Adult League Hockey

For people who are not cool enough to be HornMafia, so they try to act like him instead.

Adult League Hockey

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:56 am

Figured I'd start a thread to chronicle my adventures into this new activity. After having played softball, flag football, kickball, basketball, and just about every other adult sport you can think of I finally decided to take on hockey. I have wanted to play for years, but have never been able to get enough interest from everybody else. Well I don't know if it was the Olympics or the Stars return to the playoffs, but we finally had enough guys interested in giving it a go to have a team.

I played roller when I was a kid and used to ice skate quite regularly even in HS. But a couple weeks ago was the first time I'd been on the ice in years. Luckily it was kinda like riding a bike as it came back quickly. By the end of the first stick and puck I was very confident in my skating and going full speed up and down the ice. Still rusty on my stops as I'm having to round them off a little. My backwards skating sucks right now, but I'm working on it.

Had our first game this past Tuesday. Despite half our team having never played before we somehow managed a 3-1 victory. Mostly because our goalie is a total bad ass. He played in HS and on the club team in college. Only goal we gave up was a shorthanded rebound. The center on my line is Norris little brother who also is really good. Dude is super fast and can deke people out of their skates. Any time the puck came to me I was immediately looking to get it to Justin and as a result had an assist. It was literally the most fun I've ever had playing sports. I can't wait for this weeks game.

Couple pics that if you're on FB I'm sure you've already seen.......

"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Re: Adult League Hockey

Postby LMQueen on Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am

That's really cool. Definitely seems tougher than kickball or softball!
How much did all the equipment cost? It seems like a big investment.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby txlonghorn47 on Fri May 16, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah it's expensive to get started. I think I spent around $600 on equipment and that was buying about half of it on clearance because it was last years model. Flounder bought pretty top of the line stuff and spent close to $1000. The nice part though is if you'll take care of your stuff and air it out and spray it down with antibacterial odor guard it last quite a while. However no matter how much odor guard you use the stuff eventually starts to smell like the devils ass because of how much sweating you do. I weighed myself just to see how much water weight I'd shed during a game and I lost 4 pounds.
txlonghorn47

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri May 16, 2014 10:05 am

I've always wanted to play hockey, so I'm jealous! Unfortunately I could never skate so it was a moot issue. My brother played roller hockey back in HS and was pretty good, and watching those games was always a good time.

I'm eager to see the updates on this.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri May 16, 2014 10:38 am

Bad ass. Keep us updated.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 am

Getting your first name screen printed on the back of your jersey would be the coolest thing ever.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue May 20, 2014 11:46 pm

6-0 winner!

Had our first fight tonight. Nothing too aggressive but a couple pinches thrown. We got up quick 1-0 in the first. Then really poured it on in the second with two shorthanded goals. That team played for the championship last year and once they got down we really go in their heads. They took a ton of penalties late second and into the third. They ended up getting two guys tossed.

Once again awesome night. So damn fun to play this.
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am

Sweet!

How many penalty minutes have you actually accumulated to date?
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

I have yet to be banished to the sin bin sir. Chasing the beer league Lady Byng Trophy at this point. Haha.
txlonghorn47

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 am

How would you describe your style of play? I'd definitely want to be the Milan Lucic/Dino Ciccarelli type.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 am

I'd pay money to see Chay go full on Adam McQuaid.

SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby txlonghorn47 on Thu May 22, 2014 8:38 am

Well I'd like to think I'm the Bobby Hull of my office since I play LW, but that's far from the truth. Haha.

Imagine the worst LW you've ever seen play and that's about what I am. Haha. I'm probably the best skater of the LWers we have, but that's not saying a whole hell of a lot. I feel bad too because I play on a line with Norris and his little brother and both of then are great skaters and fast. So I'm constantly brining up the rear on any breakaway. To be fair both of those faggots weigh about 160-180 to my 220, but I still feel like I'm holding them up.
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:25 pm

[-X

It would take me about 8 minutes of ice time to take a penalty.

As soon as I got my feet under me, there would be some roughing or boarding call no doubt.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 pm

So we played the league champs and acknowledged best team in the league by all the regulars. Got down 1-0 on a penalty we couldn't kill off. Tied it up late in the second when one of our defenseman found an open lane and walked it all the way in for the goal. 3rd period we change lines and I catch them sleeping. Skated as hard as I could but ultimately wasn't as fast as their fastest skater he caught me right as I was shooting and stick checked me just enough to throw my shot wide. We go to Shootout. Scott misses wide right, Jimmy stones their guy, Mark barries one top shelf stick side, Jimmy forces a high shot that went over the goal, Justin misses high for us, Spartans send their best shooter out and Jimmy straight cold ass stoned him. Your Rebels beat the defending league champs and move to 3-0.

Bye week next week and then we get out first early game with an 8 start if anybody is in the area and wants to come out.
txlonghorn47

Postby txlonghorn47 on Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Oh and Seth I deskated a guy tonight right onto his ass just because you questioned me. Luckily I sold it enough as an accident to not get penalized.
txlonghorn47

Postby BarryBnds on Wed May 28, 2014 7:10 am

Don't get cocky. I hear Serge Ibaka might be back.

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 am

Not good quality as it was taken with an iPhone, but here is Marks game winner in the shootout last night.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid139.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq304%2Fchayjackson%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2FtrimEAF2A49F-CE21-404A-B2F6-ED6EBBDDD216_zpsf894f34b.mp4&title=">
txlonghorn47

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 am

Well hell. I don't know how to make that work. If somebody else does feel free to edit it.
txlonghorn47

Postby MBK271 on Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 am

txlonghorn47 wrote:Oh and Seth I deskated a guy tonight right onto his ass just because you questioned me. Luckily I sold it enough as an accident to not get penalized.

Atta boy!
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:40 am

So I kind of neglected keeping this updated. We finished up the regular season 8-4 and tied for first place. We ended up being the 2 seed because of goal differential. We won our first round game 4-1 and had a pretty heated little fight at the end of the game. On of our guys got on a breakaway for an empty netter and one of their guys caught up enough to him that he cross checked him in the back. Needless to say our guy got up pissed and it went to hell in a hand basket from there.

Championship game last night was a blast!! Got up 2-0 and held that lead going to the 3rd. We've got the best goalie in the league so I was feeling pretty confidant. Well the other team is pretty damn good. Honestly they're probably better than us but we have Jimmy in goal. Well they tied it up 2-2 with about 3 minutes left. The game goes to OT. 5 minutes nobody scores. It's Shootout time for the championship. We missed our first two and they missed all 3. So there's Scott with a chance to win it all. Skates in deked the goalie goes top shelf right corner. WINNER! We all come flying over the wall and mob Scott and Jimmy. It was a BLAST. They have a makeshift Stanley Cup made of a keg, bucket, and bowl. They presented it to me as the Captain and we got to "skate the cup". So much fun. We took it back to the locker room and chugged some beers out of it. Good times.

Season was a blast and we are signed up again for Fall/Winter that starts in a month.

txlonghorn47

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:54 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Nice job, man.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Greatness
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 am

So as the saying goes, it's not if but when. I took a puck to the face last night. Luckily is got me in the chin and not the mouth. It's sore today and a little swollen, luckily it didn't cut me and the beard is hiding any cosmetic damage at this point.
txlonghorn47

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 am

Y'all don't wear masks?
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:29 am

I only wear a shield. I'd say it's about half and half cages VS shields in out league and there are a couple who wear neither. I just can't do the cage. Looking through the bars drives me crazy.
txlonghorn47

Next

Return to Random Thoughts