iPhone Applications Thread

A hit-or-miss hodgepode of hyperbolicism...

iPhone Applications Thread

Postby eochs on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Super Monkey Ball - $10
Fun game, but way too hard to control - 4/10

Crash Bandicoot Kart Racing - $10
Like Mario Kart... Good control, great time waster - 8/10

MLB.com at Bat - $5
One of my favorites... Open the app and get all the scores, with links to in-game video highlights - 9/10

Jott - Free
Record your voice and it transcribes it to text for a to-do list for you. Useful when you want to write something down while driving or don't want to use the iPhone keyboard - 7/10

AIM - Free
AOL Instant Messenger... Does what it's supposed to, and does it fairly well - 8/10

Facebook - Free
Good interface to facebook.com... Read your messages, send notes, update status, etc... Not full featured yet, will get a higher rating once they allow you to do more through the app - 6/10

MySpace - Free
Much nicer interface then going to myspace.com! Less clutter, don't have to listen to people's music... 7/10

iTunes Remote - Free
Great remote control for iTunes on your computer... A perfect application... 10/10

Shazam - Free
Hold the iPhone up to a speaker and it identifies a song for you, then allows you to buy it on iTunes... Great app... 9/10

AOL Radio - Free
Listen to streaming radio from stations all around the country... 8/10

PhoneSaber - Free
Puts a lightsaber on your phone! Move the phone around and it makes lightsaber noises... If I could find someone else with it on their phone I'd have the ultimate dork battle of Phonesaber vs Phonesaber... 7/10
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 pm

I've noticed that if you go to apple.com there are probably a 1000 or so more applications than the ones that you see while surfing the application link on your iPhone. Browsing through the below link, I found a lot more interesting applications than the ones that I can view or find through just my iPhone applications button.

http://www.apple.com/webapps/index.html

I downloaded my 1st four apps today.

Shazam - find out what a song on the radio is with this one. Evan explained it above. It is a must have.

BoxOffice - This app will give you the movie theaters in your area and the start times for each movie. I like it. It is easier and quicker to use than the link I have on my iPhone for MovieTickets.com that I currently use for the same info. The only thing I don't like about this application is that I can't include all the movie theaters that I want to. It gives you the option as far as distances from your zip code. I have theaters listed from 5 miles, 10 miles, and 15 miles. There are a couple that are maybe 20 or 25 miles a way that I would like to include. However when I hit the 20 mile or 25 mile feature, It won't list them. You are supposed to be able to list theaters as far as 50 miles a way, but it won't list anything further than 15 miles for me.

Showtimes - Basically the same app as BoxOffice. It's a little more fancy and good looking. Same problem as above. I can't include all the distances that I want to. This app also has a allows you to see upcoming movies in your neighborhood.

Jared - This application gives you a yellow happy face that sings some stupid ass italian song. This is a must not download application. It is a waste of display space.

PhoneSaber - I have fun with this dorky application. I like to run it through the speakers of my SUV. The light saber sounds are really fun at extremely loud decibels. If you are a starwars fan this is a must have.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Those are web apps and don't actually reside on your phone, this they usually have much less functionality....basically, they suck. I had about two dozen on my phone, but I've deleted them since the app store opened.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Bucharest wrote:Those are web apps and don't actually reside on your phone, this they usually have much less functionality....basically, they suck. I had about two dozen on my phone, but I've deleted them since the app store opened.

They don't reside on your phone, but the button does. I do think they reside in your iTunes though. You have to go there to delete them or the button will pop back up after you do a restore. At least that is what I read on a shaggybevo thread.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 pm

and yeah, for the most part they do suck. I'm sure that I will find maybe 1 in 100 that I actually do use.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm

those are full apps Buch... He upgraded his 1st gen iPhone to 2.0... BoxOffice is a good app... With the GPS it will give you the theaters closest to where you are at the exact moment
eochs

Postby BarryBnds on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:32 am

What's the application where it uses the GPS and finds where your friends are around you?
SmoothLonghorn wrote:This Thread Is Worthless Without A Wiz Post About Oklahoma University......Smooth

With a record of 109-23 and 6 Big 12 titles in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
~ Ivan Maisel
BarryBnds
All-American Reject

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 am

loopt
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 am

I know the ones he rates are full apps, but I was referring to the "1000 or so apps found at http://www.apple.com/webapps/index.html"....I actually have the four he listed on my phone, and love them all.

BarryBnds wrote:What's the application where it uses the GPS and finds where your friends are around you?

I think you might be referring to Loopt???
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 am

ah, missed that...

Some more apps...

ESPN: iphone edition - Free
This is technically a webapp, but since I added to my home screen it might as well be a full app... Go to http://espn.mobi in Safari and it will give you an iPhone formatted version of ESPN... You even get streaming ESPN podcasts! 9/10

vSnax - Free
Stupid videos from VH1, E, G4, and a few more tv stations and internet sites... Decent time waster - 6/10

People - Free
Whitepages search for people. Can also do a reverse phone number search... Very handy... 7/10
eochs

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:22 am

Added a few more apps last night.

mylite - Supposedly the best flash light / strobe light/ colored light application. It had great reviews anyway. I laid in bed and played with it for a little bit last night. Haven't got to use it in a life or death situation yet.

Dial Zero - This app gives you the customer service phone number of over 600 companies and allows you to skip the typical computerized voice prompts bullshit and let you talk directly to a human This app had great reviews also. Haven't used it yet.

Pandora Radio - this is free personalized radio station app in the music section. It sounds very interesting. It had over 1000 very positive reviews. I thought I'd give it a try. I just got it set up this morning. I will experiment with it today when I go running. I'm really excited about this app.

Restaurant Nutrition - this app allows a user to easily view nutritional information about restaurant menus and track what they have eaten. etc. etc. Looks interesting. It has lots of good reviews.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm

I'm loving the MLB at bat app...comes in handy when you're away and want to see a few highlights.

Hopefully they have something similar for college football.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Mr. Peabody on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm

i will give that a try.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 am

Now that I've had some time to use a few of these:

-- MLB At Bat -- F'ing beautiful. Robbi and I were out somewhere, and while she was looking for perfume, I was checking out the highlights of the Ranger game that was still in the bottom of the 3rd. Well worth the few dollars it costs. I've heard next season it will be $9.99, which is a bit much, but still probably worth it.

-- Simplify Media -- Can be a pain in the ass to set up, but streams your iTunes library, and your friend's iTunes library, right over your iPhone. Was free to the first 100K, not sure if that number of subscribers has been reached yet. I like it because I have access to my entire library without having to put my entire library on my iPhone. Supposed to work wherever you have a WiFi connection, but I haven't tried this yet.

-- Showtimes -- Basically does what Box Office does above, with links to IMDB, location based movie times, etc. Also has reviews. A good alternative to Box Office, which was removed from the app store, I think.

-- Midomi -- Have a song in your head but can't place it? Hum or sing into this app and it tells you the song. Robbi had a song stuck in her head for weeks that she couldn't place, and this app told her in 10 seconds (September by Earth, Wind and Fire).

-- WeatherBug -- I downloaded this strictly because it has a radar feature, but time will tell if that actually works or not. Seems like it's been a little off sometimes.

-- AOL Radio -- Haven't really used this one much, but it has an All-Tupac channel, so it's automatically greatness.

-- iWant -- Gives you restaurants, bars, grocery stores, convenience stores, clothing stores & pharmacies within a radius that you set yourself. Also includes reviews from Yelp. Very simple, but very effective and does what it says it does.

-- SportsTap -- Gives you scores and box scores for MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA (even baseball), PGA leaderboards, tennis, soccer (yay!), Olympic updates. And news and transactions updates are available, all for free. No highlights, but good if you're out and about and wondering how the PGA Tour is shaping up today.

-- MySpace -- Simple and sweet.

-- Remote -- Finally got this one working...I guess now I can just hook my computer up to the sound system and control iTunes from my iPhone.

-- FaceBook -- Simple and sweet, although it won't update my friends list.

-- PhoneSaber -- Robbi absolutely hates this one.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Bucharest on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Say Who- Voice Dialing

Easy Writer-If you write a lot of e-mails on your iPhone like I do, this is priceless........actually, I think it was free, so it's priceless on two levels. It basically allows you to type e-mail in landscape mode, which should exist anyway.

Trulia-If you're into real estate or shopping for a home....it drops a pin on your location, and based on your criteria, finds all houses for sale in the area within whatever range you decide. There weren't a ton of listings to begin with, but it's increased greatly since I first downloaded it.

Goggle Earth- HOLY CRAP!!!

I have a few more that I'm forgetting.....I'll get to those when I'm bored at work tomorrow.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:46 pm

How is the iPhone 3G going these days? Lots of problems, or have the kinks been ironed out for the most part?

My 2 years are up on my current phone so I can now get a subsidized one from AT&T.
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:13 pm

U2-Horn wrote:How is the iPhone 3G going these days? Lots of problems, or have the kinks been ironed out for the most part?

My 2 years are up on my current phone so I can now get a subsidized one from AT&T.

The battery still isn't the greatest, but my dropped calls have dropped to pretty much nil.

WiFi/3G works great.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:07 am

The mapping app on Matt's iphone came in handy when I needed to get a visual on how to get to Drew's apartment.
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Simon Honeybone on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:37 pm

Urbanspoon is pretty cool too now that they came out with the revised version that will reset your location upon opening it. The older version locked to wherever you were when you first loaded the program which made it completely useless. It's definitely nice when you are on the road and in a part of town you don't know the places to eat.
I fart in the B_S & Big XII's general direction
Simon Honeybone
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Bucharest on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:40 pm

I stuck with the OG version, and probably will until some of these applications get so large(which I hope they do), that I'll actually need more than 8 GB.

Until then....sticking with the first generation. I've heard about the battery and phone issues, but hell, I'll be shallow and just say that I think it looks better.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:47 pm

I leave my GPS turned off unless I need it. I absolutely love it when I do need to use it. It is a battery burner though.

I also leave my 3G turned off. Edge is fast enough for me. Besides, most places have wifi anyway.

I love to use my calendar. I did have about 8-10 applications on my phone. For some reason or another my calender syncing would f up all the time. I finally got rid of all the applications on my iPhone and now my iPhone syncs perfectly and flawlessly all the time.

I did put 3 new applications on my iPhone yesterday on the way down to the Gaylord Texan Hotel.

Flixster - A movie application. I like it better than the former 2 movie apps that I previously had.

Around Me - I really love this travel application. I used it yesterday several times. I'll use it tonight when we travel on an away high school football game.

This is not an App but, if you go to espn using your iPhone they have an iPhone setup where you can watch/track live football games. There is a football field on the screen which shows every play by both sides.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:50 pm

ESPN's iPhone app is out-fing-standing... Even the fantasy league stuff is crazy good...

It is the coolest app that I've ever seen for an iPhone.
eochs

Postby Bucharest on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Is there an ESPN app(outside of the "Cameraman" app), or are you just referring to the mobile version of ESPN.com.....which I agree, is out-fing-standing. The features, look and feel are incredible, but it's so damn quick as well.
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Bucharest wrote:Is there an ESPN app(outside of the "Cameraman" app), or are you just referring to the mobile version of ESPN.com.....which I agree, is out-fing-standing. The features, look and feel are incredible, but it's so damn quick as well.

the mobile version of ESPN, which in my address thread reads

m.espn.go.com/wireless/

I bookmarked it and Added a Home Screen Button for it.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:42 pm

I like Pro Football Live and College Football Live. Good apps with an assload of stats, play by play, etc.
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Next

Return to Strange, But True