The Restaurant Thread

Just about everything you want to post...

The Restaurant Thread

Postby Bucharest on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

I was going to initially title this "The NEW Restaurant Thread", but hell, I'm sure there are plenty of older ones that we're all unaware of that are great. Also, my bad if this already exists, but outside of the "Five Guys" thread, I didn't see anything.

We're pretty lucky in Austin these days on this front as there's a ton of new places that have recently opened, and a lot more on the way.

Dai Due - Probably my favorite restaurant right now. If you live on the East Side it's a must, but it's also worth the drive no matter where you're at in Austin. If you haven't been there yet Drew, then we should definitely go.....actually, we should go even if you have. They also now serve breakfast and lunch before closing a couple hours before dinner service. I had breakfast there this morning......Biscuits and Gravy with smoked venison sausage for a whopping $9.....very reasonably priced.....and on a side note, basically shares a parking lot with Haymaker.

Odd Duck - If Dai Due isn't my favorite restaurant, then Odd Duck probably is. One of the many food trucks that finally went brick and mortar, and man that place is awesome. It's not terribly expensive, but can get there if you have a minor drinking problem, so with this group, yeah, be prepared. That being said, their drinks are awesome, and it's right across the street from Gibson, which I love....also across from the Alamo on South Lamar.

Fixe - Finally went there this week.....place is awesome....think upscale Southern cuisine.....whatever that means, but not real expensive. I had the veal brisket, which I highly recommend, but took bites of their fried chicken and lobster and crawfish pot pie......yes.....lobster and crawfish pot pie....all awesome dishes. They have an entire "Grits" section on their menu. As for the bar, this is definitely a whiskey/bourbon place, which makes sense, but they have roughly 20 whiskey/bourbon options, so probably won't have to drag Chay there. This is right across from the new Federal Courthouse in the IBC building, so great location if you're going out downtown afterwards.

Has anyone been to Lenoir, Fork and Vine, The Peached Tortilla, LaV or Fork and Taco yet....think those are next on the list.
Last edited by Bucharest on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Postby HornMafia on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Have heard good things about all those places.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:36 pm

I don't know man, I just think that....
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Bucharest on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:05 am

Dude, I hear that!!!
" How come it took three seconds to euthanize Eight Belles, but the WNBA is starting Year 12?" - Bill Simmons
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 am

I never heard of any of those places. Yet again.

I'll add this, slightly off topic since its a chain restaurant and all.... But I finally got around to trying the pork chop at Perry's. It's stunning. I wasn't prepared for the magnitude of that experience.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Bucharest on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:28 am

Yeah, that pork chop is glorious every time.....big fan of Perry's, especially on Fridays where that pork chop is what....$15 or so?
Bucharest
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Perry's pork chop is the truth.

Have not been to any of those places yet, Buch. need to try Dai Due.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby 12ozLongneck on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I am in on the Perry's pork chop love.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby U2-Horn on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:21 am

Fork and Taco was really good. Pork Shoulder especially.
"There's a freedom you begin to feel the closer you get to Austin, Texas."
--Willie
U2-Horn
All American
All American

Return to FOLM (Friends of the LM)