5... 4... 3... 2... 1... And we're done

Just about everything you want to post...

5... 4... 3... 2... 1... And we're done

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Got laid off this morning. I was pretty sure that it was coming because we've all known that layoffs were on the way and The Powers That Be know that I'm about a month away from being done with school and that I'd like to move on to bigger and better things sooner rather than later. I became pretty damn sure it was coming when I saw the HR lady writing what I (correctly) believed to be my name on a big white envelope last Friday and we've all come to know that means certain death at our company these days. On Friday, I told our HR lady that I have 3 midterms this week and asked her to drop the hammer on me right then and there if they were planning on getting rid of me so that I could have time to get over the initial shock and get back to preparing for my tests. "Never on Friday. That's our policy." I tried to explain that I would be too busy studying to go on a two day coke bender and shoot the office up on Monday morning, but that didn't get me anywhere.

Anyways, the layoffs started bright and early at 8 this morning. They canned our receptionist and a project manager and then I got the call from my boss and the controller. I told them that I understood that times are tough and, like they said, I knew this wasn't anything personal and didn't have anything to do with my performance. I did tell them that they were pretty sorry for making me dread this all weekend and wasting my time by forcing me to come up there so they could do what should have been done last week, but other than that it was pretty uneventful. Seriously... I knew and they knew I knew and I knew they knew I knew, so why string it out any longer than necessary?

So, now I've got a bastard of a midterm to take tonight and, even though I knew it was coming, I've got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and can barely think straight. I knew that it was coming, so I don't know why I feel this way.

A word of advice: If you're ever in a position to lay somebody off, don't fucking say anything like "Ooooh... You have no idea how hard this has been for us." "We're so sorry" and "This was soooooooo hard for us" doesn't drop money into somebody's bank account every other week or make the person you're laying off feel better, but it does make the person you're laying off give serious thought to jumping across the desk like Evil Roy Williams in the 2001 Texas-OU game and gouging your eyes out with his bare hands.

Also, why the fuck do companies lay people off when there's a ton of people around? Our project manager was in tears when she left the HR lady's office and had to walk back to her desk to grab her shit. There were a bunch of people around and everybody saw it. Nobody deserves that, least of all our project manager who is one of the greatest people that I've ever worked with.

Anyways, fuck my life.
Your existence is not impossible, but it’s also not very likely.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Re: 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... And we're done

Postby HornMafia on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Sorry to hear that, Kevin.
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Sorry, dude.

And I agree on your advice... I would never complement the worst news you could give someone with pedestrian platitudes.
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby BevoisaSoxFan on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I gotta say that I think it's pretty shitty that they did it on a Monday. I've always thought companies were best served doing it on Thursday or Friday mainly so the layed off employee can cool off over the weekend and start fresh on Monday.

Like you, when I got layed off way back in 2002, I knew it was coming but it still sucked when it happened.

Did you get a decent severance?
BevoisaSoxFan
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Sorry Kev. Kick the midterms' ass.
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:36 pm

BevoisaSoxFan wrote:I gotta say that I think it's pretty shitty that they did it on a Monday. I've always thought companies were best served doing it on Thursday or Friday mainly so the layed off employee can cool off over the weekend and start fresh on Monday.

Like you, when I got layed off way back in 2002, I knew it was coming but it still sucked when it happened.

Did you get a decent severance?

I got three weeks worth plus my accrued vacation time.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Go "Evil Roy Williams" on the midterm dude. Sorry to hear that another of our brethren has come under the knife! ](*,)
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby LMQueen on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:36 pm

Sorry, Kevin.
As an HR lady, I would have given you your envelope on Friday. :)
Good luck with the rest of your school year and the job search.
Having the opposite viewpoint from you ensures my moral supremecy.

-UTWiz
LMQueen
Goomah
Goomah

Postby Bevo71 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Sorry about your situation, Kevin. That's rough. Even though you sensed it was near, the reality really bites.
I hope you are able to bring your focus back on the exam tonight.
Bevo71
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words everybody. The exam could have gone better, but it could have gone worse.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Mr. Peabody on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Kevin.

I agree with your laying off / firing advice.

get it done.

I used to be a nice guy about it. No more. If you ain't carrying your weight, I'll fire you right before your wedding/honeymoon or right before Christmas. I don't give a damn anymore.

Laying off someone b/c of the economy is a whole different thing though. I'll keep you as long as I can. I would guess the powers that be didn't want to ruin your weekend. Pretty dumb, but that is all I can come up with.

I hope you are the last guy on this site to get laid off.

God Bless You.

I hope you and Matt rebound quickly.
Mr. Peabody
All American
All American

Postby Reinheitsgebot on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 pm

planning on that bender @ Jimmy Buffet show? :-"
"In bed on non-recreational drugs is no place for a drinking man" - Wheeler
Reinheitsgebot
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:05 pm

I already want to die and therefore have no reason to attend a Jimmy Buffet show.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:36 am

Just got a call out of the blue from someone that I spoke with regarding an auditing position a few weeks ago. The interview is next week.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:08 am

Sweet! Good luck and hopefully this turns out to be a blessing in disguise....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby UTwiz on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am

I can't fathom how nervous I would be about Kevin auditing my work . . .
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby dahorns on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:23 pm

sorry to hear, good luck with your interview next week
you have great outlook on the present and future.
also, sorry to hear about your co-worker.
More so, I'm kind of bummed we won't be getting any Kevin at work rants. 8)
dahorns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby UTwiz on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 pm

If he becomes an auditor, we might have access to even MORE of them.
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby MBK271 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 am

Terrible to hear Kev.

This whole thing sucks.

Good luck on your interview and with the rest of school.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 am

Second interview over the phone in about 45 minutes. I hate phone interviews because you get nothing in the way of non-verbal feedback and it's hard to know when to keep talking and when to shut your trap.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 'Hornbybirth on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:34 pm

How did it go, Kevin?
"Resident Section Jackass!"

Everyone wants Texas to compromise– understandably– but what are the rest of the schools offering the Longhorns? It’s Texas with the groundbreaking network. It’s Texas with the most to lose.
'Hornbybirth
All Conference
All Conference

Postby 12ozLongneck on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:48 pm

It went well, but the funds for hiring haven't been released quite yet. It will probably be a couple weeks until I know for sure.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:49 pm

The funds still haven't been released at the aforementioned place. That's frustrating, but the people I'm dealing with are at the mercy of their overlords. I hope I get this job because the pay is great and you guys will get to laugh your ass off at how hypocritical it is of me to even think about working there. Let's just say that it's in a growing industry.

I have an interview with a recruiter for a staff accountant position on Wednesday. It's not really what I want to do long term, but it will do for the time being. Recruiters always seem really shady to me.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Recruiters always seem really shady to me.

Thanks! :?

Actually I understand. We get a bad rap because there are 1000 recruiters out there who don't know what they are doing and just trying to make a buck. Most are looking for a job themselves and won't be in it for a career anyway. It's a constant battle for me.

I'd recommend asking how many years they have been in the business and how many active companies their company is working with. If they haven't been doing it for 5 years minimum, don't bother interviewing with them unless they have a specific opportunity and tell you who the company is. If they don't have at least 5-10 Account Managers there probably isn't enough opportunity for you to waste your time with unless AGAIN they have a specific company/job opening.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby 12ozLongneck on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Markaholic wrote:
Recruiters always seem really shady to me.

Thanks! :?

Actually I understand. We get a bad rap because there are 1000 recruiters out there who don't know what they are doing and just trying to make a buck. Most are looking for a job themselves and won't be in it for a career anyway. It's a constant battle for me.

Yeah... Present company excluded, obviously.

The guy who placed me at my last job seemed solid until he got shitcanned by the firm he was working for when he placed me because he tried to sell Amway to everybody on his contact list. He called me shortly after that and attempted to get me to sign up for some electric service pyramid scheme. He didn't last very long at the next firm he worked for and is done with the recruiting game as far as I can tell.

I'd recommend asking how many years they have been in the business and how many active companies their company is working with. If they haven't been doing it for 5 years minimum, don't bother interviewing with them unless they have a specific opportunity and tell you who the company is. If they don't have at least 5-10 Account Managers there probably isn't enough opportunity for you to waste your time with unless AGAIN they have a specific company/job opening.

This was in response to a resume I submitted for a specific position and it looks like they have a couple of other things that might be a good fit for me as well.
12ozLongneck
All American
All American

Next

Return to FOLM (Friends of the LM)