2014 Astros Thread

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

2014 Astros Thread

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu May 29, 2014 9:33 am

Break up the Astros!

Springer for MVP! Keuchel for Cy Young!
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: 2014 Astros Thread

Postby Bucharest on Thu May 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Guy is going to be a complete stud........if he already isn't. It could just be a "hot streak"......or maybe it just took him a month to "settle in" to MLB pitching, but he's looking REAL comfy at the plate already.

Now if they can just go out and throw $200M at Giancarlo Stanton in the off-season, then they'll be well on their way up while the Rangers are on their way.......................well, let's keep this an Astros thread. :-"

JUST KIDDING EVERYONE, but Springer does look great, and they properly f'ed him over to the point where he won't be a free agent until he's 30....WELL DONE LUHNOW!!!! :D

On that note, not sure what they're waiting for with Singleton, unless of course he's going to f him over and not get him a season of service time, but there's no way he doesn't get called up at all this year, so not really sure what they're waiting for?
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu May 29, 2014 3:00 pm

The company line is that he hasn't consistently performed at the AAA level. I think his being a knucklehead and getting suspended last year did him in. He'll be up soon enough.

Would like to see Appel at least get to AAA this season.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri May 30, 2014 12:32 pm

So, seriously... Springer for MVP!!!
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri May 30, 2014 12:33 pm

So, seriously... Springer for MVP!!!
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri May 30, 2014 2:57 pm

Brilliant move by the Astros to draft a player from UCONN because we were in a meeting the other night and with a full slate of MLB games the producer of the 11pm Sportscenter said that the Astros were one of the three games that was on their radar that night because of Springer. I'm so cynical working here I'm fully convinced we wouldn't care about a rookie tearing it up on a last place team unless he went to UCONN.

(Clarification: We damn sure should be paying attention and giving it coverage, I'm saying I'm fairly convinced it's only happened because he went to UCONN)
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby mucho hornfan on Fri May 30, 2014 4:23 pm

So it looks like the Stros have only two positions covered for the foreseeable future.
Altuve and Springer.
Looks like Castro , Villar, and Dominquez may not be the guys we were hoping for.

Sooo.. looking down the road 2 yrs.
1B- Singleton (crossing my fingers and toes)
2B Altuve
SS Correa or Gonzalez
3B- who knows -Ruiz?
LF- D. Fowler/Deshields /Hernandez
CF-Deshields or Springer
RF- D. Santana/Springer/Tucker?
C- Stassi

Starters/relief-
Cosart
Keuchel
Appel
Mchugh
Peacock
Wojciechowski
Oberholtzer
Foltynewicz
Closer- who knows

The strength is a bunch of quality arms in the minors. Likely future position weaknesses are: C/3B/corner OF/ Clloser
Some of these prospects other than Springer have got to start stepping up.
If 3 of the group of Singleton/Correa/Santana/Stassi/Tucker/Deshields end up being above average, then they could fill the 3 glaring holes via trade or FA for a Closer , 3B, and corner OF- if Crane opens the wallet. He should have some money to spend as he'll have lots of young low cost pitching, where many teams end up spending a fortune on FA.
Lots of ifs, but I see some potential for them to contend for the playoffs by 2016.
mucho hornfan
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 pm

I think Castro and Matty D have floors as average MLB players, with above average potential. Not sold on Villar. My guess is McCullers is a future closer candidate. 3B is an organizational weakness, but one that can probably be addressed via FA.

Singleton should be up by end of Summer. Santana is a likely call up early next season, and Correa may not make it until 2016. Would love to see Folty debut by EOY, too. Not sure if Appel's lingering appendicitis issues push his debut to next year. And then there is Rodon (assuming). I think he gets three 3-inning starts at Greenville and they shut him down until February.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:55 am

And on that note, the Astros call up Singleton.......with a 5 year-$10 mil contract that could max out at 8 years-$35 mil, so he won't be a free agent until he's 30, which means he and Springer are locked up through 2019 for next to nothing....pretty awesome Luhnow, well done.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 am

Nice start.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:47 am

Outstanding to see... and Correa is tearing it up at High A. He should be in Corpus soon enough, I would think. Possible OD SS? He's still really young.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 am

Jon Singleton can mash the fucking ball, btw.

And apparently so can Chris Carter when he makes contact (he of the .199 average and team-leading 69 Ks). Though Carter does have a decent .756 OPS, and his BAbip is only .226 so you figure once that reverts to the mean, then he is... well, an American League DH.

31-37 with 7 of their next 9 against the Rays. I don't want to get greedy after a little smattering of success the past 5-6 weeks, but...I would really like to see them take care of business in this next 9 before reality returns with series against Detroit, Atlanta, Seattle and LAA.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:33 am

He also did a good job directing Boyz n the Hood.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:27 am

ba-dum CHING.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

Astros need to win 4 games out of the 23 left for the people that bought furniture from Gallery back before the season started to win and get it free. Wonder if the firing is going to screw that up? My neighbor has been counting down the days. He bought 9k in furniture for this promo...
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

Wulaw Horn (Gabe) from LFZ, who comes sometimes with Ben, did the same.

Porter getting the axe won't affect it at all. They'll probably finish somewhere around 65-67 wins.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Did you see some College Station furniture store did this for the A&M SC game too? A&M had to win by 10.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk