Jason Heyward

Please remember to follow the moderation guidelines...

Jason Heyward

Postby TheDean176 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:45 pm

is good.
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Re: Jason Heyward

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Gagree
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Bucharest on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:06 pm

[RotoDork]Drafted him with my $15 pick in the Ultra Rounds in my Roto League two years ago.....this year it finally starts paying off!!!![/RotoDork]
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 pm

I've tried the best I can to temper my enthusiasm about him, but yesterday Jim Leyland said the only other player with his size, strength and plate discipline at that age he's seen was Pujols and that pretty much ended my tempered enthusiasm for him. Anything less than 500 homers, 3,000 hits and 15 consecutive all star appearances all for the Braves will be a major failure. I'm think I'm kidding...
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby TheDean176 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 am

I too, have really tried to hold back my excitement for a couple of years now on Heyward, especially following the Failcouer Era, but I really feel this Heyward kid is going to be REALLY REALLY SPECIAL.

The Nats can have Strasburg and Bryce Harper...I'll go to battle with Tommy Hanson and Jason Heyward.

Side note...THANK GOD the Braves didn't include Hanson or Heyward in the Texiera deal.
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby TheDean176 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Look out baseball world, Jason Heyward will officially start the season with the Atlanta Braves.... =D> =D> =D>
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 pm

OH MY FUCKING GOD
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 pm

:shock: :lol: :shock:

Wow....makes me wish I was a Braves fan for the first time ever. That being said, I get to enjoy this too as I just extended him two years in my ROTO League, which was widely laughed at this morning throughout the league due to the fact that he's never had one Major League AB, and I now have to keep him at an inflated value for the next three seasons......who's laughing now?
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:19 am

Reminds me of all the hype that surrounded Andruw Jones coming up. Then Franceaur.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 am

BarryBnds wrote:Reminds me of all the hype that surrounded Andruw Jones coming up. Then Franceaur.

Boy that post was way off the mark, but then again considering who it's coming from that's not really a surprise.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:45 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:
BarryBnds wrote:Reminds me of all the hype that surrounded Andruw Jones coming up. Then Franceaur.

Boy that post was way off the mark, but then again considering who it's coming from that's not really a surprise.

Not sure why it was off the mark. Please explain why the hype around Heyward is different. I remember Jones getting compared to Mantle at 19. And Francouer being dubbed "The Natural".
Last edited by BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Nobody ever confused the potential those guys had with the potential Heyward has. Jones never came close at any age to having the maturity or plate discipline that Heyward has at the age of 20. Andruw was a freakish defensive player who at his peak was among the two or three best defensive Centerfielders of all time and had a ton of power at the plate. Heyward has more power probably at this age, more plate discipline, they have similar speed and Heyward isn't as good a defender, but he's plenty good. Heyward is a better prospect than Andruw was and Andruw never reached his potential because he had million dollar ability, but a ten cent head.

Francoeur was never that big of a prospect, compared to the other two. He was expected to be a very good player at this level, but the reason his lore took off was because A) he was a local legend who won multiple state titles in Georgia in Football and Baseball and B) Because he was much better faster than anyone ever thought he would be.

By all accounts Heyward is a special player not just because of his ability, but in the way he carries himself. His demeanor is a lot like Kevin Durant's I'd say. Both are quiet by nature, but incredibly motivated to be great and have tremendous confidence in their ability.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:56 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:Nobody ever confused the potential those guys had with the potential Heyward has. Jones never came close at any age to having the maturity or plate discipline that Heyward has at the age of 20. Andruw was a freakish defensive player who at his peak was among the two or three best defensive Centerfielders of all time and had a ton of power at the plate. Heyward has more power probably at this age, more plate discipline, they have similar speed and Heyward isn't as good a defender, but he's plenty good. Heyward is a better prospect than Andruw was and Andruw never reached his potential because he had million dollar ability, but a ten cent head.

Francoeur was never that big of a prospect, compared to the other two. He was expected to be a very good player at this level, but the reason his lore took off was because A) he was a local legend who won multiple state titles in Georgia in Football and Baseball and B) Because he was much better faster than anyone ever thought he would be.

By all accounts Heyward is a special player not just because of his ability, but in the way he carries himself. His demeanor is a lot like Kevin Durant's I'd say. Both are quiet by nature, but incredibly motivated to be great and have tremendous confidence in their ability.

In case you forgot the thoughts on both concerning the MFing HOF:

AtlLonghorn-"Possibly could get in- Andruw Jones. Widely regarded amongst baseball people as the best defensive outfielder in baseball, if he can get to 500 homeruns and 2500 hits which at his current average per season would take 7 seasons each (He's 29 so it's a possibility), I could see him getting serious consideration based alot on his defensive ability."

