New Job Search: ESPN or...

For people who are not cool enough to be HornMafia, so they try to act like him instead.

New Job Search: ESPN or...

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 pm

How I learned to deal with being strung along for five months.

For those of you read my melt down post last week on the football board, I've been pretty miserable lately. A major catalyst for my unhappiness has to do with my job situation. I've been working at the Radio Station I started as a host at for a year now as a full time employee. I'm the station manager and while that might sound cool, it's not. I have little help, pretty much have to run everything and get little to no help from my boss. The work isn't bad, there is a major problem: my pay, or lack thereof. Our agreement was $400 a week which, while not a king's ransom, all things being equal it's a pretty fair wage for an entry level position in the tv or radio field. The problem is, those paychecks have been few and far between. I don't know how much he owes me because it's depressing to look.

I'm only here because I don't have another job opportunity right now. I've been looking for months, but the job market in this field isn't good. Rest assured, when I do find a new job, I'm suing my current boss to make sure I get what I'm owed, but for now I persist here. Job leads have been meager, but there is currently one that is in the pipes that I'm looking at.

With ESPN.

I surf job boards daily and back in early July went to espn.com to look at the job opportunities. I saw an entry level type position with the stats and research department and figured my nerdiness would be a good fit there so I sent my resume online. In late July I got a phone call from someone with ESPN and she wanted to test my general sports knowledge. She asked me to name the last five heisman winners and their schools, the golf majors, a Laker other than Kobe. She was basically testing to make sure I wasn't a dunce. After that she set up a time for me to take an online sports assessment test.

The test was scheduled for August 1st and was 45 minutes and open notes. I was allowed to use any resources available. It was divided into eight sections. The first section was sports math. It asked questions like calculate these two eras and tell which player has the lower era. The second section gave me two box scores. Each one had four errors and I had to find them.

Fuck that.

It was hard so I skipped over and panicked. If that section is hard, what are 3-8 going to be like? Fortunately it got a lot easier than that. It took my 20 minutes to do section 1 and 3-8. There were sections on sports rules, athletes' colleges, sports and stuff like that. I used my last 20 minutes to finish the box score thing. Two weeks later, Aug. 15, I got a call. I passed the assessment and it was on to the next level, a telephone interview with a supervisor. I was told I would be contacted in "a couple of weeks or so" to schedule the interview. So I waited.

And waited...and waited....and waited.

continued contact with my original contact person were often returned with, "we will contact you soon, please remain patient"

Finally, in mid-October I got the call and was scheduled for a phone interview on October 26th. It was about 20 minutes and seemed to go ok. I don't think I blew the interviewee away, but it was fine. At the end she said the next step was another assessment from the department. When that was going to happen, she never said.

The next day the e-mailed asking me for a copy of my resume and I got an email from the second interviewer on November 13th saying she'd be in contact soon.

After another month of frustration I sent her a polite e-mail asking there were other updates and within 10 minutes got an email from another guy in her department requesting a phone interview. We set it up for Tuesday.

This morning I get an e-mail from the woman who interviewed me in October saying someone would be in contact soon to set up my next assessment. So now I'm confused because it looks like the timing of my e-mail last week was coincidental with that other guy's response so that's where I sit. A phone interview tomorrow at 5pm. I have no idea what to expect beyond that.

That's that. It's now been going on for the better part of five months and I have no idea how soon this process will end. At some point I'll be asked to come up for an in person interview if I get that far, but lord only knows when that will be. The only other thing I have out right now is for a position with the Braves and if that happens I should know soon if I'll be brought in with an interview. That would be ideal, but I'm not expecting it.

I have a bunch of friends at ESPN actually, but most of them are unhappy and headed out as soon as possible. If I'm offered a job and the Braves thing doesn't happen I'm obviously going to take it, but to say this whole thing has been an asswhip would be an understatement.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:55 pm

For any of you who ever wanted to work in the ESPN stats and research department as an entry level drone, to even be considered, you'd have to be able to pass this test, with open notes. I didn't think it was honestly that difficult.

Section 1
THE NUMBERS GAME
he Data Group deals with statistics and statistical formulas. In order to ensure 100% accuracy, we must understand the formulas to get the stats correct. Compute the following stats:

Baseball
1. Who has the BETTER ERA and what is their ERA?
Randy Wilson 100.1 IP, 54 ER
Mike Scott 30 IP, 15 ER
ANSWER:

Basketball
1. Mike Scott shoots 8-for-19 from the field, 3-for-5 from 3 point range, and goes 5-for-6 from the free throw line. How many points does he have, and what is his field goal percentage?
ANSWER:

Football
1. Green Bay scored 42 touchdowns, made 35 extra points, made six 2-point conversions, made 36 field goals and had 2 safeties … Miami scored 40 touchdowns, made 36 extra points, made two 2-point conversions, made 41 field goals and had 3 safeties. How many points did each team score and which team scored more points?
ANSWER:

Hockey
1. Philadelphia scored 263 goals and allowed 253 goals in a season. What is team’s Goals for Average and Goals against Average?
ANSWER:

Section 3
SPELLING
There are rare times when a name is misspelled. If this occurs, we must know what looks different, especially when entering rosters.

WRITE “YES” OR “NO” IF THE ATHLETE’S NAMES ARE SPELLED CORRECTLY. IF NO, THEN PLEASE WRITE THE CORRECT SPELLING.

Johnny Peralta
Amare Stoudemire
Ashley Lelie
Dwayne Wade
Sheldon Williams
Scott Niedermayer
Mark Buerhle
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Joe Nemecheck
Tony Kanaan
Garrett Anderson
Teddy Bruschi
Helio Castronieves

Section 4

SCORING PLAYS
Part of the job is scoring a game. Read the examples and score the plays:

Baseball
Runners are on first and third base with one out. Ground ball to third base, third basemen throws home and catcher tags out runner from third base. Catcher throws to first base where the batter is called out at first base. Score the play …
ANSWER:

Football
New York punts the ball from its own 35-yard line. The ball is caught at the Dallas 18-yard line and is returned to the Dallas 27-yard line. How many yards did the ball travel and what is the NET average?
ANSWER:

Golf
Tiger Woods starts the Par-5 18th Hole by hitting his first shot 325 yards. The second shot goes 175 yards into a bunker. His third shot out of the bunker goes 24 yards, or 3 feet from the hole. The fourth shot goes in the hole. What is his score relative to par for that hole and what is the specific terminology for his score?
ANSWER:

Tennis
Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer are tied 6-6 in the final set. In order for the set and match to be completed, they will play a tiebreaker. How many points will it take to decide a winner?
ANSWER:

Section 5
MAJORS
There are four majors for each of these sports. For tennis, name the event and the surface on which the event is played. For golf, just name the event.

Tennis

Golf

Section 6
WHAT SPORT DO I PLAY?
Write the sport next to the athlete

Martin Truex Jr.
Jermain Taylor
James Blake
Andrea Bargnani
Dawn Staley
Miroslav Klose
Lorena Ochoa
Jeremy Sowers
Duncan Keith
Nick Barnett
Chris Burke
Jeff Halpern
Dario Franchitti

Section 7

ESPNU
WRITE THE NAME OF THE COLLEGE EACH ATHLETE ATTENDED BELOW

Allen Iverson
Brett Favre
Vince Young
Tamika Catchings
Chris Drury
Ray Lewis
Grant Hill
Kevin Garnett
Reggie Bush
Donovan McNabb
Jason Kidd

Section 8

WHAT TEAM DO I PLAY FOR?
Write the team most recently associated with the player
Daunte Culpepper
Charlie Villanueva
Peter Forsberg
Keith Brooking
Jarome Iginla
Leandro Barbosa
Deron Williams
Muhsin Muhammad
Marion Barber III
Larry Hughes

The box score thing is formatted funny, if I can get it right, I'll post it later.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Well I hope it works out. That would be a great position for the resume in your field, I would think. And moving to Bristol, CT shouldn't be too bad, not too far from New York.

As far as your current position goes, I'm not even the person in my own household with the most knowledge in employment issues, but that sounds very unsettling and illegal.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:13 pm

AtlLonghorn wrote:Baseball
1. Who has the BETTER ERA and what is their ERA?
Randy Wilson 100.1 IP, 54 ER
Mike Scott 30 IP, 15 ER
ANSWER:

Bullshit. Mike Scott's ERA would be better than 4.50.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:35 pm

I know it's highly illegal and thankfully my uncle and my older brother are both lawyers who are looking forward to going after my boss once I have a new job, but in the meantime I'll persevere until that day comes or he pushes me to the limit that I can't take anymore which has almost happened twice in the last year.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby BarryBnds on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Sorry to hear about all the problems Atl. I just started a few weeks ago at Citadel Broadcasting here in the OKC Market. Seems to be a great place to work but I do hear horror stories of people that used to work at other stations that conducted those type practices as your going through right now.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby edavis3 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 pm

You are George Costanza!
edavis3
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 pm

He sleeps under his desk???
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:05 am

BarryBnds wrote:Sorry to hear about all the problems Atl. I just started a few weeks ago at Citadel Broadcasting here in the OKC Market. Seems to be a great place to work but I do hear horror stories of people that used to work at other stations that conducted those type practices as your going through right now.

No more Dental business?
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:48 pm

'Hornbybirth wrote:
BarryBnds wrote:Sorry to hear about all the problems Atl. I just started a few weeks ago at Citadel Broadcasting here in the OKC Market. Seems to be a great place to work but I do hear horror stories of people that used to work at other stations that conducted those type practices as your going through right now.

No more Dental business?

No sir Thank God!!!
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby AtlLonghorn on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:46 pm

so I just got off the phone with the guy from ESPN. It was 15 minutes of usual job interview banter and 15 minutes of him asking me to name heisman trophy winners, national champs, nfl superbowl teams, 10,000 yard rushers, etc. He said I did very well, I didn't think I did as well as I would have liked. Who knows where it's going from here.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Re: New Job Search: ESPN or...

Postby AtlLonghorn on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Oh man, so December 16th I had the interview with that guy and then I sat by the phone and my computer waiting...and...waiting...and...waiting...and...waiting...and...

nothing.

My line of communication with ESPN went dead. My friend who worked up there said they were in a company-wide hiring freeze. They weren't laying people off, but they weren't hiring new staff members. That was the end of that dream of working with ESPN...

Until May.

After five months of nothing, I get an e-mail on May 20th from the senior manager of daily production at ESPN asking if I (assuming as part of a group of applicants) was still interested in a job. Well...yeah. So I set up some interviews and over the course of a weekend talk to three different supervising producers at ESPN. The last one tells me I should hear something in a week or two...hahaha yeah right.

After three weeks of nothing I send my original contact an e-mail asking for an update and she has none. After another couple of weeks, I hear nothing again and she says she'll talk to the hiring manager in the stats department and get me an update and still, I hear nothing. Finally, Monday I send her another e-mail and she says they're having a hiring meeting and I will know something later this week.

After an annoyingly stressful day in radio heaven today, I notice I have a missed call from ESPN's area code. I check my voice message and it's the hiring supervisor asking me to give her a call back. I call her back and she asks if I'm interested in coming up to Bristol for an in person interview next week.

So basically, I'm waiting on the paper work to get cleared and then I'll know my schedule. I know I'm going up Friday, interviewing, staying overnight in Bristol and coming home Saturday all on the four letter network's dime. The cool thing is that two of my best friends from UT work up there, one of whom I haven't seen in a year, the other I haven't seen in three years. So I'm pretty fired up right now. I can't wait 'til next Friday because I'm confident I'll nail the interview.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Congrats and good luck on the interview.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby UTwiz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Congrats. Do work.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby LMQueen on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:27 pm

Good luck!
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby HornMafia on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Awesome, dude. Don't get up there and get drunk and bomb the interview, though.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:20 pm

The best of luck to you.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 am

Kick ass! Good Luck!
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby BarryBnds on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 am

That's awesome!!! Good luck.

~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Make it happen Atl!!
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Go get 'em. Also, if things don't go well in the interview, please make your trip memorable by leaving a steamer on Chris Berman's desk.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:27 am

So I got my travel itinerary and waited for word on the schedule for my interview.

and waited...and...you get the drift.

I hadn't heard anything by Wednesday of last week so I emailed the person in charge of setting it up and she e-mailed back saying she was finalizing the details and would call me the next day with details. She never did. She said she did, but I didn't have a missed call or a voice message. She probably called the wrong person. Anyway, armed with the knowledge of where to go and what time I was to be there for my interview I was ready to embark on my trip.

After a cool 90 minutes of sleep due to procrastination in preparation and anxiety for the interview, I left Atlanta at 6:20am Friday to go up for the interview. After a stop over in Philly, I landed in Hartford at 11. It's a 30 minute drive from Hartford to Bristol so I made it with time to spare and got a quick bite to eat. I waited in the lobby with a buddy of mine until the woman came to get me for my interview, 10 minutes late. That's apparently on time for her.

She takes me up to an office to lay out my day where she informs me my day is going to last seven hours. Um what? This was her second strike in my mind. If you're going to put me through a seven hour interview process, that's fine. I think it would be common courtesy to A) bring me up the night before to give me a chance to at least get some rest or B) At least inform me prior to the beginning of the interview what to expect. Whatever.

She gave me a quick tour of the facility and then I met with the first person, the director of the Bottom Line. Basically, Stats and research are divided into three groups. The Bottom line which organizes the ticker and decides the content, Stats and Analysis (where I'd be working) which tracks and charts the games and comes up with the statistical correlations and everything and Production Research, the group who works with the on air talent and staff to put everything into context.

After that interview, I had a phone interview with someone from HR and then I took the shuttle with the interview Organizer to the north campus, where Stats and Analysis is located. To make an already long story shorter, I met with about six more people over there, observed the daily function of the department (which was dumb because there was nothing going on til night) ate dinner with one of the staffers and so on.

I thought the interviews were fine. I don't think I blew anyone away, I didn't bomb them. The work in the department looks easy enough to figure out. It was all good and a pretty cool experience. The end of the day was kind of dumb though. I was allowed to observe for as long as I wanted to, after about a half an hour it was 8:15 and I was spent. The only problem was, I didn't know where to go now. I didn't know if the shuttle came back at night or how I was supposed to get back to the other campus. My primary interviewer didn't answer my phone calls so I was fortunate enough to get a ride with one of the staffers who was heading home for the night.

The interview process was fine. I was soured by the end of the day when it seemed apparent to me that they didn't really care about me. I'm not mad at the stats and analysis people, they were in the middle of their work day, they shouldn't have to cater to me, but the interview organizer did a poor job of informing me of what was going on throughout most of the process. I don't care if the entry level people are the bottom of the bottom feeders, I think it's poor form to bring someone up for an interview and leave them in the dark for much of the time.

It's all good, I'm not exactly in a position to turn down an offer it comes. I can deal with being away from home and I can deal with the cold weather so it's a no brainer. They said I'd hear something about the position in the next couple of weeks which means it could be two weeks or two months or not at all. Until then I'll be waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

at least that much I've learned to expect.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Bevo71 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 am

Wow. What a process! Their lack of common courtesy is really rude.

Good luck!
Bevo71
All Conference
All Conference

Postby orange dream on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Congrats on the interview.

I don't think I blew anyone away, I didn't bomb them.

Keep in mind the pool of candidates you are likely competing against... If you have even average social skills you are likely way ahead of the average "stats geek" I'm sure you came across better than you think.

I think it's poor form to bring someone up for an interview and leave them in the dark for much of the time.

Probably giving them too much credit, but it could have been intentional to check your initiative, persistence and resourcefulness. Probably just a crappy interview process, but you never know.

Good luck and hopefully the wait won't be too long.
orange dream
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby AtlLonghorn on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm

fuck ESPN.
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Next

Return to Random Thoughts