Wheeler's Texas Independence Day e-mail

Just about everything you want to post...

Wheeler's Texas Independence Day e-mail

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 am

So I'm perusing HF and see a thread titled "What do you love about Texas?"

Good thread, right?

Midway through someone posts Wheeler's infamous letter, says "its author has been debated," and attributes it to... wait for it... Bum Phillips.

So I quoted it, changed the name to Bob Wheeler, and added Jeremy's/Kevin's favorite line ("fixed it for you").

Now I'm afraid that it's going to come to light that Wheeler didn't actually write it. I know someone will make that claim, given the unfounded disdain so many of those yahoos have for him (which I don't understand, as most never met him).
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:56 am

Have you ever seen The Toy?
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby MBK271 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:03 am

Man, I remember on LFZ some guy always posted the letters of William B Travis leading up to the battle and encompassing Texas Independence day... i LOVED those.

I might try this year.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Markaholic on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:10 am

Yeah, there was a 3 page thread on Wheeler yesterday on OB's. I think I set the record straight. Told them I saw the original. Jeremy and Smooth took part too. Was nice to have a few of the old LFZ pipe in like Cuernos Largos that don't post here or BOFZ.

Someone must have read that thread and took the idea over to HF's.

I don't go there, so ya'll have fun. Did my once a year Wheeler defense and I'm already tired of it...AGAIN.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:14 am

We're coming up on it, Seth; It was dated 2/24/1836.

"To the People of Texas and All Americans in the World":

Fellow citizens & compatriots;

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country. Victory or Death

William Barret Travis

Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
"God has a plan for me and this team. It's obvious I don't need to win [the Heisman] until next year.' Colt f'n McCoy
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby Drew Corleone on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:15 am

Markaholic wrote:Yeah, there was a 3 page thread on Wheeler yesterday on OB's. I think I set the record straight. Told them I saw the original. Jeremy and Smooth took part too. Was nice to have a few of the old LFZ pipe in like Cuernos Largos that don't post here or BOFZ.

Someone must have read that thread and took the idea over to HF's.

I don't go there, so ya'll have fun. Did my once a year Wheeler defense and I'm already tired of it...AGAIN.

I'm not looking to defend anything, or go down that path. I just think it's respectful to properly attribute a piece of writing that so many people enjoy reading.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 am

Yeah, I think it was the diary entries and not letters... my bad.
why don't you run back to the sandbox where the rest of the kids are playing so the adults can have a discussion...it's over there....you see Howie, he's over there with PMS knocking over other kids sandcastles...looks like fun.
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Blondie on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:40 pm

FYI... If anyone requests an eyewitness account of him writing it, well, I was there. At his ranch. When he wrote it. On Microsoft Word. And the trip to Europe he talks about? I was there, too.

You know, ours was a tumultous relationship at best, short-lived, with both good and bad memories... But I will defend his writing as HIS OWN for ever and ever and ever.
Blondie
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Postby UTwiz on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Bob W. > KD and VY > Bum Phillips > Chauncey Billups > Wade Phillips > Seth's wagering preferences > Wiz's expert opinion in football recruiting . . .
"Lord protect me from my friends. I can take care of my enemies." - Brandon Collins' forearm tatoo
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby MBK271 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:39 pm

:lol:
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:10 pm

I think the letter got Wheeler his second "huge call of the day" on Rome.
"A Hundred Times Nothing Killed the Donkey" -- Czech Proverb
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby beam,coke,&horns on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:19 pm

Hey, I was defebdubg him aswell on OB. In fact, since I rarely post over there one guy thought I was Bob.
utwiz sees everyone but himself as an idiot. i think he should look in the mirror.-OB
beam,coke,&horns
All Conference
All Conference

Postby Markaholic on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:24 pm

Yes, you too!

defebdubg him aswell

Nice Friday night typing, btw.
Markaholic
All American
All American

Postby HornMafia on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:34 pm

[greggo]yawwweelllll[/greggo]
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Yes, you too!
Quote:
defebdubg him aswell

Nice Friday night typing, btw.

UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Ben Beam 750 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:42 pm

I think the letter got Wheeler his second "huge call of the day" on Rome

Did this really happen? I don't remember ever hearing about that. I met Wheeler a bunch of times. He was always a super nice guy. I see so many people fly off the handle when his name comes up that I have to believe he did something to really piss them off. I know the story about the bus trip. It seems like they are pissed about more than that.

It is still totally bizarre that he supposedly hasn't made an appearance on any of these boards since. I enjoyed his commentary.
Ben Beam 750
Walk-On
Walk-On

Postby Makaveli on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 pm

I'll let somebody else take that one.

Drew, maybe ?
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby SmoothLonghorn on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:17 am

Katie, is that you? It's me, Jeff.....
I have no problem with people like Smooth who know what they believe and why they believe it - even if it is different than I.--UTwiz
SmoothLonghorn
All American
All American

Postby Makaveli on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:20 am

Yeah, that's me. But I'm looking for Chad (Hunter's Dad)
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby HornMafia on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 am

Welcome to the Cactus Coffin, bitch!
“I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.” -- Kanye West
HornMafia
Capo di tutti capi

Postby UTwiz on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:37 am

Can I shoehorn a Pooper in here somewhere?
UTwiz
#1 Dirk Fan!

Postby Makaveli on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 am

ya'll are all my bitches
Makaveli
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Drew Corleone on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am

Funny shit about a dumb ho.
Drew Corleone
Capo di tutti capi

Postby MBK271 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:49 am

I'll shut this sumbitch down!
MBK271
All American
All American

Postby rtapia on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:00 pm

Wheeler, check your messages.
rtapia
Special Teamer
Special Teamer

Next

Return to FOLM (Friends of the LM)