probably has to be the Premier League. None of the other leagues are featured nearly as much. BeIN will carry some Spanish league games (mostly Barcelona and Real Madrid), but the German, French and Italian leagues aren't on TV as regularly.

I'm probably going to casually follow Everton this year. Tim Howard is a beast and Roberto Martinez (Everton's manager) is one of our world cup analysts and a really good dude.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

PreviousNext

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk