2018 New Music

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

2018 New Music

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:18 pm

I was disappointed in the half-hearted attempt I made to check out new stuff in 2017 so trying to do better this year.

Here are two albums I really liked in January:

Sidney Gish, No Dogs Allowed - Just your standard 20-year-old college student penning whimsical pop ditties about all of the life experiences a 20-year-old has amassed. She has a talent for melodies whose lyrics range from amusing to charming. Check out: "Sin Triangle," "Good Magicians," "Imposter Syndrome"

First Aid Kit, In Ruins - It feels like a case of "back to the well" for the Swedish folk duo (sisters, to boot), but when they get it right they get it very right. I get lost in the harmonies, even when some of the songs start to run together. Check out: "Postcard," "It's a Shame," "Fireworks"

Just this week I discovered a few new albums that I haven't spent much time with, but have enjoyed so far: Anna Burch, Quit the Curse, and Marie/Lepanto, Tenkiller. The latter is a side project from former Centromatic frontman Will Johnson.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: 2018 New Music

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 pm

After a few trips through Tenkiller my initial impression is the stuff Kinkel-Schuster brought to the studio is waaaaay stronger than what Johnson showed up with. Good album overall. I'd like to go see them play when they're in Dallas next week but I really do not feel like dragging my ass downtown on a Tuesday.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:50 pm

I'd really like to go see that, just because they're playing with Pedro the Lion, but I have a conflict.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Enjoying:

Nameless, Faceless by Courtney Barnett
Formidable Cool by Wolf Alice
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Managed to snag a ticket for the Courtney Barnett show at Saengerrunde Hall in May. Super pumped. Same week as the TDE Championship Tour show
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Return to Strange, But True