New Orleans is f'ed

Just about everything you want to post...

Re: New Orleans is f'ed

Postby HornMafia on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:03 pm

If anyone is looking for some not so light Summer reading, I highly recommend The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley.

Brinkley is a professor at Tulane University and stayed in the city during Katrina. The book is a great historical account, without delving too much into editorial comments on politics or what not.

The book gives a scathing review of Ray Nagin's incompetency, Governor Blanco, who was slightly more prepared than Nagin but could only sit around and literally cry while on the phone to President Bush, and FEMA director Michael Brown, who sought opinions on his fashion choices during television appearances during the worst crisis in American history.

It tells how the FEMA convoy got lost when they rolled into town on Monday night, and relied on faulty information and didn't even try to get downtown that night like originally planned. It tells how the National Guard chose to use Jackson Barracks, which is below sea level in New Orleans, as a staging area instead of keeping their equipment and vehicles dry in another city like the Coast Guard did. It tells how the leader of FEMA on the ground was a retired fire chief from Fairfax, VA who didn't even know how to say Tchoupitoulas, much less find it on the map. It tells how Ray Nagin chose to hole up in the Hyatt Hotel, instead of every other city worker than was at City Hall, and refused to make a "bullhorn speech" because he feared for his safety on the streets of New Orleans.

It tells of how one woman used an upside down desk to feed dozens of her neighbors, and at the end of the night went on the rooftop to cool off and rest and was raped. It tells how FEMA ordered that nobody go into the city until they said to go, forcing guards on the interstates to pull their guns on citizens driving up trying to help with boats on hitches. It tells how FEMA let gasoline sit in a trailer instead of letting St. Bernard parish use it for their emergency vehicles. It tells how 200 NOPD officers walked off the job before the hurricane even hit, and tells of how Nagin let hundreds of buses get flooded in their parking lot instead of busing people out of town before the storm hit. It tells how Nagin's hesitancy to order a mandatory evacuation was because he was fearful of hotels suing the city if Katrina were to miss New Orleans, and therefore many didn't feel that the need to evacuate was that urgent, and how hotels filled up with tourists and residents that decided to evacuate on Sunday, and there no hotels for emergency workers or rescue workers.

Fascinating, fascinating read and I'm only on Tuesday morning.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:12 pm

I may need to borrow that from you after I borrow Robbi's newest Feinstein book.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:15 pm

Wow. Interested.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Silverado on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I saw it when we were down at your place. Definitly going to give it a look.
"All that schooling, and it takes a knucklehead who's passed out on the couch with a foam finger on to connect them with the outside world."--JRod
Silverado
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Makaveli on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 am

Interesting that we were discussing destruction of New Orleans allegedly 3 days before the residents of the city new anything was wrong.

Whatever communication channels they used to get 2 million people into Washington DC in less than one day during freezing temperatures for the Obama inauguration should be used the next time they need to get 200,000 people to walk out of New Orleans at 85 degrees on 5 days notice.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

New Orleans is f'ed

Postby HornMafia on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Might want to keep an eye on the @brendanloy twitter feed...
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

New Orleans is f'ed

Postby LMQueen on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Fascinating.

I hope they get it right this time. Or that the forecasts are wrong.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Previous

Return to FOLM (Friends of the LM)