Dean176-"On his way: Jeff Francoeur. He will eventually become alot more complete hitter. Dale Murphy type. Offensive and defensive."

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9751&hilit=hof

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Well what fans think of players MUST make it true:roll:. And in 2006 my point about Andruw Jones was a completely valid one. He was coming off a season where he willed the Braves to the playoffs and hit 50 home runs. At that point in his career he was good for 35 homers and 100 RBI every year just about and was the elite defender of his generation at the position. What happened after that? Well, he slowed down defensively due to wear and tear and decided to stop listening to his coaches and do what he wanted at the plate and declined rapidly. Again, coachability and motivation don't seem to be in the picture at all for Heyward.

The whole point of this is that BASEBALL people think that he is a special player. More special than Jones or Francoeur ever would be.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm

I think if you asked any minor leaguer today that they could have Andruw Jones's career (and $102 million earned), they'd take it in a heartbeat.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:Well what fans think of players MUST make it true:roll:. And in 2006 my point about Andruw Jones was a completely valid one. He was coming off a season where he willed the Braves to the playoffs and hit 50 home runs. At that point in his career he was good for 35 homers and 100 RBI every year just about and was the elite defender of his generation at the position. What happened after that? Well, he slowed down defensively due to wear and tear and decided to stop listening to his coaches and do what he wanted at the plate and declined rapidly. Again, coachability and motivation don't seem to be in the picture at all for Heyward.

The whole point of this is that BASEBALL people think that he is a special player. More special than Jones or Francoeur ever would be.

Andruw Jones was the Player of the Year by Baseball America two years in a row. Not sure how you could be considered more special than that.

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 pm

HornMafia wrote:I think if you asked any minor leaguer today that they could have Andruw Jones's career (and $102 million earned), they'd take it in a heartbeat.

I wasn't saying that Jones wasn't a good player. I said the hype reminds me of the hype surrounding Jones' career in the beginning. Apparently I was "way of the mark".

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby Bucharest on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 pm

God I hate to agree with you on this....or at least in part, but Jones was every bit as hyped...Francouer not so much.

I could be wrong, but I believe Jones was Baseball America's "Top Prospect" for two years straight.....that being said, Matt's right....if Heyward has that type of career, then I think the Braves and Heyward will both be ecstatic. His career ended rather abruptly, but as a GM, you'll take 33 homers asnd 100 RBI all day. Heyward definitely has the potential to be better, but he also has the potential to not be better, we'll see.....but I agree, Jones was the next "pick your own random Hall of Famer" back in the late 90's before he hit the Majors.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:01 pm

This doesn't have much to do with the topic, but check out the Top Prospects going back to 1990:

1990: Steve Avery
1991: Todd Van Poppel
1992: Brien Taylor
1993: Chipper Jones
1994: Cliff Floyd
1995: Alex Rodriguez
1996: Andruw Jones
1997: Andruw Jones
1998: Ben Grieve
1999: JD Drew
2000: Rick Ankiel
2001: Josh Hamilton
2002: Josh Beckett
2003: Mark Teixeira
2004: Joe Mauer
2005: Joe Mauer
2006: Delmon Young
2007: Daisuke Matsuzaka
2008: Jay Bruce
2009: Matt Wieters
2010: Jason Heyward

Too early to say on the younger guys, obviously, but who among that group will be in the HOF? Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, maybe Teixeira, maybe Mauer? Wow.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:00 pm

I HAVE WOOD.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby TheDean176 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 am

I'm finally making my first trip to see a Braves game in Atlanta in July. Got my tickets in the mail Friday. First series after Jason Heyward makes his first All-Star appearance. ;)
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby TheDean176 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:29 pm

So...that was a pretty good game.
TheDean176
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Since we are TTT'ing baseball stuff it's nice to know that Ike Davis should be a HOF'er for the Mets since he had about the same statline last year.

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Considering the Heyward is two years younger and played the second half last year with a thumb injury that made it difficult for him to grip a bat and his homer and RBI numbers were virtually identical with a higher obp and ops than Davis, I'll take Heyward.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 am

AtlLonghorn wrote:Considering the Heyward is two years younger and played the second half last year with a thumb injury that made it difficult for him to grip a bat and his homer and RBI numbers were virtually identical with a higher obp and ops than Davis, I'll take Heyward.

Just pointing out how ordinary Heyward is. From being touted as a Pujols type player with Special Special ability to now be evenly compared to Ike Davis.

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Next

Return to LFZ Memorial Sports Talk