2014 Movies

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Re: 2014 Movies

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:48 pm

U2-Horn wrote:also, Emma Stone is bae.

\:D/ :-"

What does "bae" mean? If it means "overrated" then you're correct.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Before Anyone Else
BAE
These kids these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Bucharest on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Watched John Wick last night.....wanted to hate it because of Keanu Reeves, but I didn't.....in fact, it was great.....actually really, really liked it.

Other things I really, really like....Emma Stone...she's fucking adorable.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Watched Edge of Tomorrow a few weeks ago... great sci-fi action flick... the most entertaining one I have seen in a few years. Emily Blunt - and let's be honest, unless you just have to have ginormous funbags, how could you not immediately stand at attention at the thought of her doing anything physical (or scantily clad)? -is great as Full Metal Bitch. It helps to not think too much about the time travel aspect (it's not really a time travel movie - more of a Groundhog Day scenario).

Anyway, fun movie that is playing all the time right now on HBO.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:13 pm

OK let me take a shot at articulating this. Pardon me if I'm scattered and rambling.

I don't know how to do fancy Spoiler posting, so let's do this:

BIRDMAN SPOILERS BELOW

There is one fundamental problem that deserves mention for starters. The film doesn't have anything to say, and doesn't seem aware of this. It thinks it is smart, but it isn't. It goes nowhere. I'm not a big fan of that, but I can get over it for the sake of "entertainment value". So I'm moving on and admitting the movie had entertainment value.

Flawed Scene #1

Keaton's character is levitating in his underwear at the beginning of the film.

First I must digress and discuss my own perception of the style with which this was filmed and edited. It has a one-take look, analogous to a stage production which I thought was quite clever. But when we see the Birdman from behind, he either doesn't know we are watching or else is putting on a show for the audience. It is NOT a first-person vibe. We are watching, in my opinion, as uninvested 3rd Person observers. Here is the problem.... We watched him levitate. Therefore he has supernatural powers. He is an actual superhero. It's a great start, as now even a freaking Super Hero can't catch a break in this world. Even he is a loser. As it was presented.... At best, this is ham-fisted manipulative film-making. Please see "A Beautiful Mind" for better methods of pulling this type of trick off genuinely.

Flawed Scene #2

Taxi Driver runs into theatre after the Birdman flying scene and comes back with taxi fare. They go out of the way to make sure you know he wasn't really flying which was really annoying. This scene is fatal to the movie.

YES, I'm saying this should have been a Superhero movie. It doesn't work as well any other way.

You either have to remove Scene 1, or you (preferably) have to remove Scene 2. They can't co-exist.

The fact that they do, gives it a "LOST" feel that suggests they didn't know what they were doing when making the movie. It wouldn't be hard to get off track when you don't know where you're going. We know they didn't go anywhere, so there's that.

It's Shocking to me that they give the directorial award to this show (and Best Picture ?!?!) over Boyhood. I wasn't even a huge fan of Boyhood, but that's in a whole different league than Birdman. If Joel Schumacher made Birdman, he would have gotten a directorial Razzie nomination.

Hedging: The FINAL Scene with the girl looking out Window and up into the Air.... Then smiling, as I recall.... This short moment lingered far too long, and I'm not sure what they're trying to say. We already know what happened based on the Taxi Driver scene -- Keaton's character committed suicide. There really is no question as the movie was presented. Why the aura of mystery, I'm not sure. If you remove the taxi scene, then we know that he absolutely flew away -- which would match her expression. Unless.... She is hallucinating, not him. But that's even stupider than any possibility including the final product. She wasn't there in scene 1 to see the levitation. We, the audience, were as 3rd party observers. We know things she doesn't.

Bottom line, You have to choose if he has supernatural powers or doesn't. He can have them, or just be delusional. I'm fine with any ambiguity presented if they want the audience to decide for themselves....I'm even OK if the filmmakers don't know. But you CANNOT have logical flaws that break the whole movie down either way then PRETEND like it's ambiguous and open to audience interpretation at the end.

Good performances and production values, pointless story, terrible script, fatally flawed lack of execution that I put on the director. Shocking they give Oscar(s) to this picture.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Makaveli on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 pm

I have a minor technical gripe to add....

SPOILER

When he gets stuck outside the theatre and goes running in his underwear... he runs the wrong direction. I thought it was obvious, and I rarely catch "continuity" errors. I can't find any other mention of it so perhaps I'm mistaken ?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:28 pm

12ozLongneck wrote:
What does "bae" mean? If it means "overrated" then you're correct.

[-X [-X [-X

[-( [-( [-(
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 am

12ozLongneck wrote:Saw Captain America 2 tonight. As far as scripted entertainment goes, it was thoroughly adequate. I thought the first one was OK. This one was better, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had seen the rest of the Avenger origin movies and The Avengers movie. Lots of the SHIELD stuff was lost on me. If the Marvel universe stuff does anything for you at all, you'll probably enjoy this.

I liked this one. The Captain America character irritates me but I liked the guy that played Falcon (though to me he'll always be Eminem's nemesis from 8 Mile). ScaJo is in no way believable as a badass, IMO, but I like to look at her. Agree that it was better than the first one, bucking the trend of these movies (Iron Man, Thor).

Spoiler: show
I liked the Ezekial 25:17 inscription of Nick Fury's grave stone. Nice touch.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:17 am

Been on an Oscar movie trip in the last week...

Whiplash - Definitely the most straight forward movie of the bunch, but the one I probably enjoyed the most. J.K. Simmons is so good. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the shit he says in the movie because it's so outlandish that someone could be that much of an asshole. I really liked the movie.

Grand Budapest Hotel - One of the most beautifully composed movies I've ever seen. Every shot is carefully crafted and perfectly shot it's unreal. However, the plot kind of falls flat for me at the end.

Boyhood - I appreciate what they did by sticking to a plan of shooting it over 12 years I just wished something happened that made you care about any of the characters. The acting is so painfully bad across the board I didn't feel any kind of connection with any of the characters at all. I needed some sort of plot, something to make me want to care about these people and there was nothing except for one scene which had no emotional payoff.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Richard Linklater was the wrong guy to make that movie.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 am

Finally watched Interstellar last night... what a fantastic film. I agree with Buch... Nolan is the best filmmaker out there right now.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:41 pm

I didn't like Interstellar much at all. The fact that it seems to think it is very smart makes me dislike it even more.
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:10 pm

That is very Frazier of you, and not at all unsurprising.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:22 pm

It was boring.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Makaveli wrote:I didn't like Interstellar much at all. The fact that it seems to think it is very smart makes me dislike it even more.

Interesting, you liked Contact. I did not. I hated it. After you raved about it, I watched it again. I now really like that movie.

I also really liked Interstellar. Surprised that you did not.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 pm

Drew Corleone wrote:Watched Edge of Tomorrow a few weeks ago... great sci-fi action flick... the most entertaining one I have seen in a few years. Emily Blunt - and let's be honest, unless you just have to have ginormous funbags, how could you not immediately stand at attention at the thought of her doing anything physical (or scantily clad)? -is great as Full Metal Bitch. It helps to not think too much about the time travel aspect (it's not really a time travel movie - more of a Groundhog Day scenario).

Anyway, fun movie that is playing all the time right now on HBO.

Loved the movie. Emily Blunt is Hot IMO.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed May 18, 2016 4:07 pm

I just watched the first hour and a half to two hours of Foxcatcher and have never been so bored in my life.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Previous

Return to Strange, But True