The Ringer Bags on A&M

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

The Ringer Bags on A&M

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Catching up on some articles I flagged and The Ringer did a series of Tim Riggins-focused pieces to mark Taylor Kitch's new Waco miniseries.

My favorite was a round table on whereRiggins might have best fit in as a college player. I thought this exchange about our maroon-clad colleagues was great.

Sherman: Great pitch. But in this weird hybrid universe where Texas State is TMU, we can presume Coach Taylor’s decision to leave the school in the middle of a season burned every bridge between Dillon and TSU/TMU.

You mentioned A&M being too culty. Is there really that big a leap from Dillon’s “Our entire town’s well-being is dominated by the mood swings of a megalomaniacal car salesman who cares more about a high school football team than his family” and A&M’s “We built a scoreboard outside of our stadium so that the dead dogs in our dog graveyard, who used to be five-star generals in our student military, can see whether our football team is winning?”

Baumann: Do they cancel class at Dillon High School if Buddy Garrity barks?

Sherman: He’s much less cute than Reveille but I think he’s as powerful. Not as smart or good.

Baumann: This is gonna sound ridiculous, but I think it’s even more intense at A&M than Dillon. If nothing else, it’s bigger.

Sherman: If they made FNL about A&M it would have been canceled. Too ridiculous.

Baumann: And I feel like the fanaticism at Dillon is more the desperation of people who realize life is short and brutish, while A&M is like Actually Fanatical. One hundred thousand people do coordinated dance routines there every weekend.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: The Ringer Bags on A&M

Postby LMQueen on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 pm

I loved the Tim Riggins series of articles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Re: The Ringer Bags on A&M

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 am

I need to listen to some of the podcasts.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Return to Strange, But True