Have to be honest...

For people who are not cool enough to be HornMafia, so they try to act like him instead.

Re: Have to be honest...

Postby Makaveli on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:28 am

I was talking about the 1991 album he sold a shitload of. "Nevermind"

It was completely out of the Billboard top 200 list by 1993 but then re-entered after his suicide and remains there today 23 years later.

The overwhelming vast majority of their album sales occurred AFTER his death.

My prior statements on this matter are accurate by definition.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 am

He was famous as fuck before he killed himself.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 am

Makaveli wrote:
The overwhelming vast majority of their album sales occurred AFTER his death.

Well no shit they were a band for like 4 years and it's been 23 more years since his death
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 am

I think the Cobain killed himself and now Nirvana is ever popular theory says that he did it at the height of their popularity, before they started getting experimental, album sales dropped and they ended up playing the Tip Top Lounge in Ames, IA on a Friday night.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Mass shootings don't move the needle for me at all nowadays.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:Mass shootings don't move the needle for me at all nowadays.

Followed by three days of the inevitable “I care more than you” and the “thoughts and prayers vs No Guns = No Crime Ever Utopia” debates.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm

IMO the "Is it time to finally have a conversation?" crowd doesn't really want to have a conversation. They want to ban all guns because they think (a) it's possible in a country of 300M+, and (b) that is going to magically stop mass shootings. The other side just responds with asinine strawman arguments for why guns aren't the problem.

Then talking heads get on TV and offer meaningless platitudes, people change their social media profiles to a temporary image and use "hashtag strong" in solidarity for a few days, and we all go back to living our lives until the next one happens.

I'm not too far off from Kevin on this and I feel bad that I have become so cynical, but I might not be if I thought that people in position to effect change were interested in effecting change. It's all soundbites and posturing for the next election. Leaders don't want to have meaningful conversations, they want to stir up FUD and prey on the populace's emotions so that they can win.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Having two kids in middle school helps to move the needle. Especially seeing the videos from inside the classrooms holy shit y’all.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 am

U2-Horn wrote:Having two kids in middle school helps to move the needle. Especially seeing the videos from inside the classrooms holy shit y’all.

I hear ya. Jackson was just 5 months old when Sandy Hook happened and that shook me to my core. I can’t imagine the pain of losing a child at this age, especially in such a horrific way. It would destroy me.

Now that he is in Kindergarten, it is definitely on my radar for the next 12 years. The frequency of these events has increased so much since Columbine, what will it look like for him as he goes through elementary, middle and high school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 am

I'm not saying that it's not alarming, or even downright scary. I'm saying that no one in position to decrease gun deaths in this country is actively working toward a viable solution.

And FWIW... auto fatalities are 3X that of gun-related homicides (about 30K v. 10K in 2012, according to numbers I pulled from WIkipedia - includes all non-suicide deaths, not just mass shootings). So you're already much more likely to get plowed over in traffic than to have a disgruntled psychopath firing into a crowd. But half of my twitter TL isn't calling the CEO at Ford a piece of shit or telling anyone that's ever taken money from the auto lobby that blood is on their hands.

People want to yell over each other and get their soundbite on the CNN crawl, or get re-tweeted, not discuss issues or work toward solutions. They want to throw out "hot takes" and be "right." So we continue a vicious circle of death followed by "pray for the victims" followed by pointing fingers followed by apathy until the next one. So it goes.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am

Economically, it wouldn't be a big deal to have ONE full time armed security guard on a school campus.

Go look at a school with 1000 students and see how many people are running around with bullshit jobs. If one could be an armed security officer they would create a deterrent and likely have all sorts of other ancillary benefits. I can't even think of a more productive use of local taxpayer money. Why don't we do this ?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 am

Only problem I see is it would reduce school shootings and lead to fewer opportunities for politicians and others on TV to be outraged.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am

AISD has 130 schools. How feasible would that be?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 am

Apparently this school did have an armed guard. He didn’t do anything.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Have to be honest...

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

To me, I don’t see why AR-15s are legal. But yeah, if it isn’t that they will just move on to the next biggest and baddest.

The issue is that everyone knew this kid was capable of this but yet did nothing to stop it. The grandmother in Washington that read her grandson’s journal is a hero. More should be made of that story.

Ban every weapon you want to, but this is a lack of respect issue. And ironically all the people that shit all over people for “thoughts and prayers” are just perpetuating that issue. This dumb chasm we have in the country that got Trump elected.

Which goes to Drew’s point, it is just about using the latest event to score points and further your love of Rachel Maddow or Shawn Hannity.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 am

The AR-15 really isn’t all that different than any other deer rifle. I could bring you my 7 MM mag that is semi automitc that I hunt with and you’d think it just looked like a deer rifle. The AR gets the rap because it looks menacing. Any rifle could do the same damage if you buy a big enough magazine.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:59 am

HornMafia wrote:To me, I don’t see why AR-15s are legal. But yeah, if it isn’t that they will just move on to the next biggest and baddest.

The issue is that everyone knew this kid was capable of this but yet did nothing to stop it. The grandmother in Washington that read her grandson’s journal is a hero. More should be made of that story.

Ban every weapon you want to, but this is a lack of respect issue. And ironically all the people that shit all over people for “thoughts and prayers” are just perpetuating that issue. This dumb chasm we have in the country that got Trump elected.

Which goes to Drew’s point, it is just about using the latest event to score points and further your love of Rachel Maddow or Shawn Hannity.

Yeah, that gets me. He made Youtube videos saying he was going to kill people? I can't load a video onto Youtube without it getting flagged for illegal use of music I don't own but they don't have an algorithm to flag violent threats?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Shitting on the thoughts and prayers crowd is not the problem. Those people are just throwing something out there so everyone knows they feel bad so they can get likes and hearts and retweets and feel good about feeling bad.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Doesn't have anything to do with what type of gun is legal or illegal imo.

It was already illegal to carry that AR into the school and it was certainly already illegal to kill 17 people.

We can say it's about mental illness, and I get that argument, but there's gotta be 100+ suspicious as hell people for every one that snaps. Sure this one looks obvious in hindsight, but do we lock up all 100 beforehand ?

And I get annoyed by FBI saying you have to say something if you see something suspicious. Hey I've been there and done that, and that story is bullshit. In this case the dude was previously reported to the FBI because he literally said he was gonna be a school shooter. They can't do anything with that. Flagging a high risk person just marks yourself as a target. Stupid.

And even if you think there should be no guns, well that cat is out of the bag already and people willing to violate murder laws unlikely to follow new gun laws. It would likely be counterproductive and push everything underground and make it even harder to know who was buying what.

The only opportunity I see is hardening targets and allowing armed security onto the premises.

Bad things are still gonna happen, especially when the crazy people are often suicidal. You certainly can't stop them all. Our access to so much information so quickly will only make it seem worse.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Nobody needs to worry about anything ever being done with guns from a gun control standpoint. If somebody walking into an elementary school and blowing away a couple dozen six year olds doesn't do it nothing will.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:59 am

Somebody warn Del Friscos that they need to find new ways to cut steak....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/33-d ... ree-n41966
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby Bucharest on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Makaveli wrote:And even if you think there should be no guns, well that cat is out of the bag already and people willing to violate murder laws unlikely to follow new gun laws. It would likely be counterproductive and push everything underground and make it even harder to know who was buying what.

The only opportunity I see is hardening targets and allowing armed security onto the premises.

Bad things are still gonna happen, especially when the crazy people are often suicidal. You certainly can't stop them all. Our access to so much information so quickly will only make it seem worse.

With all due respect, because I know you're a super-smart dude, but that's the dumbest argument. It's been proven wrong.

See Australia.

Also, do you know why every slap dick, Tom and Harry don't carry guns in NYC.....HARSH GUN LAWS.

See Plaxico Burress.

I'm so tired of this argument, but I invite anyone to embarrass themselves and try and justify why any civilian should be able to own an AR-15.....or anything remotely similar....does it make AR-15 owners tiny little dick feel bigger....guess what, still got a small dick when you leave Wal-Mart with YO GUN!!! Hell, just go buy a Hummer or a red Corvette. BTW Mak, I'm not saying that you did that....different topic....sorry for the weak segue.

GUN-TOTING REDNECKS UNITE!!!

No offense.......but seriously....justify my crazy Uncle being able.to own an AR-15....he has five.....one for each cat?

Time to evolve.
Last edited by Bucharest on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I mean, just read this....trying to nitpick semantics....mouth breathing knuckle draggers....IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE POINT.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... r-2018-an/
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 am

Are you suggesting that the criminals would not have weapons if the guns were made illegal ? Surely not.

Tell me what you would do and what you expect would result from it.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Bucharest on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Well of course not.....and I'm not saying all guns should be banned, but there's no reason why assault weapons should be legal......none at all......and God forbid people have to go through a rigorous background check to own any guns. I understand that some people get their rocks off by firing assault weapons, but I think that's a small price to pay to get them out of the wrong peoples hands.
Bucharest
All American
All American

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts