2015 Oscars

Just about everything you want to post...

2015 Oscars

Postby eochs on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:53 am

American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, and Grand Budapest now seen. Foxcatcher and Whiplash still to come (I've got them downloaded), and possibly Imitation Game if we can find the time to make it to the movies.

Birdman was great. Beautifully shot, great writing and acting, just weird enough to be a great film.

American Sniper I did not like very much as a movie, just thought it was poorly laid out and didn't get its point made.

Grand Budapest Hotel is my favorite movie from this year and possibly my favorite "smart" comedy of all time. Just an incredible movie.

Boyhood we watched tonight. Without a doubt one of the best films I have ever seen. Linklater did something that really has never been done before, and made a movie about nothing with really no plot that manages to make you think about the meaning of life in a way that no movie ever has. Watching the dynamics of a family and a son grow and change over the course of 10 years, it felt like I was watching a real family and not a scripted drama. 10/10
"Tony Romo is going to take us to Miami." - UTWiz
eochs
Admin/2-time LMFZ WSoP Champ

Re: 2015 Oscars

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:55 pm

I thought Foxcatcher was boring. I would have given Fiennes or Gyllenhaal an best actor nomination over Carell.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm

What did you think of boyhood Kevin?
eochs

Postby eochs on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:37 pm

I can't bring myself to watch yet another historical period piece drama like Selma
eochs

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought Boyhood was well done, but am not as high on it as you are. I am out on Selma too. Still need to see American Sniper.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Bucharest on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:35 pm

I'm with you 100%, Boyhood was great, but I thought Imitation Game was a much better film.....much better.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 pm

I have no problem if they call Boyhood best picture, but while watching it I couldn't quit thinking about how great it could have been, or should have been.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Bucharest on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Gagreed. Fell flat at times....THERE, I said it.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby eochs on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:57 pm

I will say that Patricia Arquette was the weak spot in the film for me. Her lines felt forced.
The kid really looked like Ethan Hawke at 17-18 years old. I am psyched to see Imitation Game, but it will take a perfect movie to top Boyhood for me
eochs

Postby eochs on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:30 am

Saw Imitation Game. Thought it was just better then average. Felt like a poor mans version of A Beautiful Mind. Benedict Cumberbatch was great, Keira Knightly I really don't get why she is nominated. I'm not saying it was bad in any way, but it felt like the same formula I've seen in dozens of movies. 7/10. Give me Boyhood or Birdman any day
eochs

Postby oneputtlarry on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:23 am

Of course my response is 4 months late, but at the time I had picked "Birdman" for Oscar for Best Picture and Michael Keaton for Best Actor. I still think Keaton should have received the Oscar for Best Actor. But congrats to Eddie Redmayne.

A side note about Keaton for Best Actor...back in April following the Oscars, Keaton was a guest on David Letterman and was telling Letterman about a big luncheon or dinner he had attended in Hollywood just a few days prior to "Oscar Night"...it was for all the Oscar nominees and many Academy folks. Folks were being seated and Keaton was walking between tables and an older gentleman seated at a table by himself motioned for Keaton to come over...Keaton walks over and sits down next to him. He tells Keaton he has been a member of the Academy for 50 years or so and that Keaton's performance is the best screen performance this guy had ever witnessed and had even gone back to the theatre to see "Birdman" three more times! Keaton said he was so moved by the man's comment and thought to himself at that very moment, "HEY, I'M A LOCK! I'M A SHOO-IN!"

Keaton thanks the guy and as he stands up to excuse himself from the table, the guy reaches up and grabs Keaton's arm and says, "By the way, 'ILLNESS' always wins!"
Michael said to himself, "I'M F-----!"
"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist." http://www.theputtingedge.com
oneputtlarry
All Conference
All Conference

Return to FOLM (Friends of the LM)