Books

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Re: Books

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Any recommendations?
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Amazon offer Prime subscribers a free new book each month. I was intrigued by two of the titles this month, and opted to read Midair, about four recent HS grads that take a trip to Paris immediately after graduation. Pros: it took about 2-3 hours to read. Cons: everything else.

With a renewed interest in reading I knocked out Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere over the past few days. It was much less of a slog than American Gods, and a generally enjoyable read. Pretty basic "everyman stumbles into a supernatural battle of good v. evil" story. I am surprised it hasn't been made into a movie (I know the BBC has done several adaptations for other media).

Last night I started Vonnegut's Mother Night, a meta-memoir about a Nazi propagandist-allegedly-turned-American spy.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 pm

I am definitely not going to hit my 25 book goal for the year.

Been re-reading stuff I read in high school and do not remember much about. Brave New World is worth going back and checking out. Huxley got so much right.

I bought Neverwhere on sale for 2 bucks and haven't read it yet.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:36 pm

After 3 books in one week I think I may have a chance at my goal of 12 (brings me to 5 for the year).

It took me three tries to read Brave New World. I bailed 40 pages in on two occasions. I'm glad I eventually powered through because I thought it settled into a great work, but I remember thinking that I still preferred 1984.

For some reason I thought you had suggested Neverwhere to me (several people did, but I thought you were one of them).

Mother Night probably lacks the gravitas of Slaughterhouse Five, and it's a little different from the other Vonnegut I've read, but damn, that was a thought-provoking book.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 pm

I am definitely not going to meet my 25 books this year goal because I keep reading stuff that is long as hell. I've been going back and forth between Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789–1815, which is the second volume of The Oxford History of the United States and Underworld by Don Delillo and finished both this week. Empire of Liberty was great. I've given DeLillo a few shots and just don't get him. Underworld was a real chore to get through and I'm pretty much done with his stuff. What are y'all reading?
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Previous

Return to Strange, But True