2014 World Cup

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

2014 World Cup

Postby MBK271 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Not sure if any of you just watched the Netherlands and Spain get after it but the Dutch put a royal ass whipping on the defending champions. Utterly embarrassing. 5-1

Van Persie had one of the prettiest headers that I've ever seen for a goal. Fucking awesome.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Re: 2014 World Cup

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah. That header was sweet.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:12 am

Kevin and I watched the Socceroos put a charge into the Chileans, but Chile were just too strong.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Since when does everyone watch soccer. People at restaurants, at work ... What's the deal, this is weird.

I'm missing something.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:35 pm

I was sweating profusely waiting for the shuttle to take me back to my hotel just now. Winter in Rio my ass.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm

"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Ranking all 32 teams after their first group stage games (which means Mexico and Brazil's game doesn't factor in, and talent level accounts for something)

1. Germany
2. Netherlands
3. Colombia
4. France
5. Chile
6. Brazil
7. Italy
8. Mexico
9. Argentina
10. Switzerland
11. Belgium
12. Costa Rica
13. Ivory Coast
14. USA
15. Ghana
16. England
17. Croatia
18. Bosnia & Herzegovina
19. Ecuador
20. Japan
21. Algeria
22. South Korea
23. Russia
24. Cameroon
25. Australia
26. Uruguay
27. Spain
28. Greece
29. Portugal
30. Honduras

Iran
Nigeria
(not justifying either teams' existence after yesterday's "match")
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 am

Really interested to see how this Spain-Chile game plays out. Spain really need to win.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 am

I think Chile is in for a rude awakening, but I've been wrong about most everything else in this tournament except the US winning so far.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Like I said, I've been wrong about most everything.

I would have liked to see Spain go down valiantly in the knockout stage rather than like a bug on a winshield, but that was no fluke again today. Chile is good. There have been a shit ton of Chileans in Rio for the tournament (Today's game was here, but they've been here throughout). A Brazil-Chile round of 16 game would shut this city down.

Also regret ranking Australia behind Cameroon. Australia is like a crappier USA. Less talent, same heart and never-say-die attitude.

edit: I also regret not ranking Cameroon last. Woof.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Why are seemingly the best matches at 2 PM (except the US)?

The Nazis at worked have blocked ESPN3 and Univision.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:40 pm

I suppose so that the Euros aren't having to watch their teams start at midnight. But it sucks for us.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:57 pm

I agree that the Germans and Dutch look fantastic...

However, ranking Mexico in front of the US? Did you miss the part where we kicked their ass and they had to pull a miracle out of their hat to make the tournament?

Screw that team.

By the way, if we had Landon... we wouldn't be missing Jozy as much as we are. I'm just sayin.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:23 pm

It has nothing to do with what happened in 2013. In 2013 we were far superior to Mexico. They finally found the right coach (after three failures) and Herrera has turned that team around. It's hard to believe this same group that was two bullshit referee calls away from a 3-0 win over Cameroon and tied Brazil is the same one that shouldn't have even qualified. The US looked great for 30 seconds, got outplayed for the next 86 minutes and pulled the (what is becoming eerily common) USMNT World Cup win out of their asses. You're going to argue that any team that won their opening game played worse than the US did? I LOVE this fucking team, but I can be objective about them.

Landon Even at his best, which he was far from entering his camp, Landon's strengths are nothing like Jozy's. Unless Landon were a target forward he can't solve the problem they have up front because Dempsey is your only midfielder who can play upfront but that's taking him away from his best position. I'm a big fan of Johansson's potential, but feel like his change of pace late in games was his biggest asset. I'm not sure he's ready to be the guy for a national team yet, but his potential laps Wondo by a big margin.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 am

HornMafia wrote:Why are seemingly the best matches at 2 PM (except the US)?

The Nazis at worked have blocked ESPN3 and Univision.

If you have LTE, stream on your phone with the watchespn or univision app?
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby eochs on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:41 am

With Pepe out on Sunday, losing Jozy is huge for us... Not sayin' he'll put the ball in the back of the net, but his size would be a nuisance and open up Clint to be creative in the back 4...
eochs

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Klinsmann is in a tough spot. Regardless of circumstance, the US is most dangerous when Fabian Johnson is making impactful runs from the back. Not only is Pepe out, but so is Fabio Coentrao meaning the entire left side of the Portuguese defense is out opening up opportunities for Fabian to make runs and make things happen. That said, it's hard to imagine the US backs bombing forward with CR7 and Nani on the wings.

Hopefully Ronaldo's leg falls off before Sunday.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:13 am

I have no idea what anyone on this thread is saying. It may as well be written in Mandarin Chinese. I guess I'm the only uncool person who doesn't give a flying fart about soccer.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby LMQueen on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:21 am

I find it fun to route for USMNT, but I have no idea who anyone is or what they are doing. :)
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:09 am

Oh, everybody! Look at me! Look at me! I'm so indie. I don't care about soccer. Look at me!
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:28 pm

CONCACAF out here dominating people. Holy shit, Costa Rica.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Well that was a punch to the gut. Funny how pregame I would have killed for a point in Manaus, and now it's such a bummer. Oh well, time for the USA to get revenge for my people against the Krauts!
eochs

Postby HornMafia on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:13 pm

Green good, red bad.

“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm

That was a kick in the nuts, but If you had told me the US would walk away with a point after the first 5 minutes I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 am

12ozLongneck wrote:Oh, everybody! Look at me! Look at me! I'm so indie. I don't care about soccer. Look at me!

Pretty sure it's the other way around. People that have no idea what a premier league is are suddenly the Elias Sports Bureau of information that ESPN has fed them about soccer. I was around during the 1970's and 1990's version of "America will now become a country that loves soccer" so pardon me if i skip the 2010's version.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Next

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk