Current TV Programming

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

Current TV Programming

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:16 am

Just curious what everyone watches.

Shows I actively watch:

Kings
Big Love
East Bound and Down
LOST
The Office
Friday Night Lights
How I Met Your Mother (catching up on DVD now, will probably start weekly by next season)
Entourage
Keeping Up With the Kardashians
Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory
Mad Men

Shows I casually follow or that I once watched and lost interest in, but may occasionally tune in for:

Flight of the Conchords (have pretty much lost interest)
Grey's Anatomy (depending on when Kristina watches it)
Real World/The City/RR-RW Challenges (Kristina, again)
American Idol (let's just re-name this category "shows I'm exposed to that I wouldn't otherwise watch")
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Rescue Me
My Name is Earl
Nip/Tuck
ER
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Shows I hear good things about (i.e., that I may try on DVD eventually), but that I have never watched:

30 Rock
Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men
Heroes
Dexter (Showtime)
United States of Tara (Showtime)

Beyond that I watch a lot of re-runs (The West Wing, The Cosby Show, Seinfeld, The Wire), and a lot of non-serial programming on Discovery. TLC, History and Science channels. Plus I watch a lot of sports, and depending on my mood, news shows.

Is that on par with your viewing habits?
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Re: Current TV Programming

Postby Music City Mafia on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 am

Shows I actively watch: Supernatural, Top Chef
Shows I tune into now and then: The Office (just recently started tuning in here and there)

I've just been so out on TV shows for years now. Don't have the time/energy to invest in following them any more and quite frankly, find most of them uninteresting. If I'm watching TV, it's probably sports, news, or a movie on one of the movie channels.
Last edited by Music City Mafia on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiss my Converse!
Music City Mafia
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 am

Shows I actively watch
How I Met Your Mother
Scrubs
The Amazing Race

Shows I watch Regularly in Syndication
Two and a Half Men
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy
Rob & Big
Run's House

Shows I hear Good Things About but Never Watch(ed)
The Sopranos (I know, I know)
The Shield
Rescue Me
Dexter

Shows I used to watch regularly but lost track of and intend to watch once all the seasons are out on DVD because I hate waiting for new episodes
Lost

Shows I used to watch regularly but stopped because I couldn't deal with the new levels of suck it was achieving
Heroes
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am

Let's see...

Shows That I Actively Watch

Eastbound and Down
Entourage
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Mad Men
The Hills
The City
Real World/Real World Challenge
The Office
Friday Night Lights
Lost
Work Out
The Real Housewives of Orange County
The Real Housewives of New York City
Flipping Out
Nip/Tuck
Damages
The Riches
LA Ink
The Haney Project

I think that is it?

Occasionally Tune In For

Rescue Me
Grey's Anatomy (usually on the computer while Robbi watches)
Flip This House
Million Dollar Listing
Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock Hotel

Shows That I've Heard Good Things About And Want To Eventually Try

30 Rock
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:58 am

Y'all definitely need to put 30 Rock into the rotation. It surpassed The Office for me last season.

My wife liked The Riches--it's cancelled though.

We stopped watching Heroes early on this season--too convoluted. I think the DVR does provide a good barometer for whether you should hang in with a show--we would invariably have Heroes episodes built up and had no interest in watching them over anything else on the DVR.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:02 am

Was The Riches cancelled? it was very good for the first season, a lot weaker the second season. Hard to maintain that storyline, I suppose.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am

Shows That I Actively Watch

Flight of the Conchords
Eastbound and Down
Entourage
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Mad Men
The Office
Friday Night Lights
Lost
The Haney Project
Biggest Loser (Never watched before this season, but for some reason I've developed a fascination for this one. Probably because I'd like to lose 30 pounds--again)
Amazing Race
Survivor
Good Eats
30 Rock
Fringe
Monk (not very good anymore, but we've watched from the beginning and it's about to be done)
House

Occasionally Tune In For

Overhaulin' (Not sure they even make new ones anymore, and I usually just FF through most of the filler)
Giada at Home
Everyday Italian
Tyler's Ultimate
Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay
Iron Chef America
Psych (wife watches regularly, it's got some funny moments)
Motorweek

Shows That I've Heard Good Things About And Want To Eventually Try

The Unit
MI-5
(Wife watches both of those while she's on the elliptical and has enjoyed them)
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:09 am

How is that show Psych? The fx shows tend to be solid, but for whatever reason I have a had time keeping up with them.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:12 am

I'm fascinated by the HIMYM phenomenon. I guess it should be on my list to eventually try, but I just never considered it to be anything than generic CBS sitcom. I was shocked to see regular weekly threads about it on shaggy.

Again, I've never watched a single episode, so I really just have no clue about the show.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 am

Drew Corleone wrote:How is that show Psych? The fx shows tend to be solid, but for whatever reason I have a had time keeping up with them.

I edited my entry slightly with more info--my wife watches regularly and sometimes I'll tune in--the white guy on the show is pretty funny. They have some really good/funny lines that are easy to have go over your head, but if you pay attention they pay off. There's also a LOT of references to growing up in the 80s when their characters grew up (they supposedly graduated HS in 95), so there's lots of familiarity there. It's just kind of a popcorn show.

Psych is on USA though, not FX. It's pretty much a Monk clone.
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby AtlLonghorn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 am

U2-Horn wrote:I'm fascinated by the HIMYM phenomenon. I guess it should be on my list to eventually try, but I just never considered it to be anything than generic CBS sitcom. I was shocked to see regular weekly threads about it on shaggy.

Again, I've never watched a single episode, so I really just have no clue about the show.

It's about as edgy as a comedy will get for CBS, which is to say it's not really that edgy. It would be great on another network. Neil Patrick Harris' character is outstanding, Jason Segel is hilarious and the brunette chick is hot. The main character is seriously one of the most obnoxious douchebags in TV history. I watch for NPH and Segel and just want them to get to how he met their mother already.
"I told our good friend Matthew McConaughey this was like winning an Oscar or an Emmy and he said, 'Hell no, this is big stuff.'" - Mack Brown
AtlLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 am

AtlLonghorn wrote:
U2-Horn wrote:I'm fascinated by the HIMYM phenomenon. I guess it should be on my list to eventually try, but I just never considered it to be anything than generic CBS sitcom. I was shocked to see regular weekly threads about it on shaggy.

It's about as edgy as a comedy will get for CBS, which is to say it's not really that edgy. It would be great on another network. Neil Patrick Harris' character is outstanding, Jason Segel is hilarious and the brunette chick is hot. The main character is seriously one of the most obnoxious douchebags in TV history. I watch for NPH and Segel and just want them to get to how he met their mother already.

That's a pretty good summary. I just started watching this a few weeks ago, and my involvement with the show encompasses about 15 episodes, but I think it's really funny. I also agree that the main guy, Ted, is annoying.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BarryBnds on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 am

I Tivo:
Pardon the interruption
Jim Rome's show
The Haney Project

Don't get to watch to much TV with a 6 and 2 year old girls. Seems to be my TV is only ever on Noggin.
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby HornMafia on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am

I do watch the Giada shows when they are on. Sometimes the Bobby Flay challenges, and some HGTV if nothing else is on.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Makaveli on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:25 pm

The only show on anybody's list that I've ever seen is Flip this House

EDIT: I watched nearly the whole season of 24, I think it was season 5 maybe ? on DVD.

Shows I actively watch
Squawk Box
The Kudlow Report, This is the best show I've ever seen I cannot imagine TV being better than this.

Occasionally tune in for
Fast Money
Squawk on the Street
Cavuto on Business
Bulls & Bears
Forbes on Fox
Closing Bell
Street Signs
Power Lunch
The Call
Worldwide Exchange
Bloomberg News
Your World w/ Neil Cavuto
On the Record w/ Greta Van Susteren only because it's my wife's favorite show
Sean Hannity
The O'Reilly Factor

The only other thing I watch is late I night I flip channels until I find something about UFO's, Big Foot, something about nature like "Planet Earth" or something about History, particularly US or Military, or Current Event specials i.e. Inside Air Force One, or House of Cards or something like that.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby MBK271 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Makaveli wrote:Shows I actively watch
Squawk Box
The Kudlow Report, This is the best show I've ever seen I cannot imagine TV being better than this.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My word, you do watch a lot of economic shows. That's good. I do too. But Kudlow as the best on television? Wow!

He reminds me of this Richard Quest. He's this loud British guy that I have to watch over here across the pond. They are both the same character as Cramer. They Just talk loudly and over people to make your point because it is your show. The problem is that I used to read Cramer's column in Time (11 years ago) before theStreet.com or CNBC and he was really good. Now it's just about the show like the rest of 'em. I think Kudlow makes some good points but they are only about every 6-7 in 10. AND he's a sunshine pumper and for me, the most optimistic person that I know, that is saying a lot.

Ok, so I can't criticize and then not say what I watch. I can't see the Mavs or Horns in Pittsburgh so I pretty much just watch the news.

I think Lou Dobbs is ok (since I'm becoming more libertarian) but he thinks he's a badass (like Oreilly) which is annoying.

I really like Brian Williams to tell you truth.

Glenn Beck has some good points at times but he, like Dobbs and Oreilly, is very self righteous.

So, TV these days pretty much sucks. They are all annoying.

I watch a lot of Food Network to be honest with you.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Shows I actively watch:

The Unit
Kings
Terminator - The Chronicles of Sarah Connor
Law and Order
Law and Order Criminal Intent
Law and Order SVU
Friday Night Lights
Mad Men
Man vs Food
Anthony Bourdain No Reservations
Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmerman
Living With Ed

Shows I casually follow or that I once watched and lost interest in, but may occasionally tune in for:

Top Gear
Future Weapons
Viva La Bam
X Files
Dogfights - The History Channel
Modern Marvels

Shows I hear good things about (i.e., that I may try on DVD eventually), but that I have never watched:

Lost
The Shield

I watch 24, but I don't watch it during the season. I watch all the episodes in a row on DVD.
I tried Heroes. (That show was just too dumb)
I tried Doll House. (FAIL)
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Kudlow is not the best part of the show, although he does ask a lot of smart questions. I generally agree that he's too much of a sunshine pumper but the guests he gets are great and the show isn't dumbed down like all the others.

I can't stand Cramer, notice he was not on my list.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 pm

I saw Flipping Out on HM's list. I think that is about the gay guy with OCDs that flips houses. I like that show. Haven't seen it on in a while though.

NOTE TO SELF:
Never go over to Robert's house to watch TV. BORING!
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:45 pm

My diet of scripted television consists of:

--Lost. I started catching up on DVD about halfway through Season 2 and have been watching ever since. I couldn't understand what the hoopla was about before I started watching, but I was hooked after about 3 episodes. If you're not watching this, you should give it a whirl.

--King of the Hill. Reruns on channel 27 at 11:30. Cotton Hill is the most underrated television character ever.

--Mad Men. Watched Season 1 on DVD. Will watch season 2 via bittorrent once I'm done with school.

--The Office. I used to watch every week. Stopped at the end of season 2. Caught up via Netflix. Season 3 kind of sucked. I'm about done with Season 4 and it's way better.

I quit watching the news on TV. I just don't care anymore.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Silverado on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:56 am

i don't watch as much TV anymore working nights. I just get too far behind on the DVR.

Shows I do watch though:

The Amazing Race
The Unit
Lost
Rescue Me
LA Ink
Keeping Up With The Kardashians
The Soup
The Girls Next Door
Dollhouse (All Eliza)
Breaking Bad (a friend of mine plays a DEA agent in an upcoming episode)

Shows I used to watch and am now trying to catch up:

CSI
NCIS

I like to stop down for occasional espisodes of the First 48, Futureweapons, and some cooking shows on the Food Network.
"All that schooling, and it takes a knucklehead who's passed out on the couch with a foam finger on to connect them with the outside world."--JRod
Silverado
All Conference
All Conference

Postby tamut98 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Actively watch:
Lost
Big Love - I highly recommend watching this. Great Stuff
East Bound and Down
Amazing Race
Kings
Big Bang Theory
How I met your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Heroes
The Office
My Name is Earl
American Idol - <tamut98 hangs head in shame>

On Occassion:
30 Rock
CSI - Vegas
Dancing With the Stars
WuhPOW!
tamut98
All Conference
All Conference

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 pm

actively watch:

Intervention
Big Love
Eastbound
Heroes
HIMYM
The Office
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
Phineas and Ferb
Yo Gabba Gabba
FNL - I watched it on Directv commercial free last fall. Only way to go.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby txlonghorn47 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Actively Watch
Entourage
Eastbound and Down
Sons Of Anarchy

If it's on I'll watch it
Man VS Food
Dhani Tackles The Globe
The Office
Two And A Half Men
How I Met Your Mother
King Of Queens
Intervention
The First 48
OverHaulin

I used to make sure I was home for Dirty Sexy Money, but they f'ing cancelled it. Other than these I watch sports. In fact most of my TV time is spent on Baseball in the Spring and Summer and Football in the Fall.
"I like cussing, getting drunk, and fooling around with women" Danny Balis
txlonghorn47
LM/FoLM Punt, Pass & Kick Champion

Postby U2-Horn on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 am

Friday Night Lights gets 2 more seasons:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... _more.html
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American