Anyone going to the NASCAR race tomorrow night?

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Fun sponge, chuckester, and I are going tomorrow to Ft Worth for the race.

I've never been to one before. I never watch it on TV. I'm not interested. It's looks boring IMO. I figure "live" it will be fun. Can't wait to people watch the white trash.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Take earplugs.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Anyone going to the NASCAR race tomorrow night?

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I bought some noise cancelling head phones tonight. Fun sponge said there were numerous little kids running around the stands without ear protection. Not really a surprise, but I feel sorry for them.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 am

Take a book (or something to do while in a car). I haven't been to the Nascar race (I heard it is the same), but for the Indy race the traffic was a beast. You'll want something to do in a car for a couple of hours....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

SmoothLonghorn wrote:Take a book (or something to do while in a car).

Shit.. Take something to do while you're at the race.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 pm

:lol: Touche. Hope you have a good time, Peabody!....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:49 pm

We have 1 extra ticket if anyone is interested.
It's free. We had 1 guy back out last minute.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:43 pm

It was an experience. I'm glad I witnessed a NASCAR race in my lifetime. The roar of the engines and sound of the cars as they passed by was unnbelievably cool.

I had some noise canceling headphones. They worked great. I can't imagine be there without them. It was amazing to me to see quite a few people sitting in the stands near me without them. There was even small children running around without any hearing protection.

If I wanted to communicate with one of my buddies, I had to type on the notes application on my iPhone. The noise level was similar to that F5 tornado I was in a few years ago. It was deafening.

Texas Motor Speedway was white trash heaven. I've never seen so many ugly people in my life. I did not see one hot chick at all. I didn't even see one decent looking chick. I saw more hot chicks at the golf course we played this morning.

Overall experience, boring. The sound of the engines and cars was cool. Once in a while, I would take off my headphones for a lap or two to get the full effect.

I basically set there for almost 3 hours watching a race without really knowing what in the hell was happening as far as details or interesting stuff. You can basically watch the huge pillar that keeps track of 1st through 20 positions.

A couple of my buddies had scanner radios plugged into their headsets to listen to driver and pit crew chatter. They said they didn't talk much.

I thought about downloading an iPhone to listen to the race live. I'm glad I didn't. Good luck trying to get service with that many people in one place.

I'd imagine watching a race on TV, would be 1000X more exciting and entertaining because they would show and tell you what's going on. I've never watched a race on TV.

They had an announcer on a PA system announcing and giving play by play on the race, but you couldn't hear him unless they were in a caution for a restart. I didn't know what the point of his job was since you can't hear him.

You can't talk or carry on a conversation with anyone during the race, it's too loud.

If I ever go again, I will by some noise canceling headphones with a built in am/fm radio so I can tune into the live radio broadcast of the race.

It was windy as hell. I can't believed it never rained during the race.

This morning, we teed off at Indian creek golf course in Carollton at 7:15am. We got in 6 holes before it just down poured. Got a rain check and went home.

Redneck heaven.

That Cabelas in Ft worth was nice. I liked their gun library where the keep all the nice and expensive firearms.

That is all.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 am

Texas Motor Speedway was white trash heaven. I've never seen so many ugly people in my life

TMS wins on a technicality since it holds far more people that Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 am

I went a few years ago with my buddy who sold NASCAR all the oracle software they used. We stayed in an RV inside the track. IT was like mardi gras at night in there. During the race, we had hot passes so we alternated sitting on top of the RV watching the race and going inside the pit areas. Wass totally cool, but I don't think i would go back if i was sitting in the stands.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 am

I'm not sure what you were expecting since you probably know absolutely nothing about the sport and sat in the stands. In the pits the night before is where noobs should go. Also, did you walk around that morning to get a sense of all the exhibits? I'm sure your review of the Nascar race would've been the same if you went to the finest cricket match in the world.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby Mr. Peabody on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:55 pm

TTT

anyone going to this weekend's race (2013)?

I'm going Friday night to the Nationwide race and Saturday night to the Sprint Cup Race.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 pm

I think there's some other important sporting event for people that have all their teeth this weekend.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 pm

YEEEEEE-HAW....BRING YOUR GUNS AND CHAW....IT'S ON DAWG!!!!

No need for books, just bring a car charger and load up your iPad or iPhone with Season 1 of Duck Dynasty and you'll be fine.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Mr. Peabody wrote:Overall experience, boring. The sound of the engines and cars was cool. Once in a while, I would take off my headphones for a lap or two to get the full effect.

I basically set there for almost 3 hours watching a race without really knowing what in the hell was happening as far as details or interesting stuff. You can basically watch the huge pillar that keeps track of 1st through 20 positions.

Mr. Peabody wrote:anyone going to this weekend's race (2013)?

I'm going Friday night to the Nationwide race and Saturday night to the Sprint Cup Race.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah, I thought the same thing, but when you live in Oklahoma, well.........
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:21 am

Everyone in OK comes down here to have any real entertainment. I guess I could give OKC a nod on Thunder basketball. Not that it is better, just that they have it.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Anyone going to the NASCAR race this Saturday night? (2016 version) I'll be there hoping for a #48 win.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Weird necrobump?
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk