New Job Search: ESPN or...

For people who are not cool enough to be HornMafia, so they try to act like him instead.

Re: New Job Search: ESPN or...

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:27 am

I'm guessing you heard back from Bristol and the news wans't good... If that's the case, I'm sorry to hear that ATL.
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:43 am

Yep. An 11 month process ended in a one minute phone call. I took a lot to not tell her that espn can fuck themselves and that she sucks at her job, but I have just a little bit too much maturity for that.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 am

So this thread is back.

I continued to pursue employment across all platforms and employers so I continued to apply for jobs with ESPN. Some friends of mine who work up there went to bat for me to try and get me an interview with the Production Assistant Trainee Program. It's a seven month program with evaluations throughout and after seven months they decide to hire you full time or let you go. A PA is most often responsible for charting games and producing highlights for the various ESPN shows.

I got an email from a Highlight Supervisor asking me to do a phone interview for the program about six weeks ago. I interviewed with him and it went well enough so that he said I'd be put in the pool of candidates to be considered when a position came open. He emailed me two weeks later telling me to re-apply for the position since a spot had come open in the program. I hoped it meant an interview was near.

I got a phone call from the Bristol area code and my heart started racing. It was a woman from HR. She offered me a position with the ESPN Production Assistant Trainee program.

Wait, what? No interview? A straight up offer? Really?

That was the case. I had to think about it...for a nanosecond. I accepted the position and will be moving to Connecticut shortly after New Years and I start on January 11th. Unreal.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am

=D>

Outstanding news, Dan.

We expect to hear reports on Merrill Hoge's VY voodoo doll.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:25 am

That, and some videos of Erin Andrews........just sayin'???

Congrats.....that's awesome news!!!!
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Congrats!
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Music City Mafia on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Congrats! Hope this develops into a rewarding career for you! Make sure you don't step on Lee Corso's merkin.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 pm

That's awesome. Congrats!!! Are you changing your moniker to ESPNLonghorn now?
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby dahorns on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Congratulations =D> =D> =D> =D>
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby orange dream on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm late to the game on this, but congratulations. That is great news.

Forget EA, I'd focus your attention on Jenn Brown.
orange dream
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am

Sooooooooo....how is it? Been forwarded Sean Salisbury penis pics yet?
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

It's been pretty great so far. Like most jobs some days are better than others. My two main shifts right now are highlight shift and news prompting. News Prompting shifts you print the scripts and run the teleprompter for ESPN News. Those shifts are pretty boring. Highlight shifts I watch a game (or two depending on the day), plan out the highlight and work with an editor to cut the highlight. I haven't had any high priority games yet, but I'm pretty happy with the work I've done so far on the games I've had. My feedback so far has been really positive so that's encouraging.

No wild stories yet (and pics of Sean Salisbury's dong or anyone else's dong for that matter). My interactions with the anchors and analysts has been pretty minimal. I've gotten to know a couple of the News anchors a fair amount, but none of the Sportscenter anchors really. My interactions with this has been exclusively handing them the shot sheets for my highlights. Since they're in break or about to go on air they have a lot going on so there hasn't been much time for chit chat. I did have a short conversation with Scott Van Pelt about him being sick from partying and not sleeping while at the Super Bowl that was pretty funny.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Can you kick Colin Cowherd square in the nuts for me the next time you see him.

Thanks.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:19 pm

I haven't seen Cowherd at all. I usually work nights, but when I'm in the newsroom for a prompting shift he's never there with the producers of Sports Nation so I don't see him. I will take it under advisement.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 pm

Sounds good. So is there a competition involved to see who cuts the highlights for say, the Super Bowl or somesuch?
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Good for you Atl. That's terrific to hear. =D>
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

The biggest games go to the best PA's. For the most part, that is the PA's who have been around for a couple of years. There is one guy who has been a PA for going on 4 or 5 years and he gets most of the big assignments. They aren't opposed to giving big games to less experienced PA's once they prove they are capable of handling the responsibility. There are also a ton of PAs so not everyone works on highlights frequently. A lot of PA's work specifically on specialty shows like Baseball Tonight or College Football Live (obviously a show I'm hoping to work on).

The Super Bowl was an interesting case. The Super Bowl had a PA assigned to the first half, one to the third quarter, one to the fourth quarter, one to the commercials and one to halftime (I think). There are also PA's assigned to three or four games a night to cut them for ESPN News, but for the Super Bowl there were at least two assigned specifically to the game. On Super Bowl Sunday I had some bullshit college basketball game that made none of the shows, but it was over well before the game so I was basically getting paid to sit at work and watch the game. Which was nice I guess.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Have you met The Coach?
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Drew Corleone wrote:Have you met The Coach?

Which coach? Johnathan Coachman or someone who is a real coach?
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Yeah, Coachman... I did a double take the first time I saw him on ESPN.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah, I prompted News for him on Monday night. He wasn't my favorite person to work with, but it was ok. It was funny to me though, he was talking about how his friend texted him asking for tickets to Raw in Des Moines that night. He's been gone two years and he said he only has one connection left in the company...the Brooklyn Brawler.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 am

I thought this story was pretty good so I figured I'd share it here....

Yesterday I had to prompt the NBA countdown show and halftime show for the Lakers-Magic game. During halftime one of the producers comes over the headset and says to Stu Scott, "Obviously you can't say this on air, but Kobe was late the arena today because he has a stomach bug and had diarrhea." (which was the god's honest truth.)

So Stu is throwing it back out to the game and the video they show is of Kobe hitting a shot, so Stu says, "Lakers down by 6 at the half, Kobe probably told his teammates that they're going to have to go on some runs if they're going to get back in this one."
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 am

:lol:
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm

The last time I updated this thread I told a poo joke, how fitting for this bunch...

Usually when these threads get updated someone is leaving the job so I want to quash that immediately, I'm not going anywhere.

I am an Emmy winner though.

College GameDay won the Best Weekly Studio Show at the Sports Emmys tonight and as a staff member on the show I will get a statue (which takes several months to happen.)

Pretty cool gig I landed all those years ago.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 pm

That's great! Congratulations!
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

PreviousNext

Return to Random Thoughts