2013-14 Texas Basketball thread: Historic Ineptitude Edition

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Re: 2013-14 Texas Basketball thread: Historic Ineptitude Edi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Not much they could do when the game plan was to go to Ridley who couldn't hold onto the ball and got gassed pretty quickly every time he was in the game. Ridley and Holmes combined for 39 in the first game and 18 last night. When the game plan is to exploit the size mismatch you have in your favor and the big guys can't do it you're kind of screwed.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:19 pm

It looked to me like ISU was doing all they could to take away the inside game and force Texas to make shots from outside, which is not this team's strong suit. The 3-pt shooting in the first half (I wasn't able to watch the second half) was pretty awful. That makes it a lot harder on the inside game, which wasn't on its A-game either last night.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 am

It's unfortunate that this team is playing like we expected them to heading into March tournament play.

They showed so much potential during the year. It's disappointing.

I really love the size of the team but the limiting factors are pretty tough to overcome: turn the ball over too much and have difficulty getting the offense going / feeding it to the post
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 am

How is it disappointing if they are playing like we expected them to play? Aren't they just reverting to the mean?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah. Even taking the last couple weeks into account, this team has still vastly outperformed everybody's expectations. Did you think Texas would be a lock for the NCAA tournament going into the Big XII tourney?
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 am

HornMafia wrote:How is it disappointing if they are playing like we expected them to play? Aren't they just reverting to the mean?

Disappointing because you've seen the size of the variance from the mean.

You've seen what they could be vs. a standardly poor playing team.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 pm

The only game that could be considered regressing to the mean was the Tech game. Their three previous losses were on the road against the three best teams in the conference. This team is drastically flawed, it's been evident most of the season and they've done amazingly well all things considered. Sure, the fact that 20 wins is overachieving and the fact that they are so flawed are Barnes' fault, this season has been a success as an individual piece. Just gotta hope they get a favorable draw in the tournament.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm

I did not go into this season thinking this team had any reasonable shot at making the NCAA tourney. They surprised some conference teams early on, and some of those adjusted the second go-round to exploit their weaknesses. Still, these guys play hard, play together, and show some real flashes of what the talent level can do and be. On any given night they can knock off a ranked competitor (or lose to an unranked one).

It's frustrating that they are stumbling this point in the season with the tournaments around the corner, but overall I've enjoyed more than I've been frustrated with (and certainly more than I expected going into the season). I'd love to see what this group of players can accomplish growing/playing together for multiple seasons.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Nevermind. Fire his ass right now.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 am

Beibs has 80 grade eyebrows.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Great win tonight. I'd be very thrilled with a 3rd win this season over Baylor tomorrow night. Scott Drew is a wiener.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:36 am

Great game last night! Got off to a really fast start and didn't let up.

Glad to see things may be swinging the right direction at the right time.

Baylor is a tough team who has turned it around late. Would be thrilled with the W.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:Great win tonight. I'd be very thrilled with a 3rd win this season over Baylor tomorrow night.

Or we could roll over and take it dry like a typical Barnes team in the Big 12 Tournament. :(
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Whoa.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Cam Ridley is proof that chubby people rule.

Tried to trick it away and we won. That's all that matters. Michigan is an interesting matchup because they have big guards, but no front court size. If Holmes and Ridley play big and we can keep Michigan from getting open threes we've got a shot, though I'm not counting on it.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Any win in the tourney is a nice one.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am

Was awesome.

I was getting pissed that we let them back in it late.

We are up by 12 and then next thing you know the lead is 2. The way the momentum was going, I was starting to believe that we'd lost it.

Michigan will be a tough one. I don't see us getting passed the blue.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 pm

For those of you who didn't start following Texas basketball until they started beating everybody, Texas beat Mercer to open the season.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:Things get going tonight at 7pm against Mercer. I never thought tiny little Mercer University in Macon, Ga would provide a good measuring stick for the talent level at Texas, but they have 4 starters and 11 letter winners back from a team that won 24 games last year and lost the A-Sun title game to Dunk City, Florida. Very good chance we'll know how not good this Texas team is tonight.

I wasn't kidding about Mercer...
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:For those of you who didn't start following Texas basketball until they started playing games on channels other than LHN, Texas beat Mercer to open the season.

Fixed
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Previous

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk