Books

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Books

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 am

I am off next week and am taking a break from the Game of Thrones series after I polish off the rest of A Storm of Swords. What have you people been reading lately?

I blew through Free Will by Sam Harris this evening based on a recommendation in a thread over on ShaggyBevo about Christianity and free will. It's more or less a scientific argument against the fact that free will exists. It's only about 100 pages and is worth checking out if that sort of thing holds any interest for you at all.

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr is worth a look too. It's about how the internet is rewiring/rotting our brains.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Re: Books

Postby eochs on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:13 am

Not anything that is very deep in any way, but a fun trash read for us 80's children is "Ready Player One". It is all pop culture references to 80's movies/music/video games. Basically a grim future where a massive RPG has replaced normal human interaction, and the guy who invented it dies and leaves easter eggs to hunt for in the system. Whoever finds the easter eggs first wins control over the massive fortune and the system. Again, nothing mind blowing here, but a fun read for sure
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Books

Postby LMQueen on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am

Have you read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell? Very quick read.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am

Lone Survivor was good, though his writing got to be a chore after a while. Quick read, though.

I'm plodding my way through Blood Meridian. While I normally read quickly, the language/dialect makes it tough. I find myseld re-reading passages and struggling to understand what is going on.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 am

I had the same problem when I read All The Pretty Horses. McCarthy's writing style isn't very accessible.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am

It didn't bother me as much in The Road.

And I actually like his style... it's just requires focus.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:17 am

In 2012 I've read "The Bad Guys Won", "Boys Will Be Boys", and "Badasses". All great reads.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby Mr. Peabody on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Drew Corleone wrote:
I'm plodding my way through Blood Meridian. While I normally read quickly, the language/dialect makes it tough. I find myseld re-reading passages and struggling to understand what is going on.

Ditto on blood meridian. I gave up about halfway.

I've been reading the Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They are really good.

So far I've read

Tarzan of the Apes
Return of Tarzan
Son of Tarzan

They are quick and easy reads.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:03 am

Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne is an amazing read about the Comanche tribe and Quannah Parker.

Hellhound On His Trail by Hampton Sides is a very good read as well. It covers the manhunt for MLK's assasin, James Earl Ray.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Just in case any of you read 50 Shades of Grey and found yourself thinking "What this really needs is some dinosaurs."

The Link
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby MBK271 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 am

Wtf?

Love the description. That is awesome
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:02 am

RIP Tom Clancy. Red Storm Rising + Sum of All Fears were amazing.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 am

I think this thread killed him.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby txlonghorn47 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am

Did you kill Bill Walsh?
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:05 pm

I recently read "liars poker". It was a quick nonfiction read .
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:21 pm

I just finished the all the Scot Harvath novels by Brad Thor.

Then I read the new Jack Reacher book.

Now, I'm rereading the Mitch Rapp novels by Vince Flynn. Mitch Rapp is a bad ass. If you guys haven't read the novels, you are missing out.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 am

I know this is random, but has anyone else read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis? I read it after hearing some of the comedians/entertainers I listen to rave about it and now I'm left wondering if it's just some New York/90s thing that I just don't get. Hay-zeus Cristo that book frustrated the piss out of me. Nothing worse than trying to power through I book that you're not enjoying.

On a positive note, I'm a little over halfway through "Slow to Get Up", a football memoir-type by Nate Jackson, a former receiver/tight end for the Broncos. A really quick, entertaining perspective on pro/football in general from kind of a fringe player. He was on the team when Darrent Williams was killed and he had ties to Bill Walsh, so there is some life-perspective mixed in, as well. Recommend for anyone looking to take a break from more serious fare.

Oh, and I should mention that I do most of my reading at the gym....while walking on the treadmill. Alas, I don't think it's ever going to happen, but I keep hoping that one day Wiz is going to be stuck waiting for a machine while I merrily plod along at a few miles per hour, enjoying my stroll :D .
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby LMQueen on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:40 pm

:)

Never read American Psycho but I enjoyed Robert giving us a hysterical play by play of some of the more ridiculous scenes in the movie.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Makaveli on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:12 am

That's a strange movie. Nothing else like it.

That should not be interpreted as an endorsement.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Ben - Never read American Psycho, but I have read one of his other novels - Less Than Zero. I think you're probably right. We are a bit too young to appreciate the 80s and it is very much a case of "You had to be there" with his stuff.

Mak - What was your issue with the movie? It was meant as a very dark comedy and is supposed to be ridiculous/over the top.

I finished up Consciousnes and the Social Brain tonight. Pretty dense stuff, but it's cool if you how the brain works interests you at all.

Finally finished White Noise by Don Delillo recently. A bunch of people I know really like Delillo's stuff and Rhett Miller mentions him or refers to his novels in some of the Old 97s stuff, so I thought I might be missing out on something by not giving his stuff a try. Turns out that I wasn't.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon May 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Finished Chickenhawk this evening. It's about as quick of a read as something that clocks in at over 500 pages can be. If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you'll like:

More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a "chickenhawk" in constant danger.

Looking forward to Perfidia by James Ellroy of LA Confidential fame:

The Japanese have bombed Pearl Harbor. The United States teeters on the edge of war. The roundup of allegedly treasonous Japanese Americans is about to begin. And in L.A., a Japanese family is found dead. Murder or ritual suicide? The investigation will draw four people into a totally Ellroy-ian tangle: a brilliant Japanese American forensic chemist; an unsatisfiably adventurous young woman; one police officer based in fact (William H. "Whiskey Bill" Parker, later to become the groundbreaking chief of the LAPD), the other the product of Ellroy's inimitable imagination (Dudley Smith, arch villain of The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, White Jazz). As their lives intertwine, we are given a story of war and of consuming romance, a searing exposé of the Japanese internment, and an astonishingly detailed homicide investigation. In Perfidia, Ellroy delves more deeply than ever before into his characters' intellectual and emotional lives. But it has the full-strength, unbridled story-telling audacity that has marked all the acclaimed work of the "Demon Dog of American Crime Fiction."

That comes out in September. In the meantime, I'll polish off the last book in the Game of Thrones series so I can wait 5 more years for the next book to come out and be aggravated when George RR Martin dies before the books are finished like everybody else.

What are you people reading these days?
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue May 13, 2014 12:05 am

To Sell is Human and The Lean Start-Up... both at my boss's behest.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby McKinneyHorn on Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Polished off Hugh Howey's 3 Part Series Silo; Wool, Shift and Dust. Post apocalyptic US of people growing up and living in Silos. Good read...
M.T.H. Let 'Em Run
McKinneyHorn
Starter
Starter

Postby Mr. Peabody on Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Just finished all the alex cross series books (21).
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon May 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Blew through most of Nic Pizzolatto's (True Detective creator) novel Galveston today. Only 275 pages and the Kindle version can be had for $3. Dude can write.

On the same day that Roy Cady is diagnosed with a terminal illness, he senses that his boss, a dangerous loan-sharking bar-owner, wants him dead. Known “without affection” to members of the boss’s crew as “Big Country” on account of his long hair, beard, and cowboy boots, Roy is alert to the possibility that a routine assignment could be a deathtrap. Which it is. Yet what the would-be killers do to Roy Cady is not the same as what he does to them, which is to say that after a smoking spasm of violence, they are mostly dead and he is mostly alive.

Before Roy makes his getaway, he realizes there are two women in the apartment, one of them still breathing, and he sees something in her frightened, defiant eyes that causes a fateful decision. He takes her with him as he goes on the run from New Orleans to Galveston, Texas—an action as ill-advised as it is inescapable. The girl’s name is Rocky, and she is too young, too tough, too sexy—and far too much trouble. Roy, Rocky, and her sister hide in the battered seascape of Galveston’s country-western bars and fleabag hotels, a world of treacherous drifters, pickup trucks, and ashed-out hopes. Any chance that they will find safety there is soon lost. Rocky is a girl with quite a story to tell, one that will pursue and damage Roy for a very long time to come.

Link
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Next

Return to Strange, But True