Golf talk

For people who are not cool enough to be HornMafia, so they try to act like him instead.

Golf talk

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:11 pm

Didn't know where else to start such a thread but the spring is here and hack season in full effect.

Played this AM and finally finally finally broke 80. I've been stuck in the low 80s for some time and have hit 80 on the dot about 7 times. Today I go to 18 needing par for a 79. I have a 30-40 foot putt for birdie and all I'm thinking is just lag it up there and let's get the hell out of here. Well I ran it about 6 feet past. So now I'm standing over a 6 footer with my knees knocking and all I can think is mother F'er it's about to happen again. Thank god I hit it pure center of the jar, 79!!!!
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Re: Golf talk

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Last week I had a great round going through 8 hole. +1 going to the 9 tee box when it happened. We got stuck behind 4 old fucks playing slow as shot. No etiquette to let us through either! Nobody within 3 holes in front of them. Well I just keep getting more and more pissed and totally letting their slow play mind fuck me. I shoot +14 over the next 10 holes. Moral of the story.....fuck those old guys!
txlonghorn47

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm about ready to get out to the driving range and see how my back feels. I can't even imagine what a trainwreck my short game will be the first time I get back out on a course.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:31 pm

I haven't even been to Top Golf since July. I'm probably starting from ground zero.
Time to take the family out to the range and get Jackson swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby MBK271 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:14 pm

txlonghorn47 wrote:Didn't know where else to start such a thread but the spring is here and hack season in full effect.

Played this AM and finally finally finally broke 80. I've been stuck in the low 80s for some time and have hit 80 on the dot about 7 times. Today I go to 18 needing par for a 79. I have a 30-40 foot putt for birdie and all I'm thinking is just lag it up there and let's get the hell out of here. Well I ran it about 6 feet past. So now I'm standing over a 6 footer with my knees knocking and all I can think is mother F'er it's about to happen again. Thank god I hit it pure center of the jar, 79!!!!

=D> =D> =D>

Way to knock down the putt! I would've missed it.

That's why I never look at my score until the 9 is over. I like to understand where I am standing on 10 but then I try to forget it and just play golf.

No double bogies (or worse). Just do that and you will come up with a good score. Forget where you are relative to par.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Yeah I usually mind f myself by knowing what I'm shooting so I agree. I only had one double in that round, hit it in the water off the tee then missed the green on my third shot.
txlonghorn47

Postby Makaveli on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:04 pm

The psychological comfort zone is a huge barrier to lower scores.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:20 am

84 yesterday. Absolutely couldn't get off the tee. Even when I'd try to play it smart and hit 3 wood or 4 iron I would pull them off the tee. Played pretty good into greens and putting to still pull of 84 with those wayward tee shots. Came really close to an ace. 134 yard par 3. Hit a high draw gap wedge in and spun it to two inches. Thought I finally had one, but another near miss. :(
txlonghorn47

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:10 am

I've completely fucked off on golf this year. Last night was the first time I've even picked up a club since early May. Between selling my house, buying a new one, some personal stuff going on, and it now being so hot I just haven't even thought about playing. Kinda depressing now that I think about it. Especially after finally breaking 80, you'd think that would have kept me motivated.
txlonghorn47

Postby Mr. Peabody on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

I started playing again this year when we went to Maui in May. I've played all summer, but not really practiced. I need to just hit balls and practice.

Past history is that I use to play 3-4 times a week until my son started playing sports in school and little league stuff. Then I quit for about 8 years. I made a comeback about 3 years ago and then quit again. I'm back now.

Short game is really good. Irons are not consistent enough, but I do hit some beautiful shots in between the bad hits. Struggling with the driver. My weakness is a snap hook with the driver. I can hit some great drives, but the snap hook lurks and haunts me.

Going back to Maui Friday and playing at least 3 courses.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Have decided to pick it back up this year after f'ing off bad last year. Played 4 rounds so far and it's been completely all over the road. 94, 100, 88, 90.

The 90 on Saturday was particularly frustrating. Kept my stats and listen to this. Average off the tee 296.33. Hit 9 of 14 fairways. 33 putts for a 1.8333 putt per green average. But here is where I got murdered, hit only 5 of 18 greens in regulation. I just can't hit my irons at all right now. Either pulling them and missing to the left or hitting them thin. Need to get on the range and just hit 7-GW a ton.
txlonghorn47

Postby Makaveli on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:48 pm

296.33 is Long. You really hit it that far ?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:39 pm

I only kept the average with the driver. Didn't factor in times that I hit 3 wood or 4 iron off the tee. But with the driver yes I can hit it that far, if I'm on that day, and Saturday I was on. I usually hit a pretty long medium trajectory cut/fade. My long on Saturday was 323, however we did have a tailwind on that hole.
txlonghorn47

Postby Makaveli on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:12 pm

That's even longer if you're turning it to right.

Do you know what the clubhead speed is, and/or how far you're hitting it in the air ?

How old are you ?

....how much you bench?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Makaveli wrote:
How old are you ?

....how much you bench?

Meh, I can hit it 300 and I'm a weak, 165 pound 44 year old
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Haven't measured my speed in quite a long time and can't remember what it was then. Also il
Not exactly sure what my carry is either. I feel like I get a decent amount of roll with my lower trajectory and the side spin when it hits.

I'm 33. Haven't maxed out on bench since probably HS. But I'm 6'1" and fluctuate somewhere between 210 and 220 for the most part these days.
txlonghorn47

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:27 pm

Anyone have recommendations for an instructor in Austin? I've had it with the guy I've been going to being a total fucking flake and not returning emails and phone calls.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:44 pm

I haven't played in more than a year. Going to try to remedy that soon.

There was talk the other day of an outing April 15. Any interest here in that?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:48 pm

I will be out of town but am off all week the next week.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:59 pm

The "bench" comment was a joke.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:24 pm

"Do you even lift, bro?" is the preferred nomenclature.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:59 pm

HornMafia wrote:I haven't played in more than a year. Going to try to remedy that soon.

There was talk the other day of an outing April 15. Any interest here in that?

I am probably down for that.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am

I haven't played in almost 2 years now :oops:
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm

You know, I've probably averaged 5-7 rounds per year the past 5 years (strong correlation with getting married)... I"m smashing the ball lately.

I hit it further and straighter than I ever have. The funny thing is, when I was playing in a lot 10 years ago, I couldn't get off the tee but my scrambling and short game was strong. Now, I can get off the tee but my touch is atrocious.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon May 15, 2017 2:00 pm

So last year I tired to really get back on the golf kick.

Bought a whole new bag last summer. Love everything but the driver. Can't hit the thing for shit and I paid out the ass for it and the shaft in it. Absolutely pounding 3 wood right now though so I'm not that upset other than the price tag of what I paid for that driver.

I was fighting a major league slice towards the end of last year and early this year. Took some lessons and we made some pretty big changes to my plane. As a result I had taken some major steps back to shooting low to mid 90s. Finally starting to fire some 80s again now. Struck the ball awesome on Saturday but had 4 doubles on the card for an 87. Long irons and putting did me in on the doubles.

Joined Mira Vista here in FW a few weeks back and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Played Saturday and it was packed for Mira Vista standards, still played in 3:20....GLORIOUS!
txlonghorn47

Next

Return to Random Thoughts