2017 Movies

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Re: 2017 Movies

Postby Makaveli on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Star Wars is so bad.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 pm

I loved it.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Darkest Hour - Oldman nailed Churchill and does a good job of carrying the whole movie but it's kind of dull and I was ready for it to be over before it was.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

2017 Movies

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:48 pm

I love Oldman but after Dunkirk I cannot motivate myself to want to see this movie.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:04 pm

All the Money in the World: I really liked this one. I know absolutely nothing about the Getty family outside of their art collection, so the whole kidnapping deal was completely new to me. Michelle Williams and Christopher Plummer turned in Oscar worthy performances. Plummer is a great actor and I'm guessing the movie is better with him in the role of Jean Paul Getty than it would have been with Spacey in that role. Ridley Scott did a hell of a job reshooting a huge portion of the movie in a big hurry.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:05 am

The Killing of a Sacred Deer - Pretty grim but very well done. Yorgos Lanthimos is one of the better writer/directors making movies right now.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Didn't see in the theater (wish I had), but did watch Blade-runner 2049 last night. It had been so long since I'd seen the original movie (was a bit of a snoozer for me back then), I had to go back and re-read the story line/background. I have mixed opinions on this one. I found it visually stunning and profound in many ways and regret I did not get to see that play out on a big screen. The story development is a bit clunky and a slog at times. For me, there just wasn't enough character depth/development to really embrace the emotional elements of the individuals and the story. Instead, I found myself mesmerized with the movie's take on a future society that, quite frankly, was pretty bleak and soulless, but at the same time visually captivating.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Judging by my IMDb history....

“Get Out” is likely the best non-documentary film I have seen since December 2009.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Columbus - 6/10. Haley Lu Richardson and John Cho (of American Pie MILF Guy fame) do a nice job shouldering 99% of the heavy lifting in a very dialogue heavy movie but it came off as kind of flat. Mak - You might like this one since it is probably the most Linklater-ish movie that Richard Linklater didn't actually make.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Haha. I was just thinking that one sounds good.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 am

Saw Lady Bird last night. I would say I liked it, but I kind of wonder what it would have been like with different actors... for instance, Allison Janney instead of Laurie Metcalf, or Richard Dreyfus instead of they guy that played the day (who I thought may have been Richard Dreyfus for a time). There were a few head-scratchers where they threw things out and then really didn't go back to them, but overall a solid flick. Felt Noah Baumbach-esque.

And at the risk of being told to start my own fucking 2018 movies thread, they showed the trailer for the new Wes Anderson animated movie, Isle of Dogs. That guy is really weird.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 am

Greta Gerwig is a Baumbach protege. She's been in four or five of his movies and I think maybe co-wrote one or two of those. Greenberg would probably show up in my top 25 movies of the 2000s so far.

I don't know if the movie would have been better off with Janney in it. She is kind of a one note Johnny (Jane?) and, while it really worked in I, Tonya, I'm not sure it would have worked in Lady Bird.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:25 pm

The Post: By the numbers Oscar voter catnip. It was well executed, but I could have done without the three or four scenes of "Just in case you don't get that this is a movie about a woman in power in a man's world, THIS IS A MOVIE ABOUT A WOMAN IN POWER IN A MAN'S WORLD!!!!!" Have a little bit of faith in the viewer, Spielberg. All in all, i'd say it is worth seeing.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am

She's dating Baumbach, or so I read yesterday, and he offered to direct it. That made me laugh a little bit.

I don't necessarily think it would have been better but I kept thinking about her in it the whole time.

Have not seen I, Tonya, yet. Going to try next weekend.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:38 am

Drew Corleone wrote:She's dating Baumbach, or so I read yesterday, and he offered to direct it. That made me laugh a little bit.

That is pretty funny. "Hey let me direct the semi-autobiographical movie you wrote!"
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Really shouts, "I love you, babe," doesn't it?
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Molly's Game - 9/10. Never been a huge fan of Sorkin. I never watched The West Wing and I checked out on The Newsroom after 2 episodes. I thought this was great. The story is compelling, Chastain and Elba turned in Oscar-worthy performances and it didn't feel overly long even though it clocks in at 2.5 hours.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Hostiles: 4/10 Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. Western meets road movie that checks every box that most modern Westerns seem to check. There's no real conflict driving the story, any obstacles the group meets are dispatched in short order and it doesn't work as a character-driven movie. I never got drawn into it and probably checked my watch about a dozen times.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 am

That's disappointing.

Went and saw Shape of Water a second time....can't recommend it enough.

I, Tonya........highly recommend that as well......it's hysterically depressing, but well done.....and whoever made Margot Robbie actually look bad deserves an Oscar....she may too.

Going to see Phantom Thread this weekend. Yes, I'm being "dragged" to see it......and yes, I'll probably love it. It's apparently DDL's last movie.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:07 am

Our Oscars prep continues tonight with Three Billboards.

K saw Shape of Water last weekend while I was watching football, so if I see that I'll have to catch it by myself.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

PTA's last few movies haven't done much for me but I am in gym drydock per doctor's orders and will probably go see Phantom Thread this afternoon like a good little Oscar bait lemming.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 pm

I thought There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice were all horrible movies but Phantom Thread is great. It's really episodic and there's not much of a plot to it. The leads gave great performances. Things take an odd left turn at the end but it doesn't really detract from the overall product. 9/10.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Three Billboards was the best of the four 2017 movies I've seen (all of which I liked).
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm

I really dig Martin McDonaugh's other stuff and was really excited for Three Billboards but I didn't think it was all that great. Rockwell, McDormand, and Harrelson killed it but I thought it tried way too hard to be edgy. Dinklage's character seemed completely unnecessary.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 pm

Copy and Pasted from the "TV Programming" thread:

And if I could cross-pollinate(Sorry Kevin)....saw The Shape of Water for a third time........it'll never be Inception or Interstellar, but it's right there. It will of course tickle the taint of every "artist" and " smell my own farts" Academy voter for nominating it, but then of course they'll tickle their "social consciousness" taint enough to vote for "Get Out", which was great, but means "Three Billboards", which was also great, will win, but make no mistake, The Shape of Water was the best film of the year....and in a long time.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

PreviousNext

Return to Strange, But